How to Increase Ibrox

lerxst

8 minutes ago, Briton said:

Wasn't there once talk of sinking the pitch?  Not that I think an increase is needed right now.

Didn't they do that already to put in the three extra rows at the front?

In general, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a fair old bit. It would cost many millions that we don't have atm. Tbh, whilst in Scottish football, I can't see the demand meaning it'd be worth it in the foreseeable. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As ever with these threads about modifying ibrox, it's the thick end of 40 years old, how long is it expected the current stadium can last? How long would the redevelopment take? Probably from the initial idea to it being completed could easily be 3 years or so. 

Replacing the stadium will cost a lot of money, particularly as we will want to remain at the same site. We should be thinking ahead to the future and not spending money slightly increasing the current capacity for 5-10 years. 

12 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

With your stated factors; how many ST's can we sell.

The maximum we can sell is 43,500 and I'm certain we'll reach that mark.  I'm not sure how many we could sell but I expect it'd be several thousand more.

2 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

As ever with these threads about modifying ibrox, it's the thick end of 40 years old, how long is it expected the current stadium can last? How long would the redevelopment take? Probably from the initial idea to it being completed could easily be 3 years or so. 

Replacing the stadium will cost a lot of money, particularly as we will want to remain at the same site. We should be thinking ahead to the future and not spending money slightly increasing the current capacity for 5-10 years. 

You think Ibrox will be knocked down and replaced within in 5-10 years?

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

You think Ibrox will be knocked down and replaced within in 5-10 years?

I doubt it, but I think it's reasonable to imagine it might need a fair bit of money spent on it in the next decade or so.

It's a pissing contest, coz that mob have 60k some think we need to have 61k - I don't think it's worth the hassle, in time we can hopefully introduce safe standing sections and I remember reading elsewhere ages ago that 3000 seats transforms into 5700 standing spaces so if that's the case I'd prefer to see that than butchering Ibrox.

We will sell more than 43000 STs this season with the knock on that they will only get half the Broomloan on the Main Stand side.    If we can sell 50000 STs they will get the GWC like all the others. Guaranteed ST income outweighs giving them a whole end even if it means they reciprocate.

Maybe in due course but at the moment we need to consolidate our position. 

We need to tidy up the old girl a bit before thinking about expanding her. Going forward we will need to make changes as some of the stadium is pretty old now but for me it should be part of a larger plan to regenerate the whole area around the stadium. Not all of that funding will come from Rangers but will need the club being successful in top flight with some european stuff to attract more funding for that.  

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

It's a pissing contest, coz that mob have 60k some think we need to have 61k - I don't think it's worth the hassle, in time we can hopefully introduce safe standing sections and I remember reading elsewhere ages ago that 3000 seats transforms into 5700 standing spaces so if that's the case I'd prefer to see that than butchering Ibrox.

Safe standing is 1 for 1 in Scotland. No capacity change whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

I believe it is m8, I had a few mates on the job constructing the steelwork for club deck etc and they tell me original plans were to have no screens and Sandy Jardine stand was to be made structural able to hold another tier if warranted, I'm not an architect but that's what I've been told 

There was quite a gap between the club deck and the corners being filled. They certainly weren't done as part of the same plan. Corners were done as part of the renovation in the mid 90s. Club deck had been in place years by then.

4 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

To be honest, given the perpetual decline of Scottish football, I think downsizing is more likely over the decades.

I've a feeling things will pick up with commencement of the old firm battle, we'll see how long that lasts but for the time being it's safe to say we're in for a few "sell out Saturdays".

10 hours ago, Inigo said:

4uw26xj.jpg4peddug.jpg

this does look like the finished article to me.

i never really understood why this was not done when the corners were filled in.

i think this would significantly improve the match day atmosphere, having all 3 stands (not main)) connected fully.

this has nothing to do with trying to match Septic capacity, but improving atmosphere.

i,m not saying this is a priority, after all we must get it right on the pitch first.

however we must be ready, if we have the ambition to be a player on the biggest stage in future.

U.E.F.A. allowing Ulster & Wales sides  to compete in the new style Challenge Cup,  have certainly brought out the old chestnut  of Rangers being allowed to move outwith these borders to play.

it had dragged on, i remember SDM saying in early 90,s that a European League was inevitable by the year 2000.

but i still believe this WILL happen one day.

we must be ready, i,m not saying we can join the elite in our current state, but we must surely be considered to join any second tier if it does eventually come about

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

There was quite a gap between the club deck and the corners being filled. They certainly weren't done as part of the same plan. Corners were done as part of the renovation in the mid 90s. Club deck had been in place years by then.

Never said they were on the same plan m8, the lads I know were on both jobs, as I said I'm no architect or engineer but that's what they told me 

Love the ambition of some in this thread! We are the biggest club in the country with the biggest fan base ergo we should have te biggest stadium. I remember Warburton saying before we played Hivs at Christmas we could've sold 70,000 tickets, shows the potential is there. Always stated I wanted the corners filled in at the main stand to give us that completeness. ??

No need for any major changes at the moment. I would like to see safe standing in the old enclosure area but it would only be economically viable if it allowed an increase in capacity. Any major upgrade would only be viable if we were in the EPL where the extra capacity would be needed for all the home games

we don't need to expand capacity right now. just tidy up the stadium as it is. the outside needs a bit of refreshing. the bill struth stand should not be touched whatsoever. the other stands should be updated to have the same appearance as the main stand. so add glass panels with blue framing and maybe even blue/silver highlights in certain areas. i think it'd look cracking.

as for capacity, just make a section of the stadium standing. probably copland stand 1st tier.  that would be a good start and should get a few more people in. and if we need to increase capacity again then get rid of the screens and fill them in. again bottom tiers could be standing and top tier for sitting. i'm not an architect or engineer but i seriously doubt it would be impossible. expensive aye probably but i bet it could be done.

The only way to increase the capacity at Ibrox is get rid of the screens and the only stand that can take another tier is the Sandy Jardine stand .

But for me taking the screens out and doing the corners properly would add about 6k and a little bit of TLC and she can hold her own with the best of them. Nit many stadiums can show the history and class Ibrox can they are all new builds 

• 10 months later...