DJ and the 1978 World Cup

Still racking my brain to find an answer as to why big Derek never started in any of the 3 World Cup games that year.  He was the highest scorer in Scottish football that year.  Still remember the headed goal vs. Wales.

Big Vancouver shout out to the Bear who put the Colin McAdam video on thread.  I'd like to say that it brought back a lot of memories but this was at a time when the world was bigger and I had lost touch with Rangers bar the odd newspaper sent out to me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Still racking my brain to find an answer as to why big Derek never started in any of the 3 World Cup games that year.  He was the highest scorer in Scottish football that year.  Still remember the headed goal vs. Wales.

Big Vancouver shout out to the Bear who put the Colin McAdam video on thread.  I'd like to say that it brought back a lot of memories but this was at a time when the world was bigger and I had lost touch with Rangers bar the odd newspaper sent out to me.

Because Ally Macleod was an idiot is the answer.   Was at that game versus Wales courtesy of some Welsh lads who got us tickets.  Great trip back when I actually gave a shit about Scotland.

As you say , Premier League top scorer , won the treble , think he also won both Player of the Year awards , also scored a cracker against Northern Ireland as well as Wales.  In fact , I'm pretty sure he scored all Scotland goals ( 2 ) in the Home Internationals . 

So yeah , as siddiqi says , cos Ally McLeod was an idiot . Even when we were drawing with Iran , he turned to an ageing Joe Harper on the bench to try and find the winner . Needless to say , he didn't . 

Btw , not only did DJ not start , im pretty sure he never kicked a ball there . 

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Joe Jordan was in the form of his life that year and obviously Kenny Dalglish was never going to be axed. I don't think Derek Johnstone's ambiguity about which position he preferred helped either.

He only turned to Souness against Holland as well even when he was obviously the best midfielder available to him, Masson and Rioch were brilliant in the qualifiers but were past it by the time that the WC proper started, McLeod was to loyal to the team that got him to the WC , and it cost us big time and ruined his career as a manager as well, he did go on to manage other teams but that campaign ruined his reputation.

I'm pretty sure I read in DJ's autobiography that he did have a fallout with McLeod at the teams HQ , but it's been so long since I read it I may be mistaken.

I lived in Inverness at the time and remember going to a question and answer gig with McLeod in the run up to the tournament at a local hotel and it was noticeable that he referred to DJ as Johnstone but if talking about Rioch it would be Bruce, or if it was Masson it would be Don. I actually asked a question about DJ and it was obvious from the tone of his reply that McLeod didn't like him,  the big man was on fire at the time and Joe Jordan wasn't, it was a no brainer who should have been first pick.

In fairness Joe Jordan was in the form of his life and Scotland's best player out there so it was no surprise that DJ did not start. However it was a surprise that he never kicked a ball the whole tournament. I think I am correct in saying he was the only outfield player not to play at all. 

i reme mber being in massive fall out with ally fan.  i said ok it was only a friendly but no international team  should loose a friendly by 5 goals ,john greigs testimonial. i was all sorts of traitor ,turns out he hardly went to games . and after the argie farce he was not to be found. the story was that souness and dj had a big fall out in training