Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Broxi said:

I think people have jumped on this bandwagon but I would rather sign someone like Mirko Maric. Big tall aerial threat but is actually a talented striker who gets goals. I don't think you'll ever convince me that there's not better value than Lyndon Dykes out there

I’d like to see us sign this boy as well, doubtful he’d come as a back up to Morelos though, think we’ll sign him if Morelos goes 

I've warmed to the idea of signing Dykes, the key question for me is would you rather face him playing for the scum or have him in your squad. 

Any player signing for us or them from a smaller club in this league needs to raise their game up another level or two, like Griffiths has done for them and Novo did for us. Dykes seems to have that same confidence about him.

12 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Exactly. 

Our inabilities to be flexible costs us (amongst some other things)

If you're a wee pish team that likes to sit in, we can be very easy to play against because of this - especially when we've got wingers that seem to cut inside all the time and not use the width/space to stretch these teams, tire them and create wee openings and half-chances. 

The groupings/doubling up and congestion that causes suits them to a tee.

It can be turgid to watch - unless we get an early goal in the first 20-minutes, then it's a different game after that. If we don't get that early goal, more often than not it's a long afternoon.

Totally agree. In many way the “do plan A better” hangover from Warburton persists. There can be no doubt we are better in every way under Gerrard in terms of personnel and style but the inability to change it or adapt to different teams has cost us domestically. It’s why we’ve generally done well in Europe where teams rarely sit in and the pace is slower. Domestically as soon as anyone sits in we immediately go into laboured sideways passing with nobody from the midfield with the talent or desire to run beyond Morelos. Opposition then inevitably score from 25 yards or a poor set play and our crowd are on the teams back for 90 mins. Ineffectual change follows at 80 mins. Sums up a lot of our performances. 

1 hour ago, MarzM said:

If it's true that Livi want £2M for Dykes...then i think that's a no from me. He's not worth that IMO.

2m for a player with very average returns in our league is comedy. It’s no wonder we exploit the cross border transfer rules and sign average English players when those are the kind of fees being touted. 

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Wingers - Kent, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Barker, Murphy and Middleton...

A sackable offence right there.

An absolute farce the shite we signed last summer, Jones Stewart Hastie and Barker are all horrendous signings 

We need to get more goals into this team if we want to win any silverware and especially the league.  Morelos is the only player who starts games who scores on a regular basis. We need 2 more players who start week in week out who can get 12-15 league goals a season.

3 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

We need to get more goals into this team if we want to win any silverware and especially the league.  Morelos is the only player who starts games who scores on a regular basis. We need 2 more players who start week in week out who can get 12-15 league goals a season.

Kent has the ability to be one of those players, don’t think we’re using him properly in this inverted winger/number 10 role 

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Kent has the ability to be one of those players, don’t think we’re using him properly in this inverted winger/number 10 role 

I agree about Kent having the ability. I also think Hagi can chip in with goals too. We probably need 1 more real quality attacking player who can dovetail with those 2 and Morelos.

Just now, STEVEH said:

I agree about Kent having the ability. I also think Hagi can chip in with goals too. We probably need 1 more real quality attacking player who can dovetail with those 2 and Morelos.

Think the problem is we only really play with 3 attacking players, more often than not 3 use at least 2 defensive minded midfielders, we really need to sign a proper right winger and go 4231, this Liverpool system that Gerrard seems obsessed with doesn’t work for us as they have far better forward players and full backs than we do 

I'm fully behind Gerrard but he needs to get the balance of the team right. Far too many square pegs in round holes last season. I think Hagi needs to be deployed centrally in a free role. 

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Think the problem is we only really play with 3 attacking players, more often than not 3 use at least 2 defensive minded midfielders, we really need to sign a proper right winger and go 4231, this Liverpool system that Gerrard seems obsessed with doesn’t work for us as they have far better forward players and full backs than we do 

Spot on mate. 4 3 3 works when you have players like Mane & Salah who can play anywhere across the front 3 and have 2 top class attacking full backs who are effectively wingers.

I agree that 4-2-3-1 is the way to go for us, which is a formation that Gerrard thrived in as a player playing behind Torres.

Any suggestions for a real quality right  winger ?

2 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

That ex bheast manager coming out saying Gerrard  needs more time has got to set alarm bells ringing, he hates us with avengance  

Every time an ex/current tarrier player or manager comes out backing a player or manager of ours, it's because he wants them to stay with us for a very long time. As you say, that should set alarm bells off.

Flip it and you'll have some of ours like Barry Ferguson probably wanting last seasons Scottish Cup played to finish for the good of our game etc.

1 hour ago, STEVEH said:

Spot on mate. 4 3 3 works when you have players like Mane & Salah who can play anywhere across the front 3 and have 2 top class attacking full backs who are effectively wingers.

I agree that 4-2-3-1 is the way to go for us, which is a formation that Gerrard thrived in as a player playing behind Torres.

Any suggestions for a real quality right  winger ?

Not sure mate but hopefully we’re looking in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia rather than more shite from SPFL 

The link to Lyle Taylor is an interesting one. If he was to sign could we see 2 up front (assuming Morelos stays), and if so how do we fit in Hagi & Kent without unbalancing the side?

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I find it hard to get excited about the idea of signing Lyle Taylor at all. Has all the hallmarks of the type of signing we would have made under Mark Warburton.

He’s been great last 2 seasons but bit of a meh career otherwise 

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Wingers - Kent, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Barker, Murphy and Middleton...

A sackable offence right there.

Combined goals from that group? 

Then a midfield of Jack, Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Kamara 

How many goals in there? 

It needs to improve significantly 

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

How many goals in there? 

Spot on. We conceded the same number of goals as celtic last season, but scored 25 less. It's a no brainer where we need to improve.

Just having a look through Transfermarkt at players out of contract this summer. There's a fair few that would be decent additions imo. Obviously the guys at the top are out of our price range but there's definitely a few interesting names further down the list. 

1 that noticed was Amir Dervisivic. Central midfielder that plays for Maribor and if I remember correctly had 2 good games against us last season. 27 years old, 6ft 4. 

2 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

He’s been great last 2 seasons but bit of a meh career otherwise 

That’s what I worry about. He seems to have had a bit of a nomadic career, mainly at a lower level. If he signs, will he be able to deal with the step up and the expectations we place on our players? 

3 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

An absolute farce the shite we signed last summer, Jones Stewart Hastie and Barker are all horrendous signings 

I seen enough in Jones just before he went and got himself injured but totally agree on the rest. Never seen anything in the others, even when playing with their clubs in Scotland before us (Barker did have one good game against us at Easter Road tho if I remember correctly to be fair to him, tore our full-backs to bits for a while but that's it) 

4 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

How many goals in there? 

It's alarming. 

Hate keeping on saying this, but look at the tarriers and the goals they get from those positions from the likes of McGregor and Forrest (and in big games too) then they've Griffiths on the sides who can supplement Eduord .... I know Biton and Rognic have been injured for some of the last year but I'm pretty sure they chip in with their share of goals from midfield/attacking positions too. 

Archived