Goldson rested ?

backup

You do look at Goldson sometimes and wonder if we can win SPL with him as mainstay of the team.  However, there are no great defenders in the SPL.

Not one defender in this league would make it into our good teams of the past.  A top centre half is rarer and more expensive than most prolific strikers now.  Fingers crossed the big man can grow and develop into what it takes.

3 minutes ago, Orange Persson said:

You do look at Goldson sometimes and wonder if we can win SPL with him as mainstay of the team.  However, there are no great defenders in the SPL.

Not one defender in this league would make it into our good teams of the past.  A top centre half is rarer and more expensive than most prolific strikers now.  Fingers crossed the big man can grow and develop into what it takes.

Thought he started ok, as did Katic. Maybe a rest would do him good.

We've played a lot of games and traveled a fair bit.

Can't believe the grief Goldson takes on here sometimes.

The boy has been tremendous for us and is a fantastic defender. Had a few shaky performances, but if you think we'll get a better CB than him then you're mad.

Plenty of CBs have made the mistake of going for the ball with the wrong foot.

A rest would be good, but he's got the international week coming up. 

19 minutes ago, ben51 said:

The boy has been tremendous for us and is a fantastic defender. Had a few shaky performances, but if you think we'll get a better CB than him then you're mad.

He has been nowhere near tremendous and is not a fantastic defender.

Hes average at best and I mean best.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Then it would have to be Mcauley & Worrall for Sunday because questions must be asked if Katic starts after is awful performance on Thursday. That's an untested pairing so he may ask Goldson to find that little bit extra.

If you're basing it on Thursday alone then Goldson would be 1 of the first people to drop, just after Flanagan, our 2 worst players by a fair distance against Spartak.

Overall though, he's been solid and think the international break comes at a good time for him, can get a good rest before the hectic winter schedule 

10 hours ago, FSM said:

He's only being asked to run about a park for 90 mins a couple of times a week ffs.

Wish my work would give me random rest days....

This, can imagine someone going into a job after a period on the dole and asking their boss for a break after 8 weeks of full time work

4 hours ago, ben51 said:

Katic was the better defender between the two of them when Gerrard decided to break up the partnership

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Katic was the better defender between the two of them when Gerrard decided to break up the partnership

I completely disagree. 

Katic has been lucky to receive the 'haven't played so get better' treatment. 

His last couple of performances have been horrific and if that's the drop in quality when he's dropped then he's clearly not as good as everyone thinks. 

41 minutes ago, ben51 said:

I completely disagree. 

Katic has been lucky to receive the 'haven't played so get better' treatment. 

His last couple of performances have been horrific and if that's the drop in quality when he's dropped then he's clearly not as good as everyone thinks. 

Cant compare katics recent form given his lack of game time, motherwell away goldson was an absolute bombscare and katic had to bail him out a good bit, and that was only the 3rd league game

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Cant compare katics recent form given his lack of game time, motherwell away goldson was an absolute bombscare and katic had to bail him out a good bit, and that was only the 3rd league game

As I said Goldson has had a couple of dodgy performances, which Motherwell is the only obvious one. 

I'm not trying to say Katic is shit, just that he has a lot to learn. 

I also can't believe that some posters have gone from having a hardon for Goldson to suddenly saying he's 'just average'. The boy is far better than any CB we've had for years.