Winning Mentality

The Godfather

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

I said before the game that today was all about mentality and unfortunately we didn’t perform under pressure. Look back at the amount of time’s the taigs got late goals last season and people on here called them lucky, yes there many have been some element of luck but in the main it was a sheer determination to win that comes from winning trophy’s and titles over the years, we as a team don’t have that and today was proof. Someone else spoke about the lack of urgency and I think that comes from too many players thinking a draw away from home is a decent result, that maybe true at a mid table team but at Rangers, or any team that wants to win titles and silverware that attitude is unacceptable.

Top post 

it's all got a lot to do with experience players never sampling winning trophies or winning big games consistently 

The scum are laced with winners and more often than not ,that is passed on to the new recruits .The need to win at all costs 

At worst they take their struggling days to the wire .

We didn't even look interested in busting a gut in final stages to win that today .

We have players that are more accepting of days like today .Cause they have been there so often .And never really won anything 

I thought after the Killie game .We would see more of that .Instead recently we have Young boys debacle and today's shocking performance 

5 minutes ago, ronniescu said:

I keep saying it..... we cannot afford any passengers yet, right now, we have Tav, Ojo & surprisingly, Arfield. Is Gerrard the only person who can't see this?

The point of a big sqaud is to allow out of form players to be dropped. Ideally for hungry determined players looking to push them out the side. 

The manager seems to have favourites that play no matter what. That sentimentality will not bring success long term. A more ruthlesss approach is needed. 

Ojo definitely is a passenger. Arfield looks like a player who didn't have much of a summer break and is currently playing out of position, but you cannot doubt his commitment on the field. Tav defensively is suspect and has been since the day he joined you can forgive that at times as he makes up for it offensively. Today he did neither and had a probably as poor a ninety minutes since he arrived. In his defence unlike some of his teammates  he doesn't hide when he is having a bad day and continually makes himself available for the pass or takes the corner or freekick. 

On 20/10/2019 at 16:30, BlueKnight87 said:

Seen a few posts calling tynecastle a tough away game now.  A venue that hearts haven't won in since march.

It was a very winnable game. Yet they looked hungrier and more up for it. 

We need to start games on top and with a high intensity. We can't afford to start games like we did today. 

I kept reading in the match thread the last couple of days it would be 3/4/5 - 0 so it seems many thought it was going to be easy. :facepalm:

It is the manner of how we lost that makes many of us concerned that we are weak in our mentality when we have to win important games. I know we are still level with the tarriers but we should have been two points ahead ffs. 

EDIT:  21/10 - I wrote above that we 'lost' which was obviously wrong, what I was meaning to say was the way we 'lost two points'  

The blame falls at the manager imo.  Last season I got so annoyed constantly at how we started and played overall in the first half.  Me and a few other Ger supporters at my work expected a poor first half and a massive improvement second half.

Players that are out of form like Tav, for most of this season imo. The guy whips the ball in so much and it's been pretty poor, but he keeps doing it and even goes for corners... Ojo will hopefully be dropped as well imo.  I do think like how he reacts after losing the ball and that feeling is heightened big time when I see him lose the ball and he can't do anything worthwhile in attack. 

We don't have enough winners (Determined) and more than half our guys weren't first team players at their previous teams. Most games we play we have around 4 players who couldn't hold a game down at previous teams.

9 hours ago, VanBronckhorst2 said:

The blame falls at the manager imo.  Last season I got so annoyed constantly at how we started and played overall in the first half.  Me and a few other Ger supporters at my work expected a poor first half and a massive improvement second half.

Players that are out of form like Tav, for most of this season imo. The guy whips the ball in so much and it's been pretty poor, but he keeps doing it and even goes for corners... Ojo will hopefully be dropped as well imo.  I do think like how he reacts after losing the ball and that feeling is heightened big time when I see him lose the ball and he can't do anything worthwhile in attack. 

We don't have enough winners (Determined) and more than half our guys weren't first team players at their previous teams. Most games we play we have around 4 players who couldn't hold a game down at previous teams.

Spot on and regarding players who have the experience of winning anything of note we have only a goalkeeper and a midfielder.

13 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

The point of a big sqaud is to allow out of form players to be dropped. Ideally for hungry determined players looking to push them out the side. 

The manager seems to have favourites that play no matter what. That sentimentality will not bring success long term. A more ruthlesss approach is needed. 

I think at the start it was easy for him not to have any favourites. I think when he first came here and it was clear you'd be dropped if you didn't perform it was really a breath of fresh air and we were all for that. However, I think that attitude gets harder as you get closer to the team and Gerrard is falling into that trap.

For example, I think most of us would agree that Tav has given us game winning performances over the time he's been with us. It will be difficult for Gerrard to forget that and judge what is in front of him now. He might be a bit fearful about dropping a player who has been very good for us in the past, because 1 it opens him up to major criticism if it goes wrong, 2 it can impact negatively on the player/manager relationship, 3 he may feel the next game Tav may put all this behind him and come good and he's cutting off his nose to spite his face 4 he is the club captain and it may have a negative impact on the team.

I'm not saying I believe those points are true or that's exactly what's happening. The only thing I'm saying is there is a clear difference between Gerrard's favouritism at the beginning and Gerrard's favouritism now - and I think he needs to get a grip and do the right thing because players like Tav are severely letting us down at the moment.

12 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

four times since last December we've went top of the League and on every single occasion we've dropped points the very next game and lost our position

This shows you we do not have the strength of character throughout the whole squad to be winners. I hope I am wrong and it pains me to say it but I cannot see this team under Gerrard winning anything this season. 

I think as fans we go overboard sometimes with one or two performances thinking the player is world class ignoring often his past. For instance Aribo came from league one in England but some of us quickly had him as world class at the start of the season.

We could win the league this year but it will be probably because they throw it away rather than us putting a title winning run together. Yes we have started better but so have they compared to last season and we are faced with 6 of the next 8 games in the league being away from home assuming we get past Hearts in the semi. Now obviously winning the League cup could instil a winning mentality which will translate to title winning form or equally it could lead players to thinking what are people complaining about we won a cup......the exact same mentality a lot of them have when we draw as they are not used to playing for a team expected to win every week.

There is no doubt that Gerrard has a winners mentality however in the dugout he cannot control and change the game as he could when he was playing in the Midfield. Instead we are relying on the likes of Kamara, Ojo, Aribo etc to change the course of the game when its not going our way. Sometimes it happens but sometimes like last year when it really mattered in the big games it did not happen......for instance we have not scored once at Hampden since May 2016 despite playing there 5 times.

13 hours ago, Bears r us said:

It is the manner of how we lost that makes many of us concerned that we are weak in our mentality when we have to win important games. 

Score was 1-1 

Walter Smith by hook or crook would have won that yesterday, he was vastly more experienced at winning of course than most other mangers, but That's the hardest thing to do and Gerrard will always have that mountain to climb, untill he succeeds, it's definitely a worrying trend getting to the top then crashing and burning at the very next hurdle as we seem to do, there is still time thankfully to do something about it, I'd take Tav off the capacity for a start as its too much for him in games like yesterday imo. 

7 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Walter Smith by hook or crook would have won that yesterday, he was vastly more experienced at winning of course than most other mangers, but That's the hardest thing to do and Gerrard will always have that mountain to climb, untill he succeeds, it's definitely a worrying trend getting to the top then crashing and burning at the very next hurdle as we seem to do, there is still time thankfully to do something about it, I'd take Tav off the capacity for a start as its too much for him in games like yesterday imo. 

Walter wouldn’t have took his top scorer off when requiring a goal for the win.

1 hour ago, OhW said:

Score was 1-1 

We dropped two points and lost the top spot on the league, we never approached the game in the right way IMO. 

One shot on target for the whole game was poor and it shows that our players struggle with pressure. 

I hope they prove me wrong and go on and win the cup in December but I am concerned at the moment. 

19 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

Frustrating to see the same thing happen as last season, finally going top then fucking it right away.

Despite that I don't think it's a mentality thing here. We were gash today and Hearts were quite good. We also have a few players that are not good enough, as has been widely opined in other threads.

Pissed off we didn't win but I don't think we have poor mentality.

Fair post mate. Agree with all of this.

Just like to add that I reckon we would have won if we had Kent on from the start and a fully fit Ryan Jack in the side.

30 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

We dropped two points and lost the top spot on the league, we never approached the game in the right way IMO. 

One shot on target for the whole game was poor and it shows that our players struggle with pressure. 

I hope they prove me wrong and go on and win the cup in December but I am concerned at the moment. 

You said we lost. 

Said for the last few seasons we need  someone that takes no crap and for who winning is the only thing. We’ve always had them in the team from when I started watching - JG, Ian Ferguson, Stuart McCall, Butcher, Gough etc.  Ryan Jack is close but needs to up his nasty streak to do it.

You always need a player the hammer throwers respect to give your own flair players some protection. As great a player my hero Willie Henderson was, he had the ultimate backup with John Greig playing behind him.

Gerrard needs to get tougher with the players all the players even the ones he seems to favour however bad they play as those same players will lose him his job.

They will be in the media this week telling us how we are going to win the league.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Fair post mate. Agree with all of this.

Just like to add that I reckon we would have won if we had Kent on from the start and a fully fit Ryan Jack in the side.

If we'd scored a winner late on I think there would be a very different vibe on here, but I suppose that is always true.

1 hour ago, OhW said:

You said we lost. 

I had to go back and read what I posted because I did not realise I had said 'lost', what I think I meant was we 'lost' two points, but I was not obviously paying enough attention to what I wrote.

Thanks for pointing it out old chap. :happy:

PS  it felt as if we had lost I must admit, but that still does not get me out of my mistake. :pipe: 

Archived