Happy birthday to Davie Cooper

RFCRobertson

Today the Rangers legend would have been 61 

Davie Cooper was born in the year 1956, on the 25th of February in Hamilton. It would be in 1977 that he would join our famous team for a fee of £100,000 (£570,164.84 today) and was on £100 a week (£570.16 today). He would make 376 appearances for us and in that time he scored 49 goals from his position of Winger. and while with us he lifted 13 trophies, including 3 league trophies, 3 scottish cups and 7 scottish league cups. 

In tribute to his death in March 22nd 1995, then manager Walter Smith said this about Davie "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used." Following his death, Motherwell a side Cooper played with renamed their north stand at fir park after him in his honour. and at the Scottish league cup final in 2005, Rangers and Motherwell paid tribute to his memory. 

He was a gifted player and a great Rangers, god bless 

Raising a glass to you today coops. I wish I'd been able to see you pull on the blue jersey for real. I was 14 when he passed,but one thing that stuck in my mind from his football skills programme was when he said he used to practice taking free kicks against a brick wall,and practice bending the ball around it. I took that and kept doing it til I could

9 hours ago, big blue Fin said:

Total legend.

I'm just glad he's not here to see the mess we're in, it would break his heart.

Davie experienced some lows  in the early 80's and I'll be forever grateful that Souness rescued his career and gave him the platform to exhibit his genius. I've often heard it said he was inconsistent like all wingers but when he was on his game he was so far ahead of everyone else you knew you were witnessing something truly special. 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, RFCRobertson said:

Davie Cooper was born in the year 1956, on the 25th of February in Hamilton. It would be in 1977 that he would join our famous team for a fee of £100,000 (£570,164.84 today) and was on £100 a week (£570.16 today). He would make 376 appearances for us and in that time he scored 49 goals from his position of Winger. and while with us he lifted 13 trophies, including 3 league trophies, 3 scottish cups and 7 scottish league cups. 

In tribute to his death in March 22nd 1995, then manager Walter Smith said this about Davie "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used." Following his death, Motherwell a side Cooper played with renamed their north stand at fir park after him in his honour. and at the Scottish league cup final in 2005, Rangers and Motherwell paid tribute to his memory. 

Davie Cooper   Legend

My only 2 wishes . He were alive today and his goal of the century was kept for the following final in May

We miss guys like Davie greatly  . :bow:

On 25/02/2017 at 10:27 AM, RFCRobertson said:

It's my pals 66th birthday today, he stayed next door to coops in the early 80s, he always said he was a gentleman

On 2/25/2017 at 11:19 PM, ianferguson said:

Davie experienced some lows  in the early 80's and I'll be forever grateful that Souness rescued his career and gave him the platform to exhibit his genius. I've often heard it said he was inconsistent like all wingers but when he was on his game he was so far ahead of everyone else you knew you were witnessing something truly special. 

He did have a few games where he was average, but when he was on form he could be sublime. It's just a pity he died before he pass that skill on to more youngsters.