Under 20s in Irn Bru Cup

I was under the impression that the Under  20s would be allowed to use five over age players as I'm sure I read that only six of the team had to be under 20 for the Challenge Cup. I wonder if that means we could name a very strong team if we got to the last couple of rounds?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, weeto said:

I was under the impression that the Under  20s would be allowed to use five over age players as I'm sure I read that only six of the team had to be under 20 for the Challenge Cup. I wonder if that means we could name a very strong team if we got to the last couple of rounds?

I highly doubt it, we don't have a large squad and there is no point risking them for this nonsense.

1 hour ago, weeto said:

SPL "Colt" teams cannot field any overage players in The Challenge Cup.

Up to FIVE overage players can be fielded in the Development League matches.

I'm not sure I agree with these games being played at Forthbank - albeit it is a very nice stadium.

I was at the game and, although it was a very young side, I couldn't help but think we'd have got more than double the crowd at Ibrox. Maybe they don't want to put these boys under too much pressure though.

Should be a hard game against Stenhousemuir, especially considering how the 1st team struggled against them in this competition before. I don't know if these lower league SPFL teams are going to put out strong sides either though. Also, if we played sides like Hibs, Linfield or celtic, is Forthbank going to be big enough to cope with the crowds?

Just now, 908 said:

I'm not sure I agree with these games being played at Forthbank - albeit it is a very nice stadium.

I was at the game and, although it was a very young side, I couldn't help but think we'd have got more than double the crowd at Ibrox. Maybe they don't want to put these boys under too much pressure though.

Should be a hard game against Stenhousemuir, especially considering how the 1st team struggled against them in this competition before. I don't know if these lower league SPFL teams are going to put out strong sides either though. Also, if we played sides like Hibs, Linfield or celtic, is Forthbank going to be big enough to cope with the crowds?

I've done U20 games at Ibrox before and seen crowds struggle to just over 200 (with free entry). Doing it there can be more hassle too due to the sheer size of the place in comparison. While we wouldn't open other stands Then there's avoiding excessive use of the pitch, policing costs,

If we were to draw Linfield or Celtic etc we can move it. Colt teams are allowed to use up to 3 grounds.

2 hours ago, 908 said:

From a personal point of view I would have preferred some ground that was more central and not bloody Stirling because from where I live it is a trek getting there and if these games are going to be midweek then getting home is difficult, whereas I can understand why Ibrox shouldn't be used playing at another ground in Glasgow would be a lot easier due to rail links etc.

2 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

The cup has totally changed in format, hence why I think it is a nonsense from last year.

The possibility of our youngsters lifting a trophy against senior and mostly professional sides is not nonsense and as to the format the only thing that's really changed is that more teams can now compete.