True Blues

I thought I would take a little detour for my 10,000th post, and I have thought a lot recently about the past and why I am the Rangers fan I am, and who gets the credit.

The first was my dad, Jim, who took me to my first game when I was 4. I have no memory of this, but he used to enjoy telling people that even then I was criticising Greig's tactics. The first game I really remember was a 5-0 win over Clyde in the Skol Cup, and a Bobby Williamson hat trick. I went to a good few games with my dad throughout the rest of the 80s, never as many as I wanted, most of the time after we were just arguing - his view that Gough was the finest centre back he had seen, mine that he hoofed the ball up the pitch far too much, his view that Baxter was the greatest, mine that it was Laudrup, and his very strong negative opinions on Jim Denny, that I struggled to have any clue about.

But my real Rangers education was in the early 90s with my brother, Graeme. We started going to games together around the 91/92 season, and apart from the time he took his mate Kenny to the Leeds game, we were pretty much ever-present in the west enclosure in the 5IAR season and through 6, including a brief (and baffling) stint as part of the Montrose RSC (my brother lived in Perth at the time and they drove past). I got my season ticket in the first year with Brian Laudrup at the club, in the now seated West Enclosure, with my brother beside me, I was in East Kilbride still, he turned up whether living in Dunkeld, Leeds or the Isle of Man.

My fondest memory was of the great 1-0 win in an away old firm game, Laudrup scored the winner early on, we missed a penalty, and about 5 one on one with the keeper (including Van Vossen's miss) but the win was secured by an Andy Goram penalty save near the end. Graeme and I drove home that evening with scarves flying from the windows and singing our way loudly through the streets of the east end of Glasgow.

We had many a joyful European night together, and a heartbreaking one, the standout being the 2-2 draw with Marseille, although 2-1 v Bruges was a very close runner up to that. 

Graeme was back in Scotland and by the time of our demotion he travelled to almost every game on our journey back up through league two, league one and our first year in the championship. Many of you will have heard his voice because he shouted louder than anyone and sang louder and more off key than anyone else there. 

Graeme and I were there in Manchester with 2 tickets that cost us £550 each, and then which were suddenly refunded by eBay - after we had tickets in hand, so some poor German rip off merchant lost out big time.

My father passed away 6 years ago, more of an armchair watcher in his last 15 years, but at the ridiculous age of 64. He missed the horrific times that beset us.

My brother passed away last July, just before the 6-1 win over Hibs in the Petrofac, him, at the even more ridiculous age of 48.

I wouldn't be the bear that I am without the non-stop talking, arguing, singing, shouting, chanting and falling out over football that I had with my dad and my brother - and I know that they are always still there with us as we move on towards 55.

Well said LB, I can relate to much of your post being close to ages with you.

Sorry to hear about your brother passing away last year, much, much to young.

Thanks for taking the time to post mate.

Brilliant, brilliant post.

Struck me as I lost my Dad last year and by going through your time-line you sound of a similar age to myself.  Sad to hear about your brother but you'll always have those memories.  The best ones always involve watching the Rangers - always.

1 hour ago, legalbeagle said:

I thought I would take a little detour for my 10,000th post, and I have thought a lot recently about the past and why I am the Rangers fan I am, and who gets the credit.

The first was my dad, Jim, who took me to my first game when I was 4. I have no memory of this, but he used to enjoy telling people that even then I was criticising Greig's tactics. The first game I really remember was a 5-0 win over Clyde in the Skol Cup, and a Bobby Williamson hat trick. I went to a good few games with my dad throughout the rest of the 80s, never as many as I wanted, most of the time after we were just arguing - his view that Gough was the finest centre back he had seen, mine that he hoofed the ball up the pitch far too much, his view that Baxter was the greatest, mine that it was Laudrup, and his very strong negative opinions on Jim Denny, that I struggled to have any clue about.

But my real Rangers education was in the early 90s with my brother, Graeme. We started going to games together around the 91/92 season, and apart from the time he took his mate Kenny to the Leeds game, we were pretty much ever-present in the west enclosure in the 5IAR season and through 6, including a brief (and baffling) stint as part of the Montrose RSC (my brother lived in Perth at the time and they drove past). I got my season ticket in the first year with Brian Laudrup at the club, in the now seated West Enclosure, with my brother beside me, I was in East Kilbride still, he turned up whether living in Dunkeld, Leeds or the Isle of Man.

My fondest memory was of the great 1-0 win in an away old firm game, Laudrup scored the winner early on, we missed a penalty, and about 5 one on one with the keeper (including Van Vossen's miss) but the win was secured by an Andy Goram penalty save near the end. Graeme and I drove home that evening with scarves flying from the windows and singing our way loudly through the streets of the east end of Glasgow.

We had many a joyful European night together, and a heartbreaking one, the standout being the 2-2 draw with Marseille, although 2-1 v Bruges was a very close runner up to that. 

Graeme was back in Scotland and by the time of our demotion he travelled to almost every game on our journey back up through league two, league one and our first year in the championship. Many of you will have heard his voice because he shouted louder than anyone and sang louder and more off key than anyone else there. 

Graeme and I were there in Manchester with 2 tickets that cost us £550 each, and then which were suddenly refunded by eBay - after we had tickets in hand, so some poor German rip off merchant lost out big time.

My father passed away 6 years ago, more of an armchair watcher in his last 15 years, but at the ridiculous age of 64. He missed the horrific times that beset us.

My brother passed away last July, just before the 6-1 win over Hibs in the Petrofac, him, at the even more ridiculous age of 48.

I wouldn't be the bear that I am without the non-stop talking, arguing, singing, shouting, chanting and falling out over football that I had with my dad and my brother - and I know that they are always still there with us as we move on towards 55.

Great wee read m8 and as others have said I can relate as our time lines seem very similar, I also went to my first match at 4, my auld man says it was against young boys from Switzerland and that I was a pain in the arse  (I can relate to that now taking my own) I'm very fortunate to still go to the games with my brothers, like your own dad mine is more comfortable watching on the box as he got older and I'm sure their looking down on you very proud indeed 

2 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

Brilliant post , shivers up the spine stuff 

sorry for your losses 

16 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Love reading posts like this, shame your loved ones can't be here in the flesh for their teams return to their rightful place at the top of Scottish football but they will be there in spirit.

I like them because they sound so familiar. Makes you think of your own wee Rangers journey.

Sorry to hear about your dad and brother, LB. Must be a great comfort to remember how they helped bring you to something you hold so dear now. I think his bringing me up Rangers is one of the things I cherish most in my own relationship with my dad.

Enjoyed that post mate. My dad took me in 87 to my first game but done his tits in so he never took me again for good few years. Am not close with my dad now tho i know he still goes to games, he took me all through 9 in a row till i started going with my mates so always be thankful for him doing that. I have a son now myself only 17 months but he's already got a season ticket and can't wait to start taken him.

Lovely tribute to your dad and brother, I lost my dad just before Forfar put us out the league cup first round, in fact my brother was up from England clearing things out as I was numb while we listened to it on the radio

My dad took me everywhere like your dad and always made sure I had the latest strip, he was 74 and after just being demoted and his death it left a big hole where Rangers were concerned.

Every so often even now when I leave a game my first thought is to call him and tell him about it.

We never had much but my dad made sure I got to see my beloved Rangers and they were shite. But as a kid that's your team and you nail your colours to the mast and declare your a bear forever more. 

Yes Gough was world class, yes Baxter was something else as my dad said , and when asked about Gazza he snapped back couldn't lace Baxters boots.

Once my dad gave me the dvd of Wullie  Henderson and told me to go away and educate myself, educate I did what a marvellous player and I always wondered who was better him or King Brian? Laudrup was the best foreigner by far to ever grace our game and I will adore him till the day I die and tell my gran kids how shite modern day players are. 

6 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

Thanks for sharing a story of a Rangers family man who lost 2 family members on a lifetimes journey. Stories like this give me a lump in my throat and makes me realise why I am the Rangers man I am. This story has so many parts that touch my own story. Cheers legalbeagle

7 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

My uncle Harry Johnston died last night was the hardest rangers supporter I ever knew.even my old man was worried about him, and he was scared of no cunt. Saw him split a taigs  face with one punch when I was a wee yin.used to run supporters buses and planes in the 70s and 80s .

RIP uncHarry.plenty talked behind your back but very few fronted you.

No Surrender

Rab