Does This Lead Alter Our Priorities Slightly?

Turnberry18

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

League. Winning the Scottish and earning 'European football' wouldn't be a draw for players because 1. It's the Europa and 2. Making the group stages would be a huge ask this summer. 

So much nonsense in one post, I'm unsure where to start.

If we were trying to entice Messi to Ibrox, then yea, the Europa aint much of a draw, any other normal, professional, ambitious player would jump at the chance.

I'm glad you know how much a struggle it would be to make the group stages, I assume you know what our squad will look like after pre-season then?

12 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

So much nonsense in one post, I'm unsure where to start.

If we were trying to entice Messi to Ibrox, then yea, the Europa aint much of a draw, any other normal, professional, ambitious player would jump at the chance.

I'm glad you know how much a struggle it would be to make the group stages, I assume you know what our squad will look like after pre-season then?

Whatever.

Aye, I have every faith that we'll piece together a good squad, one which will challenge for the title in fact. But guess what mate, we'll be balls deep in qualifiers before we've even finished signing players for the season to come, let alone gelling the squad and settling players in. For that reason alone I wouldn't go overboard with criticism if we were to lose a qualifier. That's without adding in a couple of factors. There will also been some alright sides in the final rounds, we're currently rounding of promotion from the Scottish 2nd tier, scotland , where teams right now are notorious for abject failure in Europe.

Sure, down the road I feel we will have a style more acquited to European football, but this June and July is very early. Aberdeen failed to qualify this year. Are we better than them just now? Maybe on our day but it doesn't matter, we have to go above and beyond them and Celtic to be successful in Europe as both are failing right now. 

Feel free to call me defeatist and say 'we're Rangers' all you want, but I for one won't be slamming a newly pieced together side in June or July SHOULD we win the Scottish, and SHOULD we lose in the qualifiers. Should note that said it was a huge ask, not an impossible one. 

I don't see why we cant have a right good go at winning everything. Its common sense that the cup-tied players should be playing against Raith, giving anyone who needs it, a rest for Saturday. We've got a few players who are playing for a new contract in the summer too, they should be busting a gut to get involved and do well. I'd never suggest rotating defenders, but every other position definitely. Having watched the Raith game a few weeks ago, there's no doubt that we should be winning this game no matter who plays, and if things go wrong?.. well there's an 11 point cushion.

We've more or less got promotion now, Dundee is going to be a tough game due to missing players (king, moh and Waghorn).

We'll just need to persevere, they likely had some time for it during training but after tomorrow it'll be fully committed.

I think players will be rested for it, but eyes will be on Clark, Miller and McKay to get goals. 

If we win tomorrow against Raith and hibs get beat by qots then we can rotate squad for cup games. Number 1 priority is getting promoted  back to spl which if we were to lose now would be one of the biggest fuck ups of all time. Winning the cup would be amazing but its no:2 priority

12 hours ago, Misteral said:

I think if we beat Dundee it will only get harder. Don't know where your logic's at but i hope you're right. 

I'm a Rangers fan ,grown up on past glories .A semi or Final will be at Hampdump . Are you aware of our record in these circumstances .Probably not .

Beat Dundee and we are in with a shout .This logic do you .

12 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Is your view about this influenced because you think the League is won? I think it's won, but probably, on reflection, it's impossible for us not to put our strongest side out against Raith.

Agree we have to, we only just scraped by against them at home although they offered nothing in an attacking sense their form seems to have improved slightly.

League is number 1 priority until we officially win. Once that is done Warburton can shake the team up a bit in the remaining games to give some guys a shot at 60/90 minutes to get fitness back up or to see who to keep and who to let go in the summer. At the same time this is when we should focus on another other campaigns we are part of. 

All this season the Petrofac/Scottish Cup have just been bonuses to me. It would be great if we won them but the main thing is we win the league. I'd rather lose all the cup games and win the league than lose the league and win all the cups. 

46 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I'm a Rangers fan ,grown up on past glories .A semi or Final will be at Hampdump . Are you aware of our record in these circumstances .Probably not .

Beat Dundee and we are in with a shout .This logic do you .

Clearly if we are in the cup we have a shout. Nothing like stating the bleeding obvious. I read your comment as beating Dundee was the most difficult hurdle to climb. It will be a difficult game but the semis and final, should we get there, will be more difficult. Records have nothing to do with it. 

I'm sure if Warburton was to answer this question he would say we take one game at a time, and no game is more important than the next.

We train professionally and of high intensity for tomorrow night. Wednesday morning arrives, and the players are back at training with full focus on Saturdays game.

We aim to win every tournament we enter. That is the Rangers way.

1 hour ago, Misteral said:

Clearly if we are in the cup we have a shout. Nothing like stating the bleeding obvious. I read your comment as beating Dundee was the most difficult hurdle to climb. It will be a difficult game but the semis and final, should we get there, will be more difficult. Records have nothing to do with it. 

:P

37 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

:P

1 hour ago, voltago said:

I'm sure if Warburton was to answer this question he would say we take one game at a time, and no game is more important than the next.

We train professionally and of high intensity for tomorrow night. Wednesday morning arrives, and the players are back at training with full focus on Saturdays game.

We aim to win every tournament we enter. That is the Rangers way.

and all new players and staff need to get that into their mindset as its who we are as a club ?

I'll be honest, although the league is and always will be priority, I can't help but feel we really need to push to win the Scottish Cup.

As others have said we are Rangers and should be looking to win the lot.

With Hibs having dropped points, we have a comfortable lead and if we keep picking up the points then we are home and dry. 

We should be putting everything into winning this cup and getting into Europe next season. 

I agree with people saying Europe won't be a draw to much better players, at least next season (if we manage to qualify). We're going to be starting in the first round with part time teams ffs. Winning a cup and getting into Europe may make us slightly more enticing but the level we will be entering at probably cancels that attraction out. If anything the size of the club alone will be how we attract a better calibre of players for the next couple of years at least.

For me, this season we have to win the league and the Petrofac, and anything above that is a very welcome bonus. 

5 minutes ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

I agree with people saying Europe won't be a draw to much better players, at least next season (if we manage to qualify). We're going to be starting in the first round with part time teams ffs. Winning a cup and getting into Europe may make us slightly more enticing but the level we will be entering at probably cancels that attraction out. If anything the size of the club alone will be how we attract a better calibre of players for the next couple of years at least.

For me, this season we have to win the league and the Petrofac, and anything above that is a very welcome bonus. 

There would be the added bonus of seeing the current players, especially the younger players, develop in a European campaign. I want the best of both worlds here, I realise that. The League is by far the priority, so I've come round to the idea that we still play at full strength for the League; even with such a commanding lead.

Lets face it this is the worst top flight standard  Scottish Football has ever seen, certainly in my lifetime. There would be nothing to stop us winning the SC if we were to get our act together. Getting our act together on recent performances however is the problem.

If we faced them and  at a neutral venue the bheasts from the east have more to lose and  would be more frightened of us than we would be of them.  Would certainly shut a few people up starting with a fat Welsh prick.

5 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

Lets face it this is the worst top flight standard  Scottish Football has ever seen, certainly in my lifetime. There would be nothing to stop us winning the SC if we were to get our act together. Getting our act together on recent performances however is the problem.

If we faced them and  at a neutral venue the bheasts from the east have more to lose and  would be more frightened of us than we would be of them.  Would certainly shut a few people up starting with a fat Welsh prick.

I totally agree any of the teams I saw win our league since Souness first would wipe the floor with them, then there's  Dundee Utd and Aberdeen in the early 80's.

Thats the last 36 years and then your going into great teams that between them got to 5 European finals in 12 years, us 3 them 2.

The worst team and then some I would say.