Gabriele Marcotti's top 50 rising stars

Muff

7. John Fleck (Rangers)

The nephew of the former striker, Robert Fleck, he became the youngest player to feature in a Scottish Cup final last May and is a 17-year-old attacker with prodigious talent who has generated plenty of buzz.

You can see all the other players here - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...t=84&page=8

7. John Fleck (Rangers)

The nephew of the former striker, Robert Fleck, he became the youngest player to feature in a Scottish Cup final last May and is a 17-year-old attacker with prodigious talent who has generated plenty of buzz.

You can see all the other players here - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...t=84&page=8

Wattie would play McCulloch up front over Fleck if he had too :craphead:

7. John Fleck (Rangers)

He'd probably play Dailly over Fleck if he had to.

7. John Fleck (Rangers)

Maybe as McCulloch is a striker and Fleck is more of a midfielder?

7. John Fleck (Rangers)

Maybe as McCulloch is a striker and Fleck is more of a midfielder?

McCulloch can play everywhere ;)

Yeah it would be nice to see him feature at some point tonight. I wonder if he had not had that injury, if we would have seen him earlier?

I don't doubt it given the problems we've had with the left-side of midfield - a position Fleck can play despite preferring a central role.

Yeah it would be nice to see him feature at some point tonight. I wonder if he had not had that injury, if we would have seen him earlier?

I don't doubt it given the problems we've had with the left-side of midfield - a position Fleck can play despite preferring a central role.

:mutley: but, that would be him getting played out of position :P

Marcotti has him ahead of Marek Hamsik. I personally wouldn't agree with that but it good to see that Marcotti, a very knowledgable and respected pundit has such high views of John Fleck!

Gabrielle Marcotti once rated Bary Ferguson a better player than Frank Lampard?!?!hes missed out some special players on that list but its good 2 see Fleck on that list.Hope he gets a game tonight.

Barry probably was the better player when they broke through. Lampard improved, Barry didn't :(

Some interesting placing of some players in that list.

Great to see Fleck in the top 10

One thing what a free transfer for Ac Milan next season

20. Thiago Silva (free agent, joining AC Milan in June)

The 24-year-old, converted to centre back after being a utility man, left Fluminese last year. Rebuilt his career after failing to make an impact in previous European spells and will be at the San Siro next season after appearing at the Olympics as an overage player.

I just don't understand how he can go from naming an untested Rangers youngster to Karim Benzema in 5 places.

Hernanes at number 1 is a bit strange too. I love Hernanes, i think he's great, but i imagine Benzema and Silva will enjoy much better careers.

No Marko Marin, Nacho Camacho or Toni Kroos either.

I just don't understand how he can go from naming an untested Rangers youngster to Karim Benzema in 5 places.

Hernanes at number 1 is a bit strange too. I love Hernanes, i think he's great, but i imagine Benzema and Silva will enjoy much better careers.

No Marko Marin, Nacho Camacho or Toni Kroos either.

The only reason i can think of is, the majority of these opinions are made on there U16,18,21 performances at international tournaments.

I agree some players that have been left out is strange.

Marcotti, generally know's his football and I think this list is aimed at his readership at The Times (i.e. mostly English Premeirship Fans) many of the players on this list have been linked with Premiership teams or already play for them. The likes of Messi, Bojan, Pato, Kroos or Aguero etc would unlikely move to the Premiership because they are already at big clubs this is why I think they are omitted from this list. This list is just who you may probably see playing in the Premiership in the near future.

I'm sure if he was writing this article for a Spanish or Italian paper about half the players on this list would not be mentioned.