Our hardest players

EMRFC

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

When you think of a hard man you generally think of a snarling, intimidating, angry, shouting type and all of the above tend to fit that category to an extent. However, in terms of sheer power and strength and willingness to put his body on the line, big Marv has to be a shout. Not your stereotypical "hard man" if you like but he's certainly one not to fuck with. Fuck going toe to toe with the big guy. Such a thoroughly decent bloke though which makes him all the more fascinating. He'd fuck you up then pick you up afterwards! And if he got smashed himself he'd just get up, dust himself down then smile as if nothing had happened! Absolute tank of guy!

I often think Paul Le Guen made a huge mistake not keeping him. For the very reasons you state.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I often think Paul Le Guen made a huge mistake not keeping him. For the very reasons you state.

There's a world of difference between a strong man and a hard man.

Big Marv was the former but never the latter.

If the stories are true , then Terry Hurlock was not only a hard bastard on the pitch but off it too . A former Southampton team mate tells a story about Terry arranging to "meet" some of his more vocal critics of his playing style in the boozer of their choice but at a time of his choosing :wink:

Greig , Forsyth and Gregor Stevens were all players who relished putting opponents in their place .

Without a shadow of a doubt, the hardest man of all was 'Big Ben' Willie Woodburn who stood out in a backline of hard men...they weren't known as the "iron curtain" just for being a formidable defence,either!

Another of the hardest men I have ever met was Jimmy Millar. Although he was only 5'6" in height he was scared of nothing or nobody no matter whether he was playing in defence or attack. Actually when I look back on that era our teams were packed with players that were hard as nails all over the pitch; Captain Cutlass, Harold Davis, John Greig, Ronnie McKinnon et al who weren't scared to put their head where it hurts; even guys like Ralphie Brand, Davie Wilson and Eric Caldow were no shrinking violets when it came to the hard stuff.

There are a few names down through the years that are already mentioned on this thread and i totally agree with but one that hasn't been mentioned is a guy who could actually play as well was Alex McDonald.

He scored many an important goal for the Club and took second place to no one when the going got tough.

1 hour ago, Big_dado said:

Fernando Ricksen, he was all in with his tackling and didn't back down to anyone getting in his face after snapping them.

Tackling was probably the worst part of Ricksens game, he was certainly whole hearted but bever a hardman, Graig Moore was a hardman , when he hit you with a tackle you never went back for seconds.