Aaron's on final mission

Craigy

AARON watched in horror as Tomas Cerny flung out a hand to block his penalty.

Now he wants to be punching the air in joy in front of his family at Hampden on Sunday.

Rangers’ Spanish winger made his first start in the Scottish Cup win over Hamilton last week and grabbed the ball when Kenny Miller was decked by Chris Swailes in the box.

But when the keeper blocked his spot-kick Aaron feared being branded a failure — until ref Iain Brines ordered a retake because Cerny had stepped off his line.

He didn’t make the same mistake with his second chance.

He said: “When the referee whistled for the penalty I immediately thought I could take it.

“I had the confidence to do it so I asked Kenny Miller if he would let me.

“He normally takes the penalties but thankfully he left this one to me and I’m so grateful.

“It was a very special thing for one of the most important players in the team to do.

“But when I shot and the keeper stopped it I felt like the sky was about to fall in on me.

“I had seen the goalkeeper move beforehand and it did confuse me. When I came to take it again I was desperate to show it had been a one-off.

“I wanted to show that the pressure wouldn’t get to me so I was more careful.”

Rangers went on to fire five past Hamilton to reach the semis.

Now another crunch cup clash looms with the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final against Celtic three days away.

Aaron, 19, would love to get a chance to showcase his skills at Hampden, especially as his parents and girlfriend are jetting into town.

He said: “I’ve never played in a game like that. To play in a final is the ultimate thing in football and even more so when it is against your closest rival. We have to win it!

“If I play I’ll be even happier because my parents and girlfriend have come to see me play.

“It’s my opportunity and it’s such an important final between two massive teams in Celtic and Rangers.

“I hope to play some minutes like in the last games but the really important thing is that the team wins the final.

“At this point in time this is the most important trophy because it is the next we play for.”

But Aaron will never forget his full Rangers bow. He said: “I’ve always said our coach is using me in a very good way.

“I overcame a period of adjustment and now I’m helping the team.

“When I was told I was in the lineup for the Scottish Cup I was calm and knew that I was going to do things well.

“It helped me to think about the confidence my teammates have given me during training and whenever I have played in previous games.

“I knew it was my moment and wanted to take advantage of it.”

Aaron running at Hinkel or Naylor would be joy.

Hope Smith give him a go.

Would he get the chance to run at them if selected though? It is very probable that he would be told to play cautiously and concentrate on not losing possession rather than going and attacking the Celtic defence. Much like the role John Fleck was forced into at Parkhead.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see him start and have no doubts that in full flow he could rip Hinkel to shreds, but i fear that he will be dropped for a more "disciplined" player.

Would he get the chance to run at them if selected though? It is very probable that he would be told to play cautiously and concentrate on not losing possession rather than going and attacking the Celtic defence. Much like the role John Fleck was forced into at Parkhead.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see him start and have no doubts that in full flow he could rip Hinkel to shreds, but i fear that he will either be dropped for a more "disciplined" player.

If the players go out with that mindset, we'll lose.

It's a Cup Final, we need to set out to win.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see him start and have no doubts that in full flow he could rip Hinkel to shreds, but i fear that he will either be dropped for a more "disciplined" player.

Of course we do, i only hope that McCoist will allow his team to be more creative and forward-thinking than Smith.

Of course we do, i only hope that McCoist will allow his team to be more creative and forward-thinking than Smith.

Is it Ally's team for Sunday then, has that been confirmed?

I thought he disappeared too much against Hamilton, kinda like Fleck does at times. Maybe Walter is right giving them the less risky games for now, because the experienced better players in the top 4 or 5 teams would see them out.

I know it looks brilliant on paper to put Aaron on the right, and Fleck on the left against that mob on Sunday but I'm sure he won't. Beasley would come in first.

Is it Ally's team for Sunday then, has that been confirmed?

I would assume so mate, he has been in charge of every cup game in the last two seasons so i don't expect that to change now.

I thought he disappeared too much against Hamilton, kinda like Fleck does at times. Maybe Walter is right giving them the less risky games for now, because the experienced better players in the top 4 or 5 teams would see them out.

I know it looks brilliant on paper to put Aaron on the right, and Fleck on the left against that mob on Sunday but I'm sure he won't. Beasley would come in first.

Aaron does strike me as a big-game player though.

He wasn't absolutely outstanding during the 2007 UEFA U-19 European Championships, but he was brilliant in the semis and the final against Greece.

I think he's worth a shout to be honest J, but I understand where you (and Lee) are coming from. If we're going to be cautious, I wouldn't waste him.

how many sub's are we aloud in the cis if it is only 3 he won't even get on the bench walter will take the negative approach and put more experienced guys on the bench like mcculloch and whittaker and hopefully novo if it is 5 subs we might get aaron or fleck but i don't think we'll get both sadly

Put it this way I dont think Aaron will need his boots cleaned come Saturday Evening.

Walters a shitebag, I dont see Aaron even making a sub appearance.

Although it has been known in the past for me to be wrong about these things...

how many sub's are we aloud in the cis if it is only 3 he won't even get on the bench walter will take the negative approach and put more experienced guys on the bench like mcculloch and whittaker and hopefully novo if it is 5 subs we might get aaron or fleck but i don't think we'll get both sadly

5. The 3 sub thing was done away with years ago.

Was that after Leighton got Injured and Aberdeen had to put robbie winters in goal? Scottich cup final vs us can't remember the exact date, 2001 (?)