If We Don't Finish Top Two..

SonOfLuther

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Twist or stick?

I'd stick as for me the bigger picture is one I can see potential in. To twist would be compounding the issue of yet another manager, more chaos, the cost and problems of a new guy having 4 ex manager's signings. And who would we go for that would be realistic in these circumstances of winning a league at 1st attempt (that will be the demand)?

Nope, not for me, it's far too soon even if we don't finish 2nd.

That's the thing, I don't think any reasonable fan would have expected to win the league at the start of the season & it would be the same expectations if somebody new came in, we won't win the league in the first season.

What should be an absolute certainty though for any manager is that we finish 2nd & have a decent go in the cups, the semi final defeat to Aberdeen was sickening but it can happen. 

We've now regressed to well we might finish 3rd but at least we can see progress...how is it progress if we can't finish ahead of Aberdeen/Kilmarnock, both on shoestring budgets with managers who we've regularly laughed at when they've been linked with us...

8 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

How can that possibly be acceptable? Anything can happen in the cup games as they are 1 off matches where we could win/lose so taking them out the equation 

We've spent a fucking fortune & with what you're saying, it's alright to finish 3rd either behind a piss poor Aberdeen side or behind Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock...seriously? 

Exactly what I was saying.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

That's the thing, I don't think any reasonable fan would have expected to win the league at the start of the season & it would be the same expectations if somebody new came in, we won't win the league in the first season.

What should be an absolute certainty though for any manager is that we finish 2nd & have a decent go in the cups, the semi final defeat to Aberdeen was sickening but it can happen. 

We've now regressed to well we might finish 3rd but at least we can see progress...how is it progress if we can't finish ahead of Aberdeen/Kilmarnock, both on shoestring budgets with managers who we've regularly laughed at when they've been linked with us...

Would you take worse than 2nd this season but a credible challenge at 1st next season? That's how I see it, and don't envisage that scenario being better off with a new manager coming in this summer.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Would you take worse than 2nd this season but a credible challenge at 1st next season? That's how I see it, and don't envisage that scenario being better off with a new manager coming in this summer.

Course I would because realistically I never seen us winning the title this season. I also never thought we'd be talking of finishing 3rd (or worse). A comfortable 2nd place should have been the aim with a free shot at the Europa League games.

If that would be a guarantee then fair enough but we can't guarantee that and who's to say we don't go and waste another 10 million in the summer and finish 3rd again 

It's a massive risk & 1 I dont think we'll take, I fully expect if we finish 3rd/4th that Gerrard will either walk in the summer or get pushed out the door.

5 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

If we don’t finish 2nd there has to be a change simple as that, our budget blows everybody else bar the taigs out the water ffs it would be a monumental embarrassment to finish lower than 2nd 

An embarrassment, again

5 hours ago, SonOfLuther said:

and finish the season empty handed..

What will the consequences be for Gerrard & Co.?

Too early to think about it or time to start preparing for what is becoming inevitable?

I'm truly hoping for the best but absolutely preparing for the worst, the latter seems more realistic. 

No consequences we cannot afford to pay him and his backroom team off our real problems are the fools in the boardroom.

5 hours ago, SonOfLuther said:

Idiotic as fuck keeping him if this is the road he's taking us down.

Nearly as idiotic as this post Son.

We're all hurting after last night's fiasco and we all lash out on here, fair enough, we were shite and Gerrard was definitely at fault. Killie away in midweek in sub zero temperatures is not the time to fanny about with a new formation but to even bring the ages of Defoe and Davis up is just straw clutching of the most frantic and desperate kind. 

We cannot afford to continually pay managers off if they don't meet our unrealistic demands, this isn't Championship Manager or Fifa where if you don't like a result you can simply return to an old save, this is reality and it tends to bite you on the arse. Last night reality, in the guise of Kilmarnock but us hard, it happens.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Course I would because realistically I never seen us winning the title this season. I also never thought we'd be talking of finishing 3rd (or worse). A comfortable 2nd place should have been the aim with a free shot at the Europa League games.

If that would be a guarantee then fair enough but we can't guarantee that and who's to say we don't go and waste another 10 million in the summer and finish 3rd again 

It's a massive risk & 1 I dont think we'll take, I fully expect if we finish 3rd/4th that Gerrard will either walk in the summer or get pushed out the door.

As I say, stick or twist.

I just think re the point above folk should be careful what they wish for if wanting him gone. Looking at the reality of what would be left behind would be worse than what any if the last 3 managers took on. And not one name out there would be accepted by the majority of the support so they're already up against it.

Time will tell. I'm for sticking is all I'm saying as the alternative risk is greater than the potential current reward.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

As I say, stick or twist.

I just think re the point above folk should be careful what they wish for if wanting him gone. Looking at the reality of what would be left behind would be worse than what any if the last 3 managers took on. And not one name out there would be accepted by the majority of the support so they're already up against it.

Time will tell. I'm for sticking is all I'm saying as the alternative risk is greater than the potential current reward.

Aye I agree with that, with the exception of Herrera/Pena who we are stuck with on long term deals, the rest we've been able to get rid of or they're out on loans on relatively low wages. 

If we get rid, we'll have alot who are on very big wages & who we'll struggle to move on if we've had a poor 2nd half of the season. 

Time will tell, I'm desperate for Gerrard to do well, for us firstly as a club but for him personally too and can accept there will be teething problems but at the end of the day if we finish 3rd or worse over the course of a season then there is absolutely no defence for that.

Can't see him getting sacked even if he barely finishes 3rd and doesn't even make the SC semis.

As for the improvement side of things, really Europe is the only improvement. A good improvement sure but otherwise,  we're still shocking domestically which was the thing above all else we needed to improve. Our mentality is still fragile as fuck as well sadly. 

6 hours ago, SonOfLuther said:

and finish the season empty handed..

What will the consequences be for Gerrard & Co.?

Too early to think about it or time to start preparing for what is becoming inevitable?

I'm truly hoping for the best but absolutely preparing for the worst, the latter seems more realistic. 

Its gerrards first season....what do you expect. There was a gulf when he arrived if consistency of results are considered. 

He should be fired if he doesn't get 2nd. Managers live and die by results and he is no different. I dread to think how much we are paying Defoe and Davis. It's been a roller-coaster but I can only see us going backwards. I highly doubt the scum will ever be so bad again. 

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Some of the OP’s after we get beat really need to watch those vids about suicide everyone is complaining about and do us all a favour. 

The knee jerk reaction syndrome is getting ridiculous these days .Then the minute we win a couple and the tarriers slip up we are the best thing since sliced bread .

Don't know why folk put themselves through it .

Fair enough if the gap grows one way or the other then have a reaction. but not this erratic pendulum of emotion .

At this rate we will never win the league for a generation if we chop and change every 6months to a year 

this season was always gong to be hit or miss in terms of winning the league but i'm more worried about next season now. 

if the board will only give Gerrard the ST money and any money made from selling players we currently have, he will need to pull off some magic to get a squad that's capable of winning the league next season. 

Morelos will be gone, possibly Tav and a few others and a lot of the squad just aren't up to it. another rebuild on a small budget is not filling me with confidence. 

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Yes because the quality of player in the squad has improved on recent years. You sack him and bring someone new in and they will want to bring their own players in again.

We can't keep hitting reset every season. Against tougher opposition that attack us I don't even think you can question that we have gotten better. We need to learn how to break down the teams in this league that sit in against us though 

If the quality of player has improved,why haven't results? Our domestic form is disgraceful.

We are more capable squad this season, of that I have no doubt. It's just frustrating that the likes of Killie, Livi, Hearts have also improved their setups. Possibly the tims and the sheep too. That's why we're currently not in the top 2. Long way to go in the season...prizes are given out in May, not now!