Velicka - will we ever see him again?

BigSpliff

Apparently he's been rested from competitive duty because he's burnt out after 2 years consecutive football.

One would have thought our management/scouts/physios would have thought about that before we paid £1million for his services but I guess one would be wrong... ;)

This guy cost money - money we can ill afford.

Does anyone know exactly why he's not featured and why whatever happened has happened?

Really bugs me, this sort of thing.

the claim is he was 'tired' and that he will be more visible in January. Hes not on the list to dump in January

they are reported to be ; Brahim Hemdani, Charlie Adam, Graeme Smith, Chris Burke, DaMarcus Beasley and Christian Dailly

Apparently he's been rested from competitive duty because he's burnt out after 2 years consecutive football.

One would have thought our management/scouts/physios would have thought about that before we paid £1million for his services but I guess one would be wrong... ;)

Aye, that was an odd one.

Burnout even though he wasn't a regular at Hearts or Viking <_<

He's played around 70 games in the last 28/30 months, I personally don't think that's paramount to burnout. We almost played that ourselves last year!

Well he did have some problems with his health for part of this season apparently, and let's be honest at the beginning of the season the management couldn't really be sure who would work out in the striker's roles, and as we have Miller and Boyd playing well, and even Lafferty and Novo looking like a good wee partnership it is going to be difficult for him having any chance of a game now and on top of that Naismith coming back from injury a lot quicker than expected.

Mmmm - we'll see .......

Dont you think its weird that this sort if thing can even happen in the first place?

Football managers get away with murder, if I was SDM I'd be tearing a strip off the mob that appear to have wasted all this money.

Football managers get away with murder, if I was SDM I'd be tearing a strip off the mob that appear to have wasted all this money.

It's a valid point actually.

SDM does get a lot of criticism (some fair, some not) but no-one can deny he has backed Smith with reasonable funds (even if we accept the Hutton/Cuellar cash). At this stage, value for money seems questionable.

Of course, SDM was the one who appointed the manager whom he trusts with his money.

Buying any player is a risk though irrespective of how much you pay for them, you can have a big named player who has played for supposedly bigger clubs but it doesn't gauranteee that they'll be a success at Rangers.

I understand that mate - better players than Velicka have failed at clubs, the ones that bug me are the guys who join, play for a few minutes then simply disappear. Got to be down to management error, surely?

Maybe football is different because it 'just is', but anybody else employing someone who simply does not fit in/settle/needs a long rest etc (without actually appearing to do anything else in the meantime) would be humiliated by the experience.

Buying any player is a risk though irrespective of how much you pay for them, you can have a big named player who has played for supposedly bigger clubs but it doesn't gauranteee that they'll be a success at Rangers.

Of course - hence the reason for maximising their chances of success.

Signing a player who has obvious fitness problems isn't doing that so any criticism is valid.

I understand that mate - better players than Velicka have failed at clubs, the ones that bug me are the guys who join, play for a few minutes then simply disappear. Got to be down to management error, surely?

Maybe football is different because it 'just is', but anybody else employing someone who simply does not fit in/settle/needs a long rest etc (without actually appearing to do anything else in the meantime) would be humiliated by the experience.

The same sort of conversations were talked about when KT first joined us and he was playing pretty regularly in his first few months, a lot of the time he was getting slated people saying we should never have signed him and he wasn't good enough for Rangers etc.

Now we're missing him as he finally settled and started to play a lot better and we don't really have anyone in the middle of the park with the same bite as him.

Never struck me as a worthwhile potential target when he was at Hearts. Appeared to have failed to command a place in Norway where Viking were delighted and relieved to get rid of him.

Pointless signing apart from giving the illusion that Boyd and McCulloch are speedy, mobile players.

The same sort of conversations were talked about when KT first joined us and he was playing pretty regularly in his first few months, a lot of the time he was getting slated people saying we should never have signed him and he wasn't good enough for Rangers etc.

Now we're missing him as he finally settled and started to play a lot better and we don't really have anyone in the middle of the park with the same bite as him.

Yeah, but totally different situation in that KT was playing regularly and trying to establish himself in the glare of the spotlight. Velicka on the other hand.......

I'm not slating the player or saying we shouldn't have signed him - rather that I would like to see him play and find out if we can get value for money.

Such a catch 22 situation, yes I would like to see him play as well and see how well he does (or doesn't do) but I wouldn't want to split up the Miller/Boyd partnership just to sate my curiosity.

Maybe he will get a run out in the CIS Cup or the Scottish Cup or whatever they're called now!

Don't be surprised if he makes an appearance against Celtic. Big physical player & good in the air - two attributes which Caldwell and McManus (ala McLeish & Miller!) cannot deal with. If you add Loovens to the frame then we will be laughing even more.

Wouldn't expect him to start but sure he will come on at some point. Boyd has done enough to prove he can start against them and I hope he scores because his confidence could take a huge dent if he doesn't perform or nick a goal.

aye i remember when he played for the hearts he used to play on the wings ,cut inside and bang ,particularly on the left why not give him a shot of our troublesome position he might just surprise us ,after all big lee got a game there last week and as usual disapeared for the entire time he was on the park ,in fact when he was running off it was the fastest he moved all day .

aye i remember when he played for the hearts he used to play on the wings ,cut inside and bang ,particularly on the left why not give him a shot of our troublesome position he might just surprise us ,after all big lee got a game there last week and as usual disapeared for the entire time he was on the park ,in fact when he was running off it was the fastest he moved all day .

I have NEVER seen Velicka play on the left wing :blink:

I don't understand that one bit tbh. He played less games than most of our squad did last season.

Velicka out on the wing :lol: he's slower and lazier than Kris Boyd.