ESPN launch UK channel

chris182

Remember asking people to pay £9 for scottish football and a few 2nd tier premiership games has been done.......i just have a bad feeling about this channel and hope we don't get involved.

I am fairly sick of the premiership and would rather watch spannish or other european football. Finally lets hope ESPN have a decent signal, unlike setanta so a cloud in the sky doesn't mean a large amount of us miss the game

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all sounds a bit off to me.

I can't see there being a mad rush to buy into the channel at that price. Fair enough up to a fiver but for what is paid to Sky already and then another tenner for a far inferior product just seems insane.

Well, maybe. We shall see I guess.

It just means they will need fewer people to sign up than Setanta did to break even. I mean for example how many people would actually have signed up to SS for the PGA Tour? Hardly any I'd imagine and the golf and football demographics are about as far apart as you can get in sport I would guess. I don't think SS needed the extra crap, people only care about the SPL and English football enough to actually pay a monthly fee wouldn't you say?

Where the hell do some of you guys get the idea that ESPN never cover football? They have had CL coverage for years and also have shown live football from around the world for years now.

Surely they buy that coverage not produce it on there own as they would need to with spl games…..

Dunno mate but it says sky are going to produce it so it should be sky cameras at the grounds and sky quality coverage. So no more not being able to see a game cause the camera is covered in rain!

Well, maybe. We shall see I guess.

It just means they will need fewer people to sign up than Setanta did to break even. I mean for example how many people would actually have signed up to SS for the PGA Tour? Hardly any I'd imagine and the golf and football markets are about as far apart as you can get in sport I think. I don't think SS needed the extra crap, people only care about the SPL and English football enough to actually pay a monthly fee wouldn't you say?

Far from it, a lot of people bought into it for the fact they also had more boxing, more golf and were pretty mcuh running solo with big UFC events!!!

Yeah UFC was a big thing for them as well I guess. It's just the PGA and things cost them a lot of money to get, and I bet the boxing did too. Maybe if they didn't bid for these things they would have had far lower subscriber targets.... i'm fairly sure the ESPN directors would have crunched the numbers given what we know about the collapse of SS, but I'm no expert :anguish:

Where the hell do some of you guys get the idea that ESPN never cover football? They have had CL coverage for years and also have shown live football from around the world for years now.

Surely they buy that coverage not produce it on there own as they would need to with spl games…..

Dunno mate but it says sky are going to produce it so it should be sky cameras at the grounds and sky quality coverage. So no more not being able to see a game cause the camera is covered in rain!

For the EPL games mate...no doubt we will be the poor relations again....will wait and see. I am being very cynical here i know but i would just have preffered Sky doing this on there own(as far as the SPL go)

Remember asking people to pay £9 for scottish football and a few 2nd tier premiership games has been done.......i just have a bad feeling about this channel and hope we don't get involved.

I am fairly sick of the premiership and would rather watch spannish or other european football. Finally lets hope ESPN have a decent signal, unlike setanta so a cloud in the sky doesn't mean a large amount of us miss the game

The problem with Setanta was it was transmitted via a different satellite, ESPN should go on the Sky Satellite.

Yeah UFC was a big thing for them as well I guess. It's just the PGA and things cost them a lot of money to get, and I bet the boxing did too. Maybe if they didn't bid for these things they would have had far lower subscriber targets.... i'm fairly sure the ESPN directors would have crunched the numbers given what we know about the collapse of SS, but I'm no expert :anguish:

As far as Im aware m8 the contracts they had for boxing and UFC were like less than 1% each of their total spending on programming.

What does this mean for freeview customers?

Dunno mate. I'm wondering if I'll get it free as part of my BT Vision package, like I did with Setanta.

Bummer :( here in Canada,the CRTC (government dept.)refuses Cable and satellite companies permission to offer ESPN to it's customers. <cr>

We can only watch ESPN,when Canadian sports stations TSN,and Sportsnet get permission.Hopefully one of them will deal with ESPN.

Fingers cross.

thts a bit steep havin to pay another 9 quid on top of wat ur payin for sky sports

its the same as last season with setanta if you are a sky subscriber

is this not for only the one channel but?

I reckon this will be the start for ESPN, they will use this to build a base for when the rights to the Premiership come back up & then chase more packages to broaden their appeal.

It all sounds a bit off to me.

I can't see there being a mad rush to buy into the channel at that price. Fair enough up to a fiver but for what is paid to Sky already and then another tenner for a far inferior product just seems insane.

but if true you will be purchasing ;) trust me