Warburton - Rangers have a chance.

Does he have a job in talking about us now? :lol: 

The former Ibrox gaffer believes his side will be full of confidence after six straight wins but is aware Rodgers could use that to his advantage

MARK WARBURTON reckons Rangers will be convinced celtic are there for the taking on Sunday.

Ex-Gers boss Warbs is certain Graeme Murty’s squad will also be brimming with confidence after 23 goals in six straight wins.

He said: “Rangers go into this game on a good run of form, and they should be full of confidence. I don’t think they will go into Sunday’s game with any inferiority complex.

“I think it’s more about celtic. This year after 26 games they are 14 or 15 points worse off than last year.

“celtic are favourites with the strength of their squad and who they are.

“But Rangers will be thinking they are there for the taking.”

Victory would hoist Gers to within just three points of Brendan Rodgers’ champions, and spark a title fight.

Warburton, who filled his players with belief in the build-up to their shock Scottish Cup semi-final triumph over the Hoops in 2016, added: “You hope very much that the likes of Bruno Alves will be back, someone with experience of huge games.

“Ibrox will be very expectant. The Rangers fans will be well aware of just how few points they could be behind celtic at full-time.

“I very much hope Rangers can enjoy the occasion, and deliver a big performance and result.

“Brendan Rodgers, though, is very good with the psychology of his players. He’ll be saying: ‘They think they have got a chance’.

“He’s got a crop of seasoned pros, internationals, trophy-winning players.

“But they’ve dropped a lot of points this season compared to last, that can encourage Rangers.”

Warburton took Jason Cummings from Hibs to Nottingham Forest last summer, but was sacked at the City Ground before the striker returned north in January to join Gers on loan.

Cummings scored four times in 17 games at Forest, but the striker was ignored by new boss Aitor Karanka, who let him go to Ibrox.

But Cummings, 22, has quickly become a huge Gers fans’ favourite, netting a hat-trick in last weekend’s Scottish Cup win over Falkirk.

Yet it’s not certain Murty will start him against celtic.

Warburton said: “Jason is a goalscorer, it’s as simple as that.

“I was asked recently why he didn’t play more at Forest. But it was no reflection on his ability. He just had to adapt to the Championship. It’s a different level.

“Jason was doing that, he was getting stronger and quicker.

“I would hope he would be quick to tell you he went back to Scotland a much better player.

“It’s a nice selection problem for Murty to have. He’s also got Morelos and Kenny Miller.”

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images