Close To Tears

Nemesis

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For my tuppence, its not as though we are moving as we plan, almost at all sometimes. I for one am concerned about the names being thrown about.

Fergie - to Brum! - not exactly top drawer - but Fergies best times are behind him - but for the money discussed, i dont think its a good deal.

Boyd - only recently realised that theres alot of grass outside the box. Same as above, dont like the level of the money, lucky to see 2.5M in the end (If brum get promoted and due to previous clauses).

Then theres "interest" in Majid, McGregor.....

And we dont sell Mculloch for 1.5M (So baz is only wirth about 33% more than Lee.......)..... cant ad that up tbh.

Id dearly love to see some of the young guns getting into the team - but not because we have so many holes in the first team.

Id love to see us getting rid of the deadwood - but that seems almost dormant as so may teams trim peripheral players and keep the core. But were looking at two first team regulars - regardless of how you rate them - there in the team as Walter thinks they are a better prospect than the younger guys. I dont watch daily training - so my opinion aint really relevant.

This is the scare mongering bit, what "IF", Fergie, Boyd, and either Majid or Mcgregor get sold this month.... Alexander aint a bad replacement prospect - but thats still 2 first team players short (1 in 5)... thats a big change - and its the full length of the park...

As I say, id love to see the next generation getting a game - but Wattie dont want that. So they are really unprepared in almost every way to run straight into the first team. And almost our entire reserve team is full of players youd not want in the first team... if any mix of those 3 get sold - i dont rate our chances of getting the league this or next year. And that really does make me sad.

My concern with that Papa is as follows :-

No matter what anyone thinks of Boyd we know he will get goals for us.

Lafferty (who I see as his direct repalcement) is largely untried and untested.

So we have sold a proven goalscorer for the same money we paid for the untested one.

Does that seem like good business ?

Seems to me its us who are taking all the chances.

Spot on. Also to try this switch half way through the season when we have just dragged ourseleves back into the title race is madness.

No arguments from me there on the business front.

I'm hoping that we'll get 10 goals from Lafferty, 10 goals from Miller and 8 from midfield (for example), rather than 20 for Boyd on his own.

I cannot see Miller scoring an extra 10 goals because Lafferty oreven Rooney was playing alongside him

And i also cannot fathom where the extra 10 goals from midfield will come from in our current midfield. I cant see how Boyd would make Mendes' shooting less erratic or make Davis more likely to be getting on the end of stuff as for our left mid who knows who that will even be. I think in a perfect world your concept works but applied to Rangers its different

We are killing our own title challenge imo, Boyd wont be the last to go and im finding it deeply distressing

It seems our chairman, chief executive and manager have not learned from previous financial mistakes.

Yes, the spin in today's Record is that Walter apparently feels he can do more without Ferguson and Boyd and while that opinion may have slight merit, selling them in January with little prospect of replacement is at best minimising our chances of league success. At worst it is nothing short of further mismanagement.

Our best performances have included neither of these players.

It is it too rational to consider that Smith is trimming down a big squad by letting players he doesn't rate and getting some money for Tonel/Stranzl?

I won't try to be profound here - Rangers are heading for the shitter at breakneck speed. Minus Boyd's goals , Christ knows where we'll end up come the end of the season.

I thought Le Guen leaving was the end of the really bad times but we're stuck in the same nightmare over and over again :anguish:

Not trying to defend Murray, I'm well aware that you were one of the many that read his statement as 'Actually, anyone can be sold in January'.

But Boyd is still average in my eyes. His goal ratio against better teams is woeful, so poor that he's missed out on so many important matches for club and country. Scotland's exceptional run under Smith and McLeish was exclusive of Kris, as was our European jaunt last year.

Really, any striker worth their salt that's getting the service that Boyd gets, all the free kicks on the edge of the box and every single penalty for Rangers SHOULD be scoring a large number of goals.

If (and it's a big 'if' by the looks of it) we bring in another player, or use Naismith/Laffery/Novo in their correct position, it'll be refreshing to see two strikers actually playing for each other, rather than Miller doing all the donkey work for Boyd.

As for Barry, I don't see him as essential any longer. I would rather spend the £4m we get from Boyd on a miracle cure for Thomson because his loss has been more damaging than anything else this year.

Excellent post, Iain. (tu)

What is the point of a top scorer who can't score against top teams? That leaves you chopping and changing your frontline. Cousin is so much better than Boyd, for example. Novo has more impact when you need to change a game.

I lived through 79-86 when we were 4th and 5th some seasons and at 1 time the joke going around in September when sitting bottom of the league was

"what's the difference between Rangers and a triangle"?

"Rangers only have 2 points"

Every season then brought hope.Some Started great and we were top but then Aberdeen,Dundee Utd and laterly Hearts stormed past along with the scum and we ended up mid table .

So this is nothing compared to when i was young.

We'll bounce back but i fear the beggars could accumulate 5 or 6 titles before hand.

(tu) Oh the memories. Wish I didnt remember sometimes, but, at the moment, it helps

I think selling Boyd and ferguson is a good thing. We should also be thinking of selling Macgregor and Adam. This in my opinion would rid the club of the "Brat Pack" image that the four of them portray.

I keep wondering what did PLG see that we dont when he dropped Ferguson. Was he a bad influence in the dressing room? and am I the only one that has noticed a drop in form since Captain Passback returned to the midfield?

That ONLY Rangers fans seem concerned with

No arguments from me there on the business front.

I'm hoping that we'll get 10 goals from Lafferty, 10 goals from Miller and 8 from midfield (for example), rather than 20 for Boyd on his own.

See, thats what gets me, it all sounds good on paper, but, in the reality of a match, when we need a goal, he is still the most likely candidate. I dont feel so confident in anyone else in the squad to do that. Maybe someone will surprise me, but, week in, week out, he does pop up with goals that we need. I wouldnt be confident, for example, in Miller grabbing a last minute winner on a regular basis

Hope that makes sense

For me the ultimate in insults is that we're gonna accept so little for the player - while the Scottish mhedia are trying to say Brown of Celtic will be going and they'll 'maybe' accept £9 Million for him...

Brown = £9 M

Boyd = £3 M

Stop the world I wanna get off!! :barf:

Our best performances have included neither of these players.

It is it too rational to consider that Smith is trimming down a big squad by letting players he doesn't rate and getting some money for Tonel/Stranzl?

Are you suggesting Boyd's contribution this season (and his tallies in previous terms) wouldn't have been missed?

I'm far from Boyd's biggest fan but IMO we would not have scored the same number of goals this season especially without him. Selling him without replacement suggests we'll struggle to score as many which will affect continuity and thus our chances of winning the league for the 4th time in a row.

Again though, this isn't about one or two people leaving (and who they might be) but the laughable way in which we seem to approach our fund-raising nowadays. In principle, I don't disagree with selling players for suitable sums but we do at unsuitable times and without suitable replacements.

As such our overall success rate is suffering and I see no signs of that changing.

Are you happy with the way the club is being run?

Odd, I agree with that.

We're really in deep shit if the sale of such an average player like Boyd and possible departure of a player so over the hill like Ferguson means the end of the world.

REALLY in deep shit.

lol @ boyd being average

how many of the other "average" strikers in scotland score 30 goals/season?.

ferguson leaving i can kinda understand as we do have cover for him and our midfield is pretty strong (for now)

but to sell boyd to the first bidder like this is astounding

I know what the OP means, but we just desperately need to balance the books. This is the reality we are in. Once we get the debt to a manageable level then we can start spending more. Right now the debt is dangerously high.

Spending more to make sure we win the league and get into the CL is fine in theory but it;s a big risk and if it fails the debt increases more and basically - we're finished.

I know what the OP means, but we just desperately need to balance the books. This is the reality we are in. Once we get the debt to a manageable level then we can start spending more. Right now the debt is dangerously high.

Spending more to make sure we win the league and get into the CL is fine in theory but it;s a big risk and if it fails the debt increases more and basically - we're finished.

There was no debt 10 years ago.

The debt was at a manageable level 2 years ago.

The debt wasn't even that bad in the summer before we we took a huge risk and spent £9million AFTER being knocked out of Europe.

Just how often are we going to have to sell key players to balance the books under the current administration? And for how many more years will it affect our chances of winning leagues and qualifying for Europe?

lol @ boyd being average

how many of the other "average" strikers in scotland score 30 goals/season?.

ferguson leaving i can kinda understand as we do have cover for him and our midfield is pretty strong (for now)

but to sell boyd to the first bidder like this is astounding

He's not scored 30 league goals since the 2005 season!

Last year Chris Porter scored more league goals than Boydy as well.

To say we're automatically losing 30 goals a season is bonkers.

Maybe not 30 league goals (which he only did once) but we are going to lose a fair number considering his excellent record across the board so not sure why you're restricting it to the league.

Boyd's Rangers record:

2008/09 - 20 goals so far

2007/08 - 21 goals

2006/07 - 26 goals

2005/06 - 20 goals in half a season

Maybe not 30 league goals (which he only did once) but we are going to lose a fair number considering his excellent record across the board so not sure why you're restricting it to the league.

Boyd's Rangers record:

2008/09 - 20 goals so far

2007/08 - 21 goals

2006/07 - 26 goals

2005/06 - 20 goals in half a season

Misread :(

An average player like Scott McDonald scored 25 league goals alone last year, to answer the poster's question.

Misread :(

An average player like Scott McDonald scored 25 league goals alone last year, to answer the poster's question.

Boyd is probably average as well but no-one can deny how important his goals are - big games or not.

As such, of course it's extremely risky to sell him. It may pay off via one of our other strikers (or a new one) but it just makes no sense strategically half way through a season.

In the summer, fair enough. In January, no.

Boyd is probably average as well but no-one can deny how important his goals are - big games or not.

As such, of course it's extremely risky to sell him. It may pay off via one of our other strikers (or a new one) but it just makes no sense strategically half way through a season.

In the summer, fair enough. In January, no.

I can't see us signing anyone else.

Naismith has been involved in a lot more reserve games than we all were told he would, I think that's a signal of indication from someone within the management.

There was no debt 10 years ago.

The debt was at a manageable level 2 years ago.

The debt wasn't even that bad in the summer before we we took a huge risk and spent £9million AFTER being knocked out of Europe.

Just how often are we going to have to sell key players to balance the books under the current administration? And for how many more years will it affect our chances of winning leagues and qualifying for Europe?

How many more years, every year until SDM get bought out.

I can't see us signing anyone else.

Naismith has been involved in a lot more reserve games than we all were told he would, I think that's a signal of indication from someone within the management.

Naismith is a decent player but doesn't have the same experience as Boyd.

Indeed, in recent years he's been played deeper by Killie and by Rangers not to mention him not being a goalscorer per se like Boyd. Add in his injury problems and the time it will take for him to get fit properly, then the time for him to adjust to the expectations of being our main goalscorer is open to debate.

The same goes for Lafferty, Velicka or Novo - all of whom are decent players - but all of whom are different players or probably unable to step into Boyd's shoes right away.

so the cups are not important now?

we ARE losing 30 goals per season by losing boyd

also last year boyd hardly got a game for rangers because of the 4-5-1 that was being played