New Strips Deal

Frankie

I'd say Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal would be above us.

But compared to the smaller teams in the EPL, i'd agree.

A few years ago there was an article stating that only Man Utd and Real outsold the Old Firm (who were neck and neck). That has probably changed though.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umbro contract is up this summer after 4 years.

http://www.plusmarketsgroup.com/story.shtm...mp;NewsID=20804

With all the debate and uncertainty regarding our financial position - not mention the problems with the JJB outsourcing - can we expect to attain the same £25million over 5 years that Celtic have allegedly agreed with Nike?

Have we budgeted for more money, less money or the same? Can we trust Bain to maximise our agreement? How will JJB's problems affect the distribution rights?

Will this be some much needed light at the end of the tunnel or are talks not progressing well and contributing to our existing actions?

Didn't Bain get more for our deal four years ago?

The Rangers Football Club plc Newstrack Announcement 03/03/2005

The Rangers Football Club plc announced today that it has entered into a four

year agreement with Umbro commencing at the start of the 2005/06 football season

for Umbro to provide Rangers' kit and to be the Club's exclusive technical

sportswear sponsor. In addition Umbro have been granted rights to distribute

replica kits and training products abroad.

It is anticipated that these arrangements will contribute GBP6.5m annually

through the Club's retail activities.

The Directors of The Rangers Football Club plc accept responsibility for this

announcement.

It appears that this is one area where we cannot be critical of the tanned gentleman.

Leaving London to come up to Manchester on UEFA cup final day showed you our potential even in the South.

Rangers tops everywhere round London that day and euston was a sea of blue

Don’t know where they got them all though as there wasn’t one to be had in any JJB….phoning the shops some of the staff hadn’t even heard of the team…..

English wind up merchants.

On the way to our Widnes hotel we called into the huge JJB store in St Helens to try and buy a strip for a mate...

They had none and when the staff were asked they informed us they'd had dozens of inquiries from interested locals but all their minimal stock had been sent to Scotland. We had already tried all stores in Edinburgh in the days previous to the game as well.

Umbro and JJB certainly missed a trick not ensuring stock levels were full that month.

Absolutely, but they still made a fair whack.

I'd like to see Adidas make our tops again. Or Canterbury who make the Scotland rugby tops.

They're ugly tops, mate.

That was correct around 1-2 years ago.

Not sure if it is still the case.

t will be due to Manchester, guys I went to school with who had no interest in football and were Goths the last time I seen them, were stoating about in Rangers gear.

Canterbury is one of the finest sportswear manufacturers in the world.

They make the Portsmouth strip, don't they?

I'd love to see us at Adidas, I love their football strips.

It's obvious to anyone JJB do not market us to our potential. Which is odd, because it is detrimental to both them and us financially.

I get the impression the JJB deal is very half arsed. They have bought the rights, and given us a very decent deal, but.... don't seem to know what to do with us and haven't really thought about how to get a very marketable brand out there to maximum effect. If JJB go about their business in this way then really, it isn't hard to see why they are under threat of going under.

They do not seem to market the strips at all and make them accessible or up front in many of their stores from what I have been told.

From being the club with the highest merchandising turnover in the UK when making our own strips to the deal with JJB that makes us more clear profit than we ever have before we have always done well in this field.

If making our own tops was so grand we'd still be doing it, therefore it's safe to assume that didn't make money at all. As to JJB, that was so parochial it stinks of Murrays final smash & grab

business madness.

Too many Rangers fans lose sight of the big picture... the merchandizing is a long term, brand building exercise, not turning cheap tricks. SDM has made so many mistakes with the self made diadora branded crap and now this JJB thing.

The deal expiring now timing wise could not be worse from a financial perspective...the big manufactures adidas, Nike will also be struggling with sales (like JJB are) and cutting back and magical offers woun't be on the table.

I JUST HOPE THE NEXT STRIPS DON'T CHAFF MA NIPPLES!

It's horrible going into sports shops abroad and seeing Celtic strips but no Rangers strips

i was in a sports shop in Dubai the other week and i saw the manks top, the wee shop attendant saw me looking at it and asked me if i wanted to buy it, i said i would consider it as i've ran out of bog roll in the house, it took him about 30 secs then he lost it, he then says you must be rangers man right, i went dead right pal WATP, he then says to me i'll take it out the back and wipe my arse on it for you!! at that stage i walked away in bits

it's funny though when i went back for the final in May no one could get tops, i'm not joking you they were selling the rangers top in the outlet mall in dubai for roughly 6 pounds, if i new there had been such a shortage in glasgow i could have made a few quid, anywayz!! hindsight is a wonderful thing.

i liked the old nike kits, i'd be quite happy with them again

ar

It's not as straight forward as that. Due to our deal with JJB they can only be sold in certain stores.

Correct Jim, but this only applies to Scotland. Hence why you can buy a Gers top from Sports World down here...

Our problem is not Scotland, we do a great job of selling in Scotland. It's abroad

This summer i travelled to Amsterdam, Celtic kits in every sports shop. Even training kits, no rangers merchandise or kits at all. Why?

Nike is a brand people buy, it has style. A Nike kit is more appealing to a neutral than an Umbro one (which look shite). Nike sells worldwide.

Umbro is largely British centred.

If i was to buy a kit for a team on holiday, it would be a Nike or Adidas kit 9 times out of 10. We HAVE to get one of these two to challenge Celtic.

Surely the 'Rangers' brand is an attractive one for a sportswear manufacturer?

Our problem is (and I’m no marketing expert) is that we don’t have a distinctive brand in the same way as Celtic do with their “hoops“. We have the club crest perhaps, but then so does every other football club.

Just a thought, but maybe if we had something recognizable about our strip year on year that distinguished it from every other red, white and blue kit.

I thought Celtic just got a pretty decent deal considering these offers are not on the table. We stopped making our own strips as the jib deal was better profit wise. We were doing very well when making our own tops.

You should never assume

Sorry, did you read my post at all?

Long term it's a disaster.. fannying about with in house tops and JJB have fucked up the internantional exposure and brand building abroad... now we'll be going cap in hand trying to pick up a crap deal in the middle of depression.

Japanese and Mexicans glory hunters and floaters don't buy Rangers/Man U strips season in season out...they need EXPOSURE to the gear to buy it and continue to buy. This is not happening.

The club is penniless and I've got idiots like youn trying to preach to me the merits of making your own rangers tap on a sewing machine...piss off! Everybody agrees here, it's best for Rangers to get out the JJB deal and we don't make our own stuff anymore...proof is in the pudding and the balance sheet my man.

There's only one worse thing that a wooden rangers fan, and it's an apologist and it's because of nuggets like you that haven't got a clue that allow Murray and other clowns to mess things up big time (and get away with it)

I used to work for the Rangers store on George Street in Edinburgh before it closed down. I was studying product design at the time so had a bit of an understanding about branding/marketing etc. And I was always baffled, based on the quality of stock on offer and how it was displayed etc, that we ever sold a single item (besides the kits). Rangers could be made into a massive international brand. The potential in my opinion is gargantuan! Even the clubs colours tell a story. The problem lies in the fact that Rangers, like most clubs, stick to the same old basic, homogenized branding and don't take the time to diversify themselves. When Rangers want a product designed, they go to some 'products-are-us' type company that only cares about meeting deadlines and hands back the same old standardized tat you get in 95% of team stores across the country. For a 15 year old in Japan looking to buy some cool merch his mates don't even know about he hits the net and then comes across the Rangers website - Rangers f*ckin' TV?!?! A completely non-engrossing encounter that inspires nothing in the neutral. And while other big teams have these crap websites/products, they often have either more interesting players, more success or a better international image.

I understand the fact that we maybe don't want to pander to fairweather fans the way Manchester United does, but herein lies an opportunity to further the clubs finances - the main area that seems to be causing rifts at Ibrox right now. Let the stagnant marketing staff currently there keep doing their job so as not to shake things up too much - but spend the extra pennies on a young, adventurous marketing company who's sole job it is to promote the clubs brand through ventures of innovation and originality.

So would the dissipation of the JJB deal mean that we're free to pick and choose where we want to open stores again?

If that is the case, then the re-opening of the Glasgow Airport branch should be the priority. First impressions are everything, and it's sadly that mob that have first dibs on the impressionable tourists.