Rangers coach Beale says title should be decided by halfway-point table

Bad Robot

I thought this deserved a post on its own as it’s the only way we have sporting integrity based on games played should we play our home match against St Johnstone.

I hope the club’s stance re 38 games is just the starting positioning and we negotiate to this position.

I’m also happy that the club know about this scenario should no other games take place over the next few months as this needs to be put out there and on the agenda even to Uefa.

HALF MEASURES Rangers coach Beale says title should be decided by halfway-point table – but would celtic or Gers be champs?

Rangers coach Michael Beale believes the outcome of the Premiership title race should be decided by the standings at the halfway point of the season.

Gersfirst team coach Beale believes the only fair way to crown the champions is to take the total points from the first round of home and away matches between all 12 top-flight teams.

But Beale’s alternative proposal would not make the current picture any clearer, as Rangers still have an outstanding clash with St Johnstoneat Ibrox.

Celticclaimed 58 points from their first 11 home and away matches against each opponent while their Old Firm rivals took 56, having played one game fewer.

Beale said: “Everyone will have a different opinion that is somehow biased by their own club’s situation.

"Maybe each league will give the member clubs a chance to vote on the outcome.

“Unless the leagues can be split in a fair way, a league with less teams like Scotland can decide to not predict into the future – but go back to a point where each team has played each other twice and use that as a fair reference of the teams level over the equal part of the season.

“If the positions are the same as at that point I think it’s a fairer reference point as each team has played each other twice.

"But we must never determine relegation based on a points total where each team has played a different mix of games or opponents and nothing is mathematically decided.

"This would kill all sporting integrity.

“So I believe the different leagues will be sticking close to the rule books and this season will be postponed until later in the year, if not cancelled.

“While this will seem unfair, I’m not sure what else can be done?

A decision is due to be made on Thursday regarding the destiny of the title, but Beale is not expecting to kick another ball this term due to coronavirus.

He said: “Talking about professional sport at this moment is irrelevant in the bigger picture of people’s health and safety.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5398214/Rangers-beale-title-table-halfway/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

"This would kill all sporting integrity.

I'm delighted we are repeatedly mentioning this.

Beat St Johnstone at home in June and that's 9 in a row stopped. Unofficially of course. 😄👍

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Mick should know that's a none starter as they played 1more game at that point.

Who cares, he's just getting the subliminal message out there that the league is not complete, so cannot be awarded to any cunt. 

One other thought:

If celic went bust tomorrow, would the media and the SFA be battling to give us the title ?     Thought not.

2 minutes ago, Amato said:

It's a bit of a daft suggestion but it's not any worse than the idea of announcing them as Champions when they can be caught

Daft?  Why?

Play everyone home and away, all's equal at that point.  

Certainly no worse than any of the other half-baked ideas.

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I consider half way the stop for the winter break at that point we were 2 points behind with a game in hand

See post above re we play the game in hand which could be behind closed doors to reduce the risk 

If the game in hand can’t be played, average points per game has been put out there as an option. Rangers are 2.666 per game and celtic are 2.636. The league will surely be made void but that could be a basis for demanding the champions league spot. 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

If the game in hand can’t be played, average points per game has been put out there as an option. Rangers are 2.666 per game and celtic are 2.636. The league will surely be made void but that could be a basis for demanding the champions league spot. 

We’re talking potentially 10s of £millions so sporting integrity needs to be upheld or as close to it as we can and I see no other argument that comes closer to this suggestion.

18 minutes ago, Amato said:

It's a bit of a daft suggestion but it's not any worse than the idea of announcing them as Champions when they can be caught

I think he was just throwing another unrealistic suggestion into the mix. The real message was about sporting integrity. 

MB's balanced take on the situation make's much more sense .... and is streets ahead fairness wise than the other alternative being bandied about by the pro tarrier media for the benefit of one team ...... love his positive approach and his inclusion of the now jaded "Sporting Integrity" soundbite.

Null and Void ...... as has been rightly stated and agreed on by many ..... is the only other sensible approach ...... as the title .... along with all the monetary benefits it entails  .... cannot be awarded unjustly to anyone unless mathematically conclusive.

🇬🇧

Just now, Bad Robot said:

Why unrealistic ?

That rules can't be bent or altered to fit the situation. I do think his real message was about sporting integrity and I think the club should keep up the good work in getting that message across.

Archived