4-1-4-1

Noticeably from the way we set up yesterday that with Candeias and Arfield in the middle with McRorie sitting, our central midfelders ended up wider supporting the wingers and outnumbering the full backs, with McRorie being the protection. I'm presuming this is the primary formation although Gerrard has said he would use others depending on the opposition. 

Even though it was v Bury it looked effective. Do we think this is the formation and line up v Shkupi?

I felt is was  4-2-3-1 with Mccrorie and Arfield staying closer to each other futher back. Then the other 3 interchanging a lot.  Not sure it suits Candieas.

There was a lot of movement and bury could not track runners as Arfield and Mccrorie swapped continuously. Windass Murphy and Candieas keps swapping positions and changing wings. 

I think we played with one striker as we really dont have 2 available.

What is obvious is we need to strethen and ship out quite a few poor players.

49 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Never saw the game but how effective was a lone striker yesterday? I was under the impression that Morelos would be more well suited in a 2 up front formation, having some support up top.

For the first time in a few years the lone striker didnt look alone. He was never isolated.

Obviously need to see how it pans out over the next few games but it worked well.

1 minute ago, Ryju84 said:

For the first time in a few years the lone striker didnt look alone. He was never isolated.

Obviously need to see how it pans out over the next few games but it worked well.

I've seen the goals and I have to say they were shite (bury) but it is only a friendly. Hopefully he is like that in competitive fixtures in the upcoming season.

Formations on and off the ball are different, off the ball we were set up in a 4-1-4-1 but on the ball the wide players pushed forward and the 2 higher players in midfield looked to break beyond Morelos with full-backs over-lapping to virtually play a 2-1-4-3 on that ball in an ultra-attacking way, it’s a lot like Liverpool. 

Klopp says he always wants 3 players protecting defensively which were the 2 centre half’s, and McCrorie most of the time but there was license for Katic to break forward if a full-back stayed.

It was 4-3-3.

listen to Arfields post match interview and he talks about the rotation with ross and Danny and the guys up front did the same.

The thing is if you play a fluid system it can appear like 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 at times but I believe it’s 4-3-3.

2 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

We didn’t play a 4141?! It was 433.

I totally disagree it was most definitely a 4-1-4-1 formation that started the game and stayed in place until all the changes in second half 

2 hours ago, stevemac said:

Never saw the game but how effective was a lone striker yesterday? I was under the impression that Morelos would be more well suited in a 2 up front formation, having some support up top.

One up top works fine when you have a midfield getting forward to support him like last night. 

If we could find better than Windass then both Mo and that player would have a field day in this league. 

The fact that there are people in this thread all with a different point of view of what the formation was is very pleasing,hopefully the opposition are equally as baffled.

Whatever it was,it worked and although Morelos only got 1 he could have had more.We were overloading the Bury box every time we had possession. If we can keep that intensity through a full season then there are exiting times ahead.

All the youngsters did well also.

Plenty of positives even allowing for poor opposition.

4141 is basically 433 when attacking anyway, the most impressive thing for me was the constant roatation of positions by players which left Bury very confused about who they were marking or how to play. Desperate to play Aberdeen or a decent Europa League Side now to see how it translates over to a competitive game.