Croatia

GOAT

Because unlike Scottish players, those Croats know in order to get better they leave the country and play in better leagues. Scottish players don't seem to want to leave their 'pals' or want to learn a new language in order to further their career in foreign territories. It's Scotland's lazy attitude that's a huge problem. 

10 hours ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Because unlike Scottish players, those Croats know in order to get better they leave the country and play in better leagues. Scottish players don't seem to want to leave their 'pals' or want to learn a new language in order to further their career in foreign territories. It's Scotland's lazy attitude that's a huge problem. 

It’s a UK wide problem. Very few English players will go abroad because they are happy to stay in the ‘comfort’ of the Premier League and I think that’s a big reason why they struggle when they come up against teams who have players who have been around various leagues learning different styles, tactics, cultures, etc, etc.

On 21/06/2018 at 21:45, Inigo said:

Would Yugoslavia have won a WC in the last 30 years if Yugoslavia hadn't imploded? Or at least a Euro?

Judging by their phenomenal qualifying campaign for Euro 92, they would have been one of the favourites for that if the country hadn't disintegrated before the tournament. And that was before Suker, Boban and Mijatovic really peaked too, so they would have looked very good for the 94 and 98 world cups. They were notorious underperformers though.

Obviously Croatia were great in 98 but I'm not sure just adding the best of Serbia and Montenegro to that team improves it. They were running on a fresh nationalist fervour. Maybe one reason why Yugoslavia was always less than the sum of its parts is that it was decentralised, and most Yugoslavs never had a real overriding sense of Yugoslav identity, except when in the army. 

36 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Correct me if I’m going but aren’t Yugoslavia back then just a modern day Serbia?

As in what countries was it made of? It was an amalgamation of Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Slovenia. And Kosovo, if that's regarded as separate now.

On 22/06/2018 at 09:55, DBBTB said:

It’s a UK wide problem. Very few English players will go abroad because they are happy to stay in the ‘comfort’ of the Premier League and I think that’s a big reason why they struggle when they come up against teams who have players who have been around various leagues learning different styles, tactics, cultures, etc, etc.

I think it's two different problems. In England it's because of comfort and money, in Scotland, players simply not good enough to play overseas. 

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

Correct me if I’m going but aren’t Yugoslavia back then just a modern day Serbia?

Until 1991 Yugoslavia was Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia and Montenegro. Serbia and Montenegro kept calling themselves Yugoslavia til 2003.

On 21/06/2018 at 21:45, Inigo said:

Would Yugoslavia have won a WC in the last 30 years if Yugoslavia hadn't imploded? Or at least a Euro?

on paper a good chance .

thing is they always had some right good players playing for Yugoslavia, What probably wasn't evident to most of us was the underlying political differences between the region's 

they didn't just wake up one day in 1990 and decide a on a wee bit of war and ethnic cleansing .

playing under Croatia and Serbia have definatley made them into better teams