Substitutions

five stars

15 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

And it is everything, but sadly you won't get that.

He said we can't afford a rookie manager ffs. Try not to be so blinded by your megalomania.

He implied we can't afford the mistakes a rookie manager makes, not the financial package.

Grow the fuck up.

13 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Another fucking have a go at the manager thread.

Fucking shameless would spring to mind.

It's a fucking wonder why none are managing Barca with all the fucking experts in here.

Does King get the blame for today seeing as he gets credit when things are good? Didn't think so.

Does Gerrard get the blame for selecting a player with next to no game time and who failed miserably, for failing to be proactive with subs, to making wrong subs again? Funnily enough not from you despite him at least having the decency to accept blame for today.

You've turned into clown. Embarrassing.

He said he takes responsibility for the defeat but he really pointed the finger of blame at the players. Well, it is his responsibility to get us a team that can get results. He'll get the time to do that but he's under a bit of pressure now. Hope we see some changes in January. Oh, and his substitutions have been rank recently. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Late and wrong just like every week. 

Against Rapid Vienna the experts on this forum berated the manager for nòt making subs.....at that point in that game we were on the ascendancy and he stuck to his guns and we won 3-1....so was he wrong then?

Arfield should’ve been on for Ejaria (booked) or Jack (pish today) at half time at the earliest. From the first half it was painfully obvious we were missing someone to bring the ball forwards and make a pass which is exactly what Arfield can do. Sadiq should’ve been hooked by the hour but I don’t even know who we would have replaced him with, maybe Grezda? 

Time and again Gerrard leaves it far too late for a sub to change the game, either waiting until they don’t have enough time to make an impact or until the damage has been done. I really hope this is something he can sort out ASAP because it’s starting to cost us and if we had made subs sooner today (and in midweek for that matter) we would have probably won. Incredibly frustrating, we were unlucky that we had no other strikers to choose but the game was still very winnable. 

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Why take on Middleton, who needs space to get in behind their full back, right after Aberdeen had scored and were about to start sitting even deeper. The time to make that sub was 15 minutes before he did.

Well that was my point. The change needed to be made a lot sooner. Personally I’d have went with grezda or Middleton as a false 9 but I’m not paid to make these decisions. 

If sadiq isn’t good enough to play against Ayr then don’t fucking give him 90 minutes in a semi. 

Also falling over after he rounded the goalie was a fucking joke. 

3 minutes ago, Bluenose1986 said:

Well that was my point. The change needed to be made a lot sooner. Personally I’d have went with grezda or Middleton as a false 9 but I’m not paid to make these decisions. 

If sadiq isn’t good enough to play against Ayr then don’t fucking give him 90 minutes in a semi. 

Also falling over after he rounded the goalie was a fucking joke. 

I’d have swapped Arfield for Coulibaly and Middleton for Sadiq and moved Kent to move centrally to play a a false 9 to draw their centre halves out and create the space for either Arfield to run into or the space to get the ball in behind the full back who would have to tuck in for Middleton to run on to.

Just now, DBBTB said:

I’d have swapped Arfield for Coulibaly and Middleton for Sadiq and moved Kent to move centrally to play a a false 9 to draw their centre halves out and create the space for either Arfield to run into or the space to get the ball in behind the full back who would have to tuck in for Middleton to run on to.

Aye. Something. 

Guy in front of me was having a proper go asking what I’d change (I was screaming towards the dugout why not make a change earlier etc). 

My answer was sadiq. He offered nothing. Chased fuckall. Gave the centre half’s an easy day and fell over any time he was challenged. 

Hes obviously not doing it in training and not featuring against ayr tells you everything. 

Mix have went with grezda or Middleton from the beginning in a false 9 role. 

The obvious change was to take a very tired Ryan Jack off and put Coulabary back into his natural position with Arfield coming on to provide an attacking threat from midfield.

Also replacing one of our largely ineffective wingers with fresh legs against a tiring defensive.

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Another fucking have a go at the manager thread.

Fucking shameless would spring to mind.

It's a fucking wonder why none are managing Barca with all the fucking experts in here.

So what makes you more of an expert than the rest of us? Apart from Europa he has failed miserably and to select sadiq was beyond madness. So when are you supposed to have ago at the manager if not after another fucking shambles?

16 minutes ago, Dickie said:

So what makes you more of an expert than the rest of us? Apart from Europa he has failed miserably and to select sadiq was beyond madness. So when are you supposed to have ago at the manager if not after another fucking shambles?

I'm no fucking expert and not saying I am but morons calling for the managers head, not good enough, we can't afford a rookie are just that. All the petty digs and innuendo and let's not forget our greatest manager was the world's worst for substitutions.

Some like a good rant and others really do think they know better than the manager. Now we know fans are fickle, including me, but to rubbish Gerrard the way we do is nothing short of a disgrace. A fine young man making his way in management and one who has much to offer and actually brought us back some semblance fucking dignity, we seriously haven't a fucking clue and wouldn't know respect if we tripped over it, far less self respect.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

I'm no fucking expert and not saying I am but morons calling for the managers head, not good enough, we can't afford a rookie are just that. All the petty digs and innuendo and let's not forget our greatest manager was the world's worst for substitutions.

Some like a good rant and others really do think they know better than the manager. Now we know fans are fickle, including me, but to rubbish Gerrard the way we do is nothing short of a disgrace. A fine young man making his way in management and one who has much to offer and actually brought us back some semblance fucking dignity, we seriously haven't a fucking clue and wouldn't know respect if we tripped over it, far less self respect.

A run in Europe hasn’t brought us back our dignity and what has he done to earn our respect? Taken us to a lofty 5th place in league,shafted by newly promoted Livingston or failed to beat the sheep twice(even murty had the beating of those cunts). A fine young man indeed and a great player but that doesn’t guarantee he’ll be a great manager. You are saying he is beyond criticism what fucking nonsense.

8 hours ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

Arfield should’ve been on for Ejaria (booked) or Jack (pish today) at half time at the earliest. From the first half it was painfully obvious we were missing someone to bring the ball forwards and make a pass which is exactly what Arfield can do. Sadiq should’ve been hooked by the hour but I don’t even know who we would have replaced him with, maybe Grezda? 

Time and again Gerrard leaves it far too late for a sub to change the game, either waiting until they don’t have enough time to make an impact or until the damage has been done. I really hope this is something he can sort out ASAP because it’s starting to cost us and if we had made subs sooner today (and in midweek for that matter) we would have probably won. Incredibly frustrating, we were unlucky that we had no other strikers to choose but the game was still very winnable. 

Agree 100% with this. Very frustrating why Gerrard couldn't see it. The only reason I can think why would be it was around 65-70 minutes where we seemed to be almost on the verge of a goal  as Ejaria and Kent had been in behind their deep defence a couple of times and perhaps he was reluctant to change it then.  I think there will possibly be a large number of changes for Kilmarnock on Wednesday with probably Morelos, Rossiter, Arfield, Middleton, Grezda maybe even Halliday all coming in.  

9 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Against Rapid Vienna the experts on this forum berated the manager for nòt making subs.....at that point in that game we were on the ascendancy and he stuck to his guns and we won 3-1....so was he wrong then?

So you pick out one game and go look look your wrong he can get his Subs or lack of spot on. 

Tell me, just how the fuck can you expect folk to debate a point when your stance is he got it rightish once so all is good.

Remember what they say about a broken clock. 

9 hours ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

Arfield was clearly nowhere near 100% fit when he came on, and Grezda was woeful against Spartak but yeah let's just stick him up front against two bruising centre halves.

Sadiq did far better than any of Aberdeen's centre forwards so he's certainly not the reason why we lost that game, silly fucking dive he took aside.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Arfield was clearly nowhere near 100% fit when he came on, and Grezda was woeful against Spartak but yeah let's just stick him up front against two bruising centre halves.

Sadiq did far better than any of Aberdeen's centre forwards so he's certainly not the reason why we lost that game, silly fucking dive he took aside.

You can’t judge Arfield on that appearance, he was brought on with 10 minutes to go against a team who had just scored and were content to sit back and invite us on knowing that we had no real goal threat. He didn’t have a chance to impact the game at all because the substitution was left so late. 

I suggested Grezda because we had virtually no other option, not because I think he would be a good impact sub. If anything he would have given us fresh legs and another dimension to our play. We didn’t have any proper striking options so I wouldn’t be too harsh on Gerrard for that, but the fact remains that he got the team selection and his substitutions very wrong and it has cost us yet again. 

11 hours ago, Bluenose1986 said:

I was going off my nut. I had a guy in front of me asking what I would change. 9 minutes to go I said sadiq he’s done fuckall. 

Why wait that long? 

Doesn’t have much confidence in the bench warmers?

Seems to me he’s not mixing it up as we don’t have any game changers.

Slightly different story if Borasic, Murphy, Dorrans, Lafferty are fit and on the bench. Grezda presumably not fully match fit.

But they aren’t and weren’t.

They have there detractors but every one of them offers something slightly different going forward.

A fully fit Arfield would have altered the make up of the starting 11 too but he clearly wasn’t ready to start.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So you pick out one game and go look look your wrong he can get his Subs or lack of spot on. 

Tell me, just how the fuck can you expect folk to debate a point when your stance is he got it rightish once so all is good.

Remember what they say about a broken clock. 

Yip, it's easy to criticise after the result  but again we were the better team and on the ascendancy, scoring yesterday was the main issue in our play as we lacked quality, hindsight is a wonderful thing but not one person in here could have guaranteed a win by starting with a different line up or as you say making subs a lot earlier than we did.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Yip, it's easy to criticise after the result  but again we were the better team and on the ascendancy, scoring yesterday was the main issue in our play as we lacked quality, hindsight is a wonderful thing but not one person in here could have guaranteed a win by starting with a different line up or as you say making subs a lot earlier than we did.

It’s got nothing to do with hindsight. 

It wasn’t working yesterday, on the ascendancy is a stretch, they were happy giving us the ball and sitting deep.

So you have to change it, just standing there hoping for it to work isn’t nuts, they should’ve been told they were getting 10mins of the second half to get their finger out or it was changing, we could’ve played there all day and not scored. 

When the guy taking the dead ball situations is constantly providing shit you tell him to leave it for someone else, you change it to try for a different outcome, all this has nothing to do hindsight its common bloody sense  

As for line up I agree hindsight is great but so is maximising your chances of success, playing a forward who hasn’t kicked a ball all season and has been questioned over his work ethic and capabilitiy is just mental. 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Doesn’t have much confidence in the bench warmers?

Seems to me he’s not mixing it up as we don’t have any game changers.

Slightly different story if Borasic, Murphy, Dorrans, Lafferty are fit and on the bench. Grezda presumably not fully match fit.

But they aren’t and weren’t.

They have there detractors but every one of them offers something slightly different going forward.

A fully fit Arfield would have altered the make up of the starting 11 too but he clearly wasn’t ready to start.

If he’s on the bench then he is fit enough to give you 30mins in the second half or what’s the point of having him on the bench. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It’s got nothing to do with hindsight. 

It wasn’t working yesterday, on the ascendancy is a stretch, they were happy giving us the ball and sitting deep.

So you have to change it, just standing there hoping for it to work isn’t nuts, they should’ve been told they were getting 10mins of the second half to get their finger out or it was changing, we could’ve played there all day and not scored. 

When the guy taking the dead ball situations is constantly providing shit you tell him to leave it for someone else, you change it to try for a different outcome, all this has nothing to do hindsight its common bloody sense  

As for line up I agree hindsight is great but so is maximising your chances of success, playing a forward who hasn’t kicked a ball all season and has been questioned over his work ethic and capabilitiy is just mental. 

I'm not agreeing that the sheep were happily giving us the ball....the amount of times they hurriedly lost possession or we hounded them to get the ball was far greater than them saying "Ok Rangers you take the ball"

Mcinnes even said it in his interview at full time, they had to hang in there as they couldn't get the ball was roughly his words.