Celtic Approach Roberto Martinez

over-rated at this stage in his career, good prospect though.

If it were us I'd prefer someone with more of a track record, he's only managed one club albeit he's done well there it doesn't prove anything about him.

He also prefers technical ability over physical prowess and that's not a great thing for the SPL (thinking PLG here)

That's just looking at as many negatives as I can find though, he'd have a lot to prove but that's not to say he wouldn't be a success you can't go too far wrong at either of the old firm, unless you are PLG or John Barnes of course.

over-rated at this stage in his career, good prospect though.

If it were us I'd prefer someone with more of a track record, he's only managed one club albeit he's done well there it doesn't prove anything about him.He also prefers technical ability over physical prowess and that's not a great thing for the SPL (thinking PLG here)

That's just looking at as many negatives as I can find though, he'd have a lot to prove but that's not to say he wouldn't be a success you can't go too far wrong at either of the old firm, unless you are PLG or John Barnes of course.

Good point,Billy Davies has done it with both Preston and Derby and next season will tell a tale with Forest, he was a victim of his own success getting Derby to the EPL they would have struggled with SAF in charge, one to keep an eye on.

I started a thread about him, and, his managerial ways last year, and, how much I admired him. I hope he does not end up at celtc.

I saw Hoddle on the back of one of the rhags today; how I pissed myself laughing at them even been mentioned in the same breath as him, how I'd love that big useless bastard to be appointed as the new manager of celtc!

Was reading this and thought I'd pop in here:

Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez has revealed he would be interested in becoming Celtic's new manager.

Martinez appears to have become Celtic's top target to replace Gordon Strachan and the Bhoys have made an approach for the Spaniard.

Championship side Swansea rejected the request and remain hopeful that Martinez will stay at Liberty Stadium.

However, Martinez has suggested it would be difficult to pass up the opportunity to succeed Strachan at Parkhead.

Ambition

"Managing Celtic is one of the top jobs in European football.," Martinez told the Glasgow Evening Times.

"Any young aspiring manager with ambition would be interested in a job like that.

"It gives you the chance of being involved in Champions League football and the opportunity of silverware every season."

Martinez, who has also been linked with former club Wigan Athletic and Real Sociedad, has impressed during his two years in charge of Swansea.

And, despite Huw Jenkins' desire to keep him in South Wales, Martinez is optimistic the Swansea chairman will allow him to move on.

"Everything has to be sorted with Swansea first," he added.

"I have an agreement in place with the Swansea chairman as to what would happen and I'd want that to be honoured."

http://eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2511935.0.0.php

Don't believe everything you read in Newspapers lads. Given Martinez' nature and the integrity that has come through in every interview he's ever given you think he would have expressed an interest, while on holiday, after having just signed a player, for another club while under contract after saying before that he would have to be forced out of Swansea as a manager like he was as a player?

Those quotes are so out of his character that article is bloody hilarious.

If Bruce goes to Scumderland (which it looks like), would Martinez not be tempted by a move to the Premiership, and, a club where he played over 200 games for - Wigan?

CELTIC'S hunt for a new boss has suffered a fresh setback with Roberto Martinez set to snub the Hoops for Wigan.

The Spaniard will fly back to Britain to sign a bumper contract at the JJB Stadium.

He'll double his money with a £900,000-a-year deal after Latics chairman Dave Whelan agreed a £2.5million compensation package with Swansea City.

But Martinez's decision to head to the English Premier League is a major blow for Celts as they chase Gordon Strachan's successor.

Hoops supremo Peter Lawwell and academy chief John Park pinpointed the 35-year-old as one of Europe's most promising young coaches.

They hoped to discuss a lucrative switch to Parkhead today and believed Martinez could be persuaded to head for the SPL.

He attended two games at Celtic Park towards the end of last season and was rated highly within the corridors of power.

But after lengthy discussions with his family during a sunshine holiday on Ibiza, the former Motherwell star looks to have opted for Wigan.

Martinez starred for six seasons as a player at Wigan from 1995 to 2001 and is a hero to the fans.

Chairman Whelan moved quickly for his No1 target after losing boss Steve Bruce and No2 Eric Black to Sunderland.

He said: "Martinez's success at Swansea is certainly no surprise to me.

"He is a gentleman and he was a quality footballer when he played for Wigan.

"I liked the way he conducted himself then and now."

Burnley boss Owen Coyle remains on Celts' radar as they chase a successor to Strachan.

The lifelong Hoops fan, 42, has yet to sign the lucrative contract extension offered by the Clarets.

And Celtic sources believe there is still a chance he'll declare his interest in the Parkhead vacancy.

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray hasn't been ruled out, with Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace understood to be prepared to lower his compensation demands.

It had been claimed that he wanted £1.6m, but the real figure could be as little as £850,000.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2461714.ece

Looks like your right Muff.

It does make sense for Martinez to go to Wigan, they actually have a semi-decent side, and he'll at least get some money to play with, something he wouldn't be guaranteed with the Scum.

As for Adams, please let this be true! He would collapse like a house of cards the first Old Firm game!

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has made Swansea manager Roberto Martinez his leading target to replace Steve Bruce.

Bruce parted company with the Latics on Wednesday to take over as the new Sunderland manager having moved to the JJB Stadium from Birmingham in November 2007.

Whelan has already set the wheels in motion to find a replacement, with former Wigan favourite Martinez, one of the club's famed 'Three Amigos', at the top of his hit-list.

The Latics supremo has approached Swansea counterpart Huw Jenkins for permission to speak with Martinez, but the Welsh club have so far refused as they are not happy with the compensation package on offer.

Number one choice

Whelan told Sky Sports News: "I have asked for permission to talk to Roberto Martinez.

"Until I get that permission, I can't talk to him. Once the Swansea chairman says to me I've got permission, I will talk to him. If he tells me I've not got permission, I can't talk to him and we will look elsewhere.

"I have got great hopes that I can get Roberto Martinez back to Wigan. He is my number one choice, but I've not got permission to talk to him.

"I need permission from the Swansea chairman before I can even say 'hello' to Roberto."

Fantastic

Whelan went on to pay tribute to Bruce after his second stint at the helm of Wigan and bears no grudges over his departure for the Black Cats.

He added: "I would like to say thank-you to Steve. He has done a fantastic job for Wigan. We are sorry to lose him and we wish him every success at the Stadium of Light.

"If people want to leave my club, it's a free world and they have to be allowed to do that. He's done a brilliant job for Wigan and now we've got to move on and get a new manager.

"He's a great manager and he'll do a fantastic job for Sunderland."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5361721,00.html