Is the manager's job on the line

KingKirk

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Smile said:

Gerrard was a great commercial decision by the board, but he is learning on the job and that's not easy with a supporter base with our expectation and rightly so.

His signings have not helped him, plus 20 months in the job and 20 odd million spent and zero out of five trophies certainly puts pressure on him.

That’s what I thought he would be too but we’ve missed the mark promoting ourselves. 

Gerrard is huge globally and so far we’ve failed to cash in on this. 

11 minutes ago, bornabear said:

What struck me last night was why he had Hagi wide on the right ?. He looked totally lost there and that was the fault of SG.

On what I've seen on videos of this lad and the small time he's been here,  is that he has a quick football brain and is a natural midfield player.  IMO, He and Ryan Jack could work very well together in that area. 

We have got to change the rotten system and playing players out of position that SG  insists upon.

If you're wrong (and he knows he is ) changes have to be made.

I've been saying this to my mates all day. Hagi is a #10 not a winger. Kent is a winger not a #10.  

9 minutes ago, ronniescu said:

Worryingly last night, Killie were over-running our midfield for a large part of the game.

Yeah we were all over the place.

Gerrard rarely makes changes til we’re chasing a game.

Dont understand how we were going to bring Stewart on early doors and then he never came on til 80mins.

I know we were winning but we didn’t play any better after the goal so the change should still have been made 

I suspect we will have to change the manager sooner or later ... he's probably suited to a mid-table team who play good football on their day but don't have the consistency to win anything.

He said a while back he's in this job because he wants to be (in other words he doesn't need the money) so I would hope when it becomes obvious to both sides that it isn't working  he would wave any compensation

21 minutes ago, bornabear said:

What struck me last night was why he had Hagi wide on the right ?. He looked totally lost there and that was the fault of SG.

On what I've seen on videos of this lad and the small time he's been here,  is that he has a quick football brain and is a natural midfield player.  IMO, He and Ryan Jack could work very well together in that area. 

We have got to change the rotten system and playing players out of position that SG  insists upon.

If you're wrong (and he knows he is ) changes have to be made.

Bang on the money.

Another Gerrard fault line in playing players out of position. He then had the audacity to sub him, when he should have moved him inside and took that donkey Aribo off.

Just hope he doesn't stifle and demoralise the lad..

6 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I suspect we will have to change the manager sooner or later ... he's probably suited to a mid-table team who play good football on their day but don't have the consistency to win anything.

He said a while back he's in this job because he wants to be (in other words he doesn't need the money) so I would hope when it becomes obvious to both sides that it isn't working  he would wave any compensation

Rich men don't get rich by turning down gift horses.

IMO he will walk in the summer, but it will be with some compo. There is also the problem of his back room staff who are not cheap and they certainly won't be walking away empty handed.

9 minutes ago, Jb85 said:

Tbf I completely never even gave champions league a second thought. I was on about the league. Can anyone say they’d have won it if Man City were as good as last season. Who knows. 

Even in the league, their record under klopp (not counting his first half season) 

4th, 22,10,6

4th, 21,12,5

2nd,30,7,1

This season 24,1,0

His first full season they also made the europa league final, his 2nd full season they made the CL final, his 3rd full season they won the thing, and this season would anyone bet against them doing a leagur and CL double

What klopp managed to do was identify liverpools weaknesses and address them, the purchase of VVD, allisson, salah, mane, while improving others, 

Gerrard brought in kent, hastie, ojo, jones, barker and doesn't play a system that uses wingers

9 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

IMO he will walk in the summer, but it will be with some compo. There is also the problem of his back room staff who are not cheap and they certainly won't be walking away empty handed.

Did PLG not walk away? 

35 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

No

It’s a longer term project that many of us are not patient enough for  

to answer the question 

Nah, not having that. We've been fed that shite for too long.

I think at this stage (i.e. Gerrard's tenure) with serious money spent and the scum defeated home and away, you can't look at the way this team of softies has fucked up so badly (from a great position) and say "it's a long term project".

This isn't an argument about long term investment - we have OUT PLAYED the champions but can't do the business against teams paid a fucking fraction of what our lot are.  Bottle merchants imo. 

20 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Very true, that's why they're rich.

16 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Nah, not having that. We've been fed that shite for too long.

I think at this stage (i.e. Gerrard's tenure) with serious money spent and the scum defeated home and away, you can't look at the way this team of softies has fucked up so badly (from a great position) and say "it's a long term project".

This isn't an argument about long term investment - we have OUT PLAYED the champions but can't do the business against teams paid a fucking fraction of what our lot are.  Bottle merchants imo. 

You might have been fed that shite but it’s never actually happened having burned through  7 or 8 since our demotion. 

we’ve got to do  something different. Not repeat the same thing every season and a half.  

6 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, but it sounded like our fans were booing Gerrard subbing off Hagi?

If so, that's the beginning of the end of him, in my view, fans are just not happy with his decisions anymore.

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere in this thread or anywhere else on the forum because I've not read much since last night tbh but heard he said after the game that he was wrong to think this squad is capable of challenging for the title.

If that's the case he's probably eyeing up the exit himself saying things like that about his own squad.

6 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

You were right mate ..... it was Stewart they were booing ...... ex player syndrome the usual.

🇬🇧

Ex player (who signed for Rangers) syndrome...

As for Gerrard, he said post match that there is something wrong and it's his job to 'figure out what it is', is truly worrying for us that he doesn't know.

13 minutes ago, SteveEarle said:

As for Gerrard, he said post match that there is something wrong and it's his job to 'figure out what it is', is truly worrying for us that he doesn't know.

Agreed. Every manager in the league now has Gerrard figured out and know how to set up and play against us, his total inability to change things or play a different way to deal with this is what’s costing us.

2 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Agreed. Every manager in the league now has Gerrard figured out and know how to set up and play against us, his total inability to change things or play a different way to deal with this is what’s costing us.

That is nonsense.  We don't have the quality. It's quite simple really. 

If that theory was true that teams have us figured out then surely teams in England would figure out how to play against Liverpool's system aswell.  4-3-3 Salah and Mane cutting inside and full backs providing the width etc 

2 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Nah hes right it was 443 lovenkrands through the middle.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

You might be right about the 4-3-3.  I remember we went to Parkhead with Lovenkrands and Kanchelskis wide and Flo in the middle.  The pace really caused them problems.  

Haha my recollection of it was arveladze and novo wide with prso up top. 

The European results have been different class , all was looking good up until the break , he’s done a good job , annoying me of late though , this isn’t his Liverpool playing era of next season will be ours for 10 seasons , this season is gon unless there’s a minor miracle, the way I feel now if we don’t win the league next season and they get ten it doesn’t matter a fuck what we do the rest of our lifetime the baws burst 

6 minutes ago, gersfc86 said:

That is nonsense.  We don't have the quality. It's quite simple really. 

If that theory was true that teams have us figured out then surely teams in England would figure out how to play against Liverpool's system aswell.  4-3-3 Salah and Mane cutting inside and full backs providing the width etc 

Of course it’s about ability, but that doesn’t mean teams don’t have us figured out. They know how to play against us to exploit our lack of movement and intensity, it wouldn’t work against Liverpool because they have what’s required to beat teams who set up like that. It’s Gerrards job as manager to either train the players to open up teams who play like that or if we don’t have the ability then find another style/ formation. He’s done nothing to change and is doing the same thing game after game and expecting different results.

If the season ends on a whimper I think he might put the feelers out for a job in England. We won’t be able to afford to sack him and he won’t want to have a sacking on his CV this early on either.

The likes of Derby, Leeds and Middlesbrough are all decent sized clubs in the Championship who get good backing from their owners and they might all be looking for a new manager come the Summer and if they are I think he might try and get one of those jobs.

Archived