Robbie Fowler

8 hours ago, andyhrfc said:

Three goals in 5 minutes against Arsenal ain't bad for an average player.   To be honest he would still put the ball in the back of the net even now ( not sure about the legs),  he certainly would have been a stand out player if we had signed him even 5 years ago. 

I never said he was average.  I remember Fowler coming through for Liverpool and those first few season he looked as if he was going to be one of the best strikers in world football.  He just seemed to get gradually worse as time went on.  Was never the same player after his injury. 

2 hours ago, teddybears1872 said:

Would have loved to see Robbie Fowler at Rangers, Wished it had happened, If i mind right David Murray looked into signing Alan Shearer. If we had signed Fowler,etc, I wonder who we would have not signed.

This thread makes you :drool: thinking about the players we were linked with or actively tried to sign around then. Fowler, Jardel, Ronaldo!! Crazy the money that we were had (didn't have) around then. I think Jardel is still about as disappointed as I've been when a player didn't sign for us. He was top scorer in Europe for years afterwards!

2 hours ago, teddybears1872 said:

Would have loved to see Robbie Fowler at Rangers, Wished it had happened, If i mind right David Murray looked into signing Alan Shearer. If we had signed Fowler,etc, I wonder who we would have not signed.

Walter Smith said we were after Alan Shearer but once Blackburn came in there was no chance of him coming here.

Timing was everything with Fowler, he never really wanted to leave Anfield but when he did get pushed out the door in 2001 we were way past the stage of making signings of that expense, if Liverpool pushed him out a year earlier I'm sure we'd have been serious contenders for him, I often thought we could've maybe got him around 2007ish when he left Liverpool again, he would've been around 32 by then but I still think he would've done a big job for us.

11 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Timing was everything with Fowler, he never really wanted to leave Anfield but when he did get pushed out the door in 2001 we were way past the stage of making signings of that expense, if Liverpool pushed him out a year earlier I'm sure we'd have been serious contenders for him, I often thought we could've maybe got him around 2007ish when he left Liverpool again, he would've been around 32 by then but I still think he would've done a big job for us.

He was terrible after that though.

His legs were totally shot by then and all he had left was effort and past glories. Not enough sadly.

Just now, The Godfather said:

He was terrible after that though.

His legs were totally shot by then and all he had left was effort and past glories. Not enough sadly.

Yeah you're right, I'm looking at it through rose tinted specs, I do remember him looking sharp in the first few months back at Liverpool but the longer the season went on the less mobile he looked

Just now, NixonRFC said:

Yeah you're right, I'm looking at it through rose tinted specs, I do remember him looking sharp in the first few months back at Liverpool but the longer the season went on the less mobile he looked

Had we got him after Liverpool or even Leeds he'd have been a hero up here.

17 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Pretty sure Leeds got him for around £10m-£11m.

Andy Cole also left Man Utd around the same time for less than we paid for Flo too.

Just shows how reckless we were with that money.

Not many people know but Liam Brady when in charge of the taigs turned down the opportunity to sign Andy Cole for £500k from Arsenal and instead he went to Bristol city. He thought Andy Payton for £800k was a better option. And signed HK ?

21 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I was watching his episode of that Premier League Legends that's on Sky Sports and some of his goals were :drool:

I'm aware he played in a couple of testimonial games for us but I've always thought he would have been brilliant in a Rangers shirt as a direct replacement for McCoist in Advocaats team and I've always wondered why it didn't happen?

Obviously he would have cost a lot of money, but we were splashing the cash at that point and his move to Leeds must have happened at roughly the same time we spent 12 million on Flo.

Was he a player that you hoped you would have seen at Ibrox back in the day and was he ever seriously or strongly linked to us?

I always thought he'd have ended up at ibrox, he Defo said he favoured us more than the tarriers, don't think we'd have got him when wee dick was in charge, maybe later when he was at Leeds or his 2nd spell at Liverpool. Great player, who would have been great up here in our team!

On 03/10/2016 at 10:22 PM, DBBTB said:

I was watching his episode of that Premier League Legends that's on Sky Sports and some of his goals were :drool:

I'm aware he played in a couple of testimonial games for us but I've always thought he would have been brilliant in a Rangers shirt as a direct replacement for McCoist in Advocaats team and I've always wondered why it didn't happen?

Obviously he would have cost a lot of money, but we were splashing the cash at that point and his move to Leeds must have happened at roughly the same time we spent 12 million on Flo.

Was he a player that you hoped you would have seen at Ibrox back in the day and was he ever seriously or strongly linked to us?

We signed Flo instead, Fowler was rated at about £12 million the same as Flo.

Watched him play for us in Alan McLaren's testimonial match , alongside Stuart Pearce who we were interested in buying at one time also . Pearce said he would've loved to play for us but Brian Clough wasn't interested in selling and Pearce only found out about it a few years after our approach . Different fucking times I suppose .