Me vs the Gridiron - I complain to my work!

Boab

I work for John Lewis Direct, been in backoffice and now in front office once more.

I noticed this in the Football section: http://www.johnlewis.com/230414574/Product.aspx

So I complained, wonder if it will get back to me :mutley::blush:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing today complain about you're placing of a product on your website.

What I am referring to is: The Wilson Junior American Football - Product code - 35150605 - This is in the Football section.

While some may enjoy this sport (Gridiron) as a hobby, I do not, and find it disrespectful to my favourite sport of Football that this item which is from a totally different sport is associated with this the world's favourite 'sort' of Football.

There isn't a Gridiron section admittedly but there could be an other sports section or even this item could be put in the Rugby section or indeed, its own section?

At the end of the day, Gridiron is a very minority sport in the UK and I don't see why it should infiltrate the section of one of Britain's biggest and best exports.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

'Boab'

I work for John Lewis Direct, been in backoffice and now in front office once more.

I noticed this in the Football section: http://www.johnlewis.com/230414574/Product.aspx

Dear Sir/Madam,

What I am referring to is: The Wilson Junior American Football - Product code - 35150605 - This is in the Football section.

While some may enjoy this sport (Gridiron) as a hobby, I do not, and find it disrespectful to my favourite sport of Football that this item which is from a totally different sport is associated with this the world's favourite 'sort' of Football.

There isn't a Gridiron section admittedly but there could be an other sports section or even this item could be put in the Rugby section or indeed, its own section?

At the end of the day, Gridiron is a very minority sport in the UK and I don't see why it should infiltrate the section of one of Britain's biggest and best exports.

Best Regards,

'Boab'

I agree Boab. It should not be in the same section as the books which will appear, lauding Smith's glorious SPL title success this year. ;)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

Boab you know I like you but you are a numphty! :rolleyes:

I agree Boab. It should not be in the same section as the books which will appear, lauding Smith's glorious SPL title success this year. ;)

(tu)

I don't think so, but I hope so!

boab you care way too much - you'd love my work we have hundreds of different forms for complaining about stuff

and if you dont use the right form they complain :mutley:

Tbh, I felt like just walking up to the web discrepancy women or raising a query myself but thought it best for it be treated like any query and not someone who works in the partnership.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

Is that why 90,000 fans have sold out Wembley 2 years running?

Is that why 450,000 people applied for tickets on both occasions?

Is that why the Patriots and Buccaneers are coming over to the UK this year?

Is that why the NFL are trying to set up a franchise in London to please the "huge" support the game has over here and in central Europe.

Stop talking pish Boab, NFL has a big following in the UK and it is getting bigger every year.

Guest therabbitt

I love the NFL, had been a casual follower all my life but have gotten really into it the last few years.

Mon the Chargers!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

Is that why the NFL are trying to set up a franchise in London to please the "huge" support the game has over here and in central Europe.

Stop talking pish Boab, NFL has a big following in the UK and it is getting bigger every year.

Overmarketed pish. That's all yer grid-iron is.

It's full of big fat homos who need helmets and shoulder pads before they'd go in for a tackle.

They wouldn't last a minute in a real sport like rugby or football.

You omit that 440,000 applications were from touts who sold them on to the social inadequates who think it's "cool" to follow a US "sport".

It's basically British Bulldogs with a rugby ball.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

It's full of big fat homos who need helmets and shoulder pads before they'd go in for a tackle.

You omit that 440,000 applications were from touts who sold them on to the social inadequates who think it's "cool" to follow a US "sport".

You know I've heard the "rugby is more tough than American football" argument before and know a handful of people who have played both, and they say the pain barrier is about the same in both sports. I played American football in high school and it's one of the most physically demanding and painful things I've ever participated in. As for the pads and helmets, imagine a 250 pound man smashing a hard plastic helmet against you after running full speed, it hurts like hell.

And as for a sport of big fat guys, some of the linemen are certainly big, but most of the players would put most guys on Rangers to real shame in terms of fitness and athleticism.

I'm no fan of NFL, but to say those guys aren't fit or girly because they wear pads is nonsense.

It's a very physically demanding game, and a very short career at the top. Is the average NFL career not like 3 seasons.

Some sense at last.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

You know I've heard the "rugby is more tough than American football" argument before and know a handful of people who have played both, and they say the pain barrier is about the same in both sports. I played American football in high school and it's one of the most physically demanding and painful things I've ever participated in. As for the pads and helmets, imagine a 250 pound man smashing a hard plastic helmet against you after running full speed, it hurts like hell.

And as for a sport of big fat guys, some of the linemen are certainly big, but most of the players would put most guys on Rangers to real shame in terms of fitness and athleticism.

TBH it's a different form of athleticism. Some guys need pace. Some need strength. Some need both but others are just fat lumps with no pace, agility or skill.

Stamina isn't as necessary, due to the stop-start nature of the game.

Obviously, I wouldn't let the big slow 250-pounder anywhere near me. Seriously though, you don't need helmets if the other side doesn't have them.

It's all a bit hyped up, overdone and at core, simple, to be an attractive sport for me.

I've noticed that US sports(gridiron, basketball, ice hockey and baseball) are rather simple and based around big "action points" and have little space for skill or wonderful team moves, by comparison with real football or even rugby. That said, I do find basketball and ice hockey far less unappealing. I can almost watch a full quarter of those sports. Almost.

I'm no fan of NFL, but to say those guys aren't fit or girly because they wear pads is nonsense.

It's a very physically demanding game, and a very short career at the top. Is the average NFL career not like 3 seasons.

Purely because there's no athletes in the game.

Don't all the big fat ones die before they reach 30, such is their lack of condition?

Some sense at last.

Where? You should've quoted it.

Don't all the big fat ones die before they reach 30, such is their lack of condition?

Some sense at last.

There are +220lb guys that can run sub 12 second 100m, with pads on. That is impressive and very athletic.

To be an NFL standard player you have to be dedicated or very naturally talented. Unlike football there are not many clubs, so it's hard to make it to the top. Unlike football where you can make a comfortable living at lower table sides.

So why are they so fat and die so young?

Some sense at last.

Offensive lineman are the biggest as it is their job to protect the quarterback. However, they are all set weight targets and they get fined for every 1lb they are over the weight. It is not all about eating loads and becoming fat. They are all still great athletes and can move faster than Kris Boyd.

The rest of the team vary in weight. Defensive backs are usually the heaviest behind the offensive lineman, but it is mainly muscle. The strength and power these guys have is remarkable.

The skilled positions ie Running back, wide receiver, corner back, linebacker and safety are usually the positions where you find the finely tuned athletes.

Oh, name me all the NFL players who die in their 30's. due to lack of condition

Some sense at last.

there are +220lb guys that can run sub 12 second 100m, with pads on. That is impressive and very athletic.

To be an NFL standard player you have to be dedicated or very naturally talented. Unlike football there are not many clubs, so it's hard to make it to the top. Unlike football where you can make a comfortable living at lower table sides.

There are 300lbs + guys who can run the 40 metre dash in less than 5 seconds

Can move in and out of obsticles in lightening speed

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

TBH it's a different form of athleticism. Some guys need pace. Some need strength. Some need both but others are just fat lumps with no pace, agility or skill.

Obviously, I wouldn't let the big slow 250-pounder anywhere near me. Seriously though, you don't need helmets if the other side doesn't have them.

It's all a bit hyped up, overdone and at core, simple, to be an attractive sport for me.

I've noticed that US sports(gridiron, basketball, ice hockey and baseball) are rather simple and based around big "action points" and have little space for skill or wonderful team moves, by comparison with real football or even rugby. That said, I do find basketball and ice hockey far less unappealing. I can almost watch a full quarter of those sports. Almost.

Basketball/Ice Hockey not having wonderful team moves? Team interplay is the very essence of those sports. Passing, movement, and vision are all key qualities in both games.

I would argue stamina is an important aspect of American football. It's more controlled, explosive, kind of running, whereas in futbol (thats how I'll distinguish the two) there are periods in the game where certain positions (i.e. center back) are not moving as much as the other players. When players are getting battered for 60 minutes, the ones with higher stamina are usually the best players.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

Basketball/Ice Hockey not having wonderful team moves? Team interplay is the very essence of those sports. Passing, movement, and vision are all key qualities in both games.

I would argue stamina is an important aspect of American football. It's more controlled, explosive, kind of running, whereas in futbol (thats how I'll distinguish the two) there are periods in the game where certain positions (i.e. center back) are not moving as much as the other players. When players are getting battered for 60 minutes, the ones with higher stamina are usually the best players.

It's still in bursts, with more frequent and longer breaks in play. Football requires general consistent movement, punctuated by bursts of speed which may need to be maintained for longer and over greater distances.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

It's still in bursts, with more frequent and longer breaks in play. Football requires general consistent movement, punctuated by bursts of speed which may need to be maintained for longer and over greater distances.

It's a different kind of stamina. Sure there are bigger breaks in between but you have more energy sucked out of you in those short periods. I've never played gridiron but I've played both football and rugby league (which is more stop and start than union) and I can tell you that league is far more tiring simply because the physical effort of tackling someone or trying to run through them takes a hell of a lot more out of you than consistent running. Same with when I did taekwondo. You can do the kicks and punches for hours without many breathers but when it comes to actually being in the ring and exchanging blows it takes a lot more out of you. Football is a far more attractive game but to label these people as unathletic or unfit is simply ignorant.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Best Regards,

'Boab'

I don't watch Basketball but in Ice Hockey it is all about team play. And you don't get away with just booting the puck up the other end... :craphead: