Our hardest players

EMRFC

47 minutes ago, kenzie2386 said:

Shearer, Grieg, Hurlock, Young (Corky), Graham Roberts, Woodburn, Davis.... et al.

There really have been so many, it would be quite a task to name them all.

Surprised you missed Jimmy Millar.  Remember Tiger Shaw telling me Tam Forsyth would not have been considered a Hardman in his day and he was not joking.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, the hardest man of all was 'Big Ben' Willie Woodburn who stood out in a backline of hard men...they weren't known as the "iron curtain" just for being a formidable defence,either!

Another of the hardest men I have ever met was Jimmy Millar. Although he was only 5'6" in height he was scared of nothing or nobody no matter whether he was playing in defence or attack. Actually when I look back on that era our teams were packed with players that were hard as nails all over the pitch; Captain Cutlass, Harold Davis, John Greig, Ronnie McKinnon et al who weren't scared to put their head where it hurts; even guys like Ralphie Brand, Davie Wilson and Eric Caldow were no shrinking violets when it came to the hard stuff.

Woodburn my late old man's favourite.Remember him telling me how someone had made the fatal mistake of having a boot at WW and how the said player was chased by Woodburn over the park.Think WW finally gave up the chase as he couldn't catch the culprit lol.Think it was a true story but my old man was guilty of embellishing his tails of Mr Woodburn not that I think they needed much embellishment. 

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, the hardest man of all was 'Big Ben' Willie Woodburn who stood out in a backline of hard men...they weren't known as the "iron curtain" just for being a formidable defence,either!

Another of the hardest men I have ever met was Jimmy Millar. Although he was only 5'6" in height he was scared of nothing or nobody no matter whether he was playing in defence or attack. Actually when I look back on that era our teams were packed with players that were hard as nails all over the pitch; Captain Cutlass, Harold Davis, John Greig, Ronnie McKinnon et al who weren't scared to put their head where it hurts; even guys like Ralphie Brand, Davie Wilson and Eric Caldow were no shrinking violets when it came to the hard stuff.

My old man always said Willie Woodburn was the toughest player he had seen. My era started with the players above such as JG, Ronnie McKinnon, Eric Caldow etc and all the players were not scared of a tackle compared to todays mob.  But actual hard men, not just nasty bastards like Keane, are few and far between.

Of all the players I've seen over 50 years plus I'd only count Tam Forsyth, JG and maybe Souey although he had that nasty streak as well. Lots of players tough enough to make a point like Ian Ferguson, Hurlock, Gregor but not real hard men.  Lets be honest the real warriors would not get a game nowadays. Can you imagine the red cards guys like Gentile, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter and Dave McKay would get nowadays? Even their own team mates were terrified of them.:D

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Surprised you missed Jimmy Millar.  Remember Tiger Shaw telling me Tam Forsyth would not have been considered a Hardman in his day and he was not joking.

II Shearer, Grieg, Hurlock, Young (Corky), Graham Roberts, Woodburn, Davis.... et al.

There really have been so many, it would be quite a task to name them all.

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

There are a lot I missed but none of them intentionally.

Souness was a clatty bastard :lol:

On Hurlock, I recall an altercation between him and Stevie Fulton at the piggery which left Fulton with his shorts ripped , Hurlock passed the ball forward for Ally to stick one in the back of the net. That's without Googling so I may be wrong with some details.

4 hours ago, heathen fish boy said:

Or maybe what the big man shouted before his tackle 

Had to be Bobby Shearer for me, but thanks to every contribution as this has brought back serious memories for me. Laughed out loud at the Marvin Andrews comment about the hibs striker whos name was Amadou Konte and the big man stiffened him good style.We have been blessed with some of the finest footballers who turned out to be fans once they joined our club. :uk: Seem to remember our own Assistant Manager grabbing Caldwell round the neck and looking like he was going to throttle the cunt. SDOW :541: 

3 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I certainly didn't miss Jimmy Millar in my post regarding 'Big Ben' Woodburn as my main nomination. 

Btw! How did you meet Tiger Shaw?

3 hours ago, sammy cox said:

Woodburn my late old man's favourite.Remember him telling me how someone had made the fatal mistake of having a boot at WW and how the said player was chased by Woodburn over the park.Think WW finally gave up the chase as he couldn't catch the culprit lol.Think it was a true story but my old man was guilty of embellishing his tails of Mr Woodburn not that I think they needed much embellishment. 

I only saw Big Ben play a few times before he got Sin die, but I can confirm that anybody silly enough to take a swing at big Woodburn had indeed committed a fatal mistake. :D I'm not sure whether the tale concerning Woodburn chasing a guy was true or not, but I would be surprised if the guy concerned got away from the big man.

It was ironic that Woodburn was the last man in British football to be banned  'Sin Die' for retaliation, because he was never a dirty player; and in fact in his first 10 years at Ibrox he never was sent off or even got booked.woodburn.jpg

3 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

My old man always said Willie Woodburn was the toughest player he had seen. My era started with the players above such as JG, Ronnie McKinnon, Eric Caldow etc and all the players were not scared of a tackle compared to todays mob.  But actual hard men, not just nasty bastards like Keane, are few and far between.

Of all the players I've seen over 50 years plus I'd only count Tam Forsyth, JG and maybe Souey although he had that nasty streak as well. Lots of players tough enough to make a point like Ian Ferguson, Hurlock, Gregor but not real hard men.  Lets be honest the real warriors would not get a game nowadays. Can you imagine the red cards guys like Gentile, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter and Dave McKay would get nowadays? Even their own team mates were terrified of them.:D

Your old man was 100% right,Wullie and some of the greatest players in football can vouch for it (even Rangers players,including Eric Caldow) who Woodburn skittled at Ibrox in 1953.

As far as "genuine hard men" go , I'm struggling to name one in the modern game that would compare with the guys back then, but the game has became so sterilised these days you end up getting booked or sent off for absolutely nothing, plus the fact the rules have changed drastically; some for the good and some not so good.

Woodburn was a brilliant footballer who would have made even the likes of Gentile, Hunter, McKay, Smith and Souness quake in their boots when he tackled them......That's if they could have found their boots to quake in after the tackle :lol:

13 minutes ago, cerberusandorthus said:

I feel that our original "Captain America" Claudio Ranieri was a real 4 minute egg.

Never knew that old cunt played for us! Was "Captain America" meant to be ironic? ;)

I missed Woodburn so have to say Harold Davis was the hardest I saw. I remember one European Cup match where an opposition playr chased Henderson. He was catching him until Davis stepped in between them. Game over (may have been Scott but I am pretty sure it was Henderson).