Jerome Rothen signs for Rangers

BLUEDIGNITY

I'm not all that worried about the CB position. We have a strong pairing in Bougherra and Weir and a number of willing and competent deputies (Wilson, Papac, McCulloch, Edu and Broadfoot). I really thought wingers were more of a priority.

Worst comes to worst, Weir crocked and Boogie suspended for the last game away to Seville where we need a point to get through.

Whittaker - Broadfoot/Lee/Edu/Wilson - Papac - S. Smith

Not the defence that I'd want to have to hold them out imo.

Admittedly the worst case scenario is pretty daunting and, that considered, I think it's a bold move by Rangers to attempt to add some quality - rather than simply plugging the gaps. It could backfire or it could be an inspired piece of business.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worst comes to worst, Weir crocked and Boogie suspended for the last game away to Seville where we need a point to get through.

Admittedly the worst case scenario is pretty daunting and, that considered, I think it's a bold move by Rangers to attempt to add some quality - rather than simply plugging the gaps. It could backfire or it could be an inspired piece of business.

Don't see why we can't do both. If we've got the cash to pay Rothen, then we should have the cash for a stop-gap CB. It's not as if we'er asking for Cannavaro or Puyol to come in, most of us would be happy with someone like Barr, Goncalves or even Bamba.

Club career history

Caen (France), Troyes (France), AS Monaco (France), PSG (France), Glasgow Rangers (Champions)

Honours

2003 Confederations Cup winner (France)
2003 League Cup winner (Monaco)
2004 Champions League Finals (Monaco)
2004 Finaliste du Trophée des champions (Paris-SG)

Biography

Jérôme Rothen (born March 31, 1978 in Paris) is a French footballer, who plays as a left-winger for Paris St-Germain.

Rothen was one of the stars of the Monaco side that reached the final of the Champions League in May 2004. A native of Paris, he fulfilled a childhood dream when he signed for the capital side later that summer. His other two previous clubs were SM Caen and Troyes AC.

Rothen has won seven caps for the French national team and was a member of their squad at Euro 2004, where he made a brief substitute appearance in their defeat by Greece in the quarter-finals.

On October 8, 2008, Jérôme Rothen published his autobiography, 'You're Not Going To Believe Me.' The book has generated significant attention in the media, notably for its description of an incident concerning Zinédine Zidane, his former teammate in the France national team.

According to Rothen, the incident occurred during the second leg of Monaco's 2004 Champions League quarter-final win over Real Madrid. Monaco had overturned a 4-2 first leg deficit, and were 3-1 up with seconds left to play when Zidane tackled Rothen from behind. "It was a foul and I went down, admittedly I made a bit more of it, but anyone would have done the same, as we were trying to buy some seconds," Rothen wrote. "Zidane leant over me and said: 'Get up, you son of a bitch.'"

The expression Rothen claims Zidane used, 'fils de pute', is a variation on what Marco Materazzi is alleged to have said to Zidane before the head-butt that proved the iconic moment of the 2006 World Cup final. "I was surprised but put it down to his frustration, and I expected him to apologise at the end of the game, but he said nothing," Rothen continued. "I thought the next time we saw each other with the France team he would say sorry, and then it would be forgotten, but he didn't and that disappointed me."

In a subsequent interview with the French newspaper L'Equipe, Rothen stated he did not intend to smear Zidane's image by publicising the incident. He also denies having received pressure from the latter's camp to remove the offending passage, as had been reported in the press.

Pictures

JeromeRothen.jpg
Jerome with Ruud Van Nistelrooy

jerome-rothen-psg-2009.jpg
In action for PSG

rothen-lequipe-mag-27-09-2008.png
Posing for L'Equipe

rothen245kmh2.jpg
Madman

rothen1024.jpg
In action for Les Blues

Don't see why we can't do both. If we've got the cash to pay Rothen, then we should have the cash for a stop-gap CB. It's not as if we'er asking for Cannavaro or Puyol to come in, most of us would be happy with someone like Barr, Goncalves or even Bamba.

That would be an ideal situation, we can only hope Rangers shock us all in the next five hours and do another bit of business. It seems as though we've got everyone working on Jerome so it'd be an exceptional effort on behalf of our management if we could finished another round of negotiations in that time.