Michael Owen Signs For Man Utd

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a player like Michael Chopra goes for 4m then getting Owen on a free is good buisness.

Remember the Larsson deal? Owen will most likely have the same role in the team as him (if he is signed ofc).

I think it's a great punt.

The fact that he managed to score for that god-awful mob last year would suggest that he's still got something to offer.

He'll get a hat-full of chances at MU, i can see him scoring for fun to be honest.

I'd say its all down to him staying injury free, if he can i think he'll be a success.

It's quite bizarre really, in his Liverpool and Real Madrid Owen was an unquestionably world class striker with a frightening return. Newcastle was a mistake and his desperate escape route out of Madrid, who despite Owen's superb strike rate, were rarely starting him and using him mostly as a sub.

He's had injury problems at Newcastle, but so did Jonathan Woodgate and now he's as fit as a fiddle and was so most of last season iirc.

Anyway, Owen is only 29 and one the most natural goal getters of his generation - if he can stay fit he's as effective as any striker in the league, and I hope it works out at Man Utd if he ends up there.

IMO, this 'gamble' will pay off.

There's something about Newcastle that is just a graveyard for quality footballers careers, injuries and loss of form always seems to occur to big name players they sign but when some players leave them they re-discover themselves. I think Owen will do just that.

not good enough anymore. Who is gonna supply him with all these chances with Ronaldo gone?

If I am correct I think Ronaldo only made about 11 assists all season.

Valencia stats in terms of crosses and chance creation is alot higher than what Ronaldo's was. Also you have one the best creative midfielders in the world in Michael Carrick. So there are plenty of ways Michael Owen can be supplied.

Page last updated at 11:04 GMT, Friday, 3 July 2009 12:04 UK

Michael Owen is at Manchester United's Carrington training ground ahead of a medical with a view to signing for the Premier League champions.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker is out of contract at Newcastle and looks set to be Man Utd's second summer signing after Antonio Valencia.

Owen, 29, has been linked with Everton, Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull but now looks set for the Old Trafford club.

"We don't comment on transfer rumours," a Red Devils spokesman told BBC Sport.

Owen had checks on ongoing knee problems in London on Thursday and will undergo a full medical at a private south Manchester hospital later on Friday.

The England striker has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons, suffering with groin, ankle, thigh, hernia, metatarsal and knee ligament problems.

The 2001 European footballer of the year has dropped out of the England squad, but a potential move to the Premier League champions would give Owen the chance to revitalise his career.

I just question the injury scenario

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce

"He has already completed one test on his knee and should he come through Friday's test he'll sign on a free transfer," BBC Radio 5 Live's Juliette Ferrington reported from Manchester.

"Contract talks continued late into the night. It would represent a major turnaround for the England striker who has been hampered by injury problems.

"Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been a long time admirer of Michael Owen and it looks like he has made his move."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8131801.stm

I'm not a fan of Michael Owen lately. Maybe if he gets his confidence back he might do a job for a Man U team that will undoubtedly create chances for him but i think if Owen is the only striker they sign this summer after losing Tevez and Ronaldo then the fans won't be happy. They still need a world class finisher imo but im sure SAF knows exactly what he is doing.

Michael Owen has arrived at Manchester United's Carrington training ground to undergo a full medical before completing his shock move to Old Trafford.

The striker has left Newcastle after his reported £120,000-a-week contract expired on Wednesday and he is now looking for a new club.

Hull City and Stoke had sounded their interest in the former Liverpool star, but Premier League champions United appear to have sensationally won the race for his signature.

Despite being a free signing, the move would represent a gamble for Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson given Owen's struggles with injuries throughout his career.

But reports suggest the 29-year-old successfully underwent an initial assessment on his troublesome knee on Thursday and has now travelled to Manchester to undergo an overall medical.

Solution

United have yet to officially comment on the story, but it is expected that Owen will become a Red Devils player before the weekend.

Ferguson is keen for attacking reinforcements after losing Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez this summer and Owen's proven goalscoring record is thought to be viewed as a solution.

Karim Benzema was United's primary target, but Real Madrid have had a big-money offer accepted for the Lyon striker and the Red Devils have therefore been forced to look elsewhere.

Owen's move is unlikely to go down well with Liverpool supporters after the striker spent eight years with the Reds having started his career at Anfield.

The 89-time England cap then moved to Real for one season in 2004 before joining Newcastle on a four-year deal.

from sky sports website (tu)

YAY, let's get Valencia for Ronaldo and Owen for Tevez. SAF is a GENIUS.

Im guessing that your mocking one of the greatest managesr thats ever been in the game.

SAF has done things people have questioned before, but he nearly always gets it right.

He rarely got any service at Newcastle, but still managed nearly a goal every 2 games. Man Utd will get him service and he will score goals.

I dont see the risk anyway. He's free. I dont think he'll be first choice centre forward. Cheap wages (In EPL terms anyway).

If its not working out they can bung him out on loan somewhere.