Barry Ferguson in talks with Birmingham

WALTER Smith last night dropped a heavy hint that Barry Ferguson will leave Ibrox this summer - because the former skipper will be entering the last year of his contract.

Ferguson and keeper Allan McGregor were suspended by the Rangers manager in the wake of the Scotland Boozegate fiasco in April but were reinstated to the squad as the season reached its climax.

But while the keeper faces a fight for the gloves with Neil Alexander next term, he is tied to a long-term deal that will keep him at Rangers.

Ferguson's contractual situation is different and Rangers will look to cash in on the player rather than see him leave for nothing on a Bosman next June.

The club's financial situation means the midfielder would be offered only a fraction of his current deal to stay and it's unlikely he would take such a dramatic drop in wages.

That makes a parting of the ways inevitable this summer, with West Brom having made the first approach to prise the player from Ibrox.

Smith said: "Barry has a year on his contract to go. Bearing in mind the club's financial situation that puts him in a different category to Allan.

Shame "I could say he will be here for another year but that might not be what he wants if he gets the chance to go elsewhere at a time when his contract is winding down. It may suit both parties for that to happen.

"Allan has a few more years on his deal so his situation is different."

Smith believes both players will have to deal with the Boozegate shame for the rest of their lives and it was this realisation that made him commute what had effectively been a life ban on playing for the club again.

He said: "The action I took was what I thought was right. As time goes on, I realise both these players are going to have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives, never mind the rest of their careers.

"That will be an ongoing image both of them have to handle. They have suffered for something that was not the right thing to do and did not portray the right image.

"However, there are a lot of people who do a lot worse without maybe having to suffer in the way they did.

"They have had the opportunity to come back into the team. In Allan's case it is purely a football situation. He was banned and Neil Alexander came in and played very well so it was difficult for him to get back in.

"In Barry's case, he got an injury but has come on as a substitute in the last two games."

http://www.<No links to this website>/2009/05/26/ba...86908-21389379/

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I think it would be in everyone's best interests if Barry went. He's going out a winner and even though i'm not his biggest fan he deserves that

My sentiments exactly (tu)

It was an excellent touch when Weir and the managament allowed him to co-lift the cup, and that will probably be repeated this weekend when we win the Scottish Cup.

Definitely the right time for him to go, there is no room for him in the team no and he is not performing at the level that warrants altering the team. He has been one of my favourite players but I think it is time he was leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Eck Mcleish with some interesting comments

Alex McLeish is being linked with a move for the former Ibrox skipper as he prepares for life in the Premier League.

"You definitely have to play a style suited to your squad. If you don’t have guys who are naturally good on the ball then you must adapt tactics to suit them," the Blues boss told The Birmingham Mail.

"I’m delighted the board backed me in going for (striker Christian) Benitez as he will give us something extra up front but we need more quality in midfield.

“Barry Ferguson is the type we’d like given that he’s a guy who takes the ball and isn’t fazed wherever he goes – and I needed players like that in the Scotland set-up."

With just one year left on his Rangers contract, Ferguson and the club are expected to cut their ties this summer.

I would love Barry to go down and be a major hit... and leave some people on this board with egg on their faces!

Not me. He quite possibly could do it for another club. But not Rangers.

A bit like Arteta - he could have stayed at Ibrox for a million years and not produced what he did in England.

ALEX McLEISH could pinch Barry Ferguson from under West Brom's noses after admitting the deposed Rangers captain is exactly what he's looking for at Birmingham City.

Ferguson, who captained both Rangers and Scotland under McLeish, looks certain to leave Ibrox this summer after being fined, suspended and stripped of the captaincy for his part in the infamous Boozegate scandal.

His situation alerted West Brom who are reported to have lined-up a s1 million bid for the 31-year-old.

But with Baggies manager Tony Mowbray looking likely to head north to take over at celtic, Birmingham boss McLeish could take advantage to land a player who he has always held in high regard.

In the past week McLeish broke City's transfer record to land Ecuador striker Christian Benitez.

And he says he wants to follow that up with the signing of a quality midfielder as the Blues prepare for their return to the top flight of English football.

McLeish said: "You definitely have to play a style suited to your squad. If you don't have guys who are naturally good on the ball then you must adapt tactics to suit them.

"Barry Ferguson is the type we'd like given that he's a guy who takes the ball and isn't fazed wherever he goes - and I needed players like that in the Scotland set-up."

http://www.<No links to this website>/2009/06/09/bi...86908-21427518/

This would be a really good move for Barry if it happened and we certainly want to move him on (tu) Thanks a lot Eck!