Press say Thomson and Naismith start

Boab

WALTER SMITH is set to hand Kevin Thomson and Steven Naismith starting slots as Rangers kick-off their Champions League campaign here tomorrow night.

The Gers manager is preparing to make some changes to the starting line-up and formation for the Group G encounter against Stuttgart in the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

And it means both Thomson and Naismith - who were on the bench at the weekend as the Ibrox side drew 0-0 with Motherwell at Fir Park - will come straight into the starting line-up.

Rangers arranged a closed door match with Morton at Murray Park yesterday to give Thomson some game time ahead of tomorrow's showdown with the Germans, after three weeks without a top team appearance.

The midfielder was sent-off in his one and only league start this term away to Hearts, and was suspended for the home game with Hamilton Accies.

He then had a free weekend when Scotland faced Macedonia and was unused at Motherwell on Saturday.

But he played against Morton in a 3-1 victory and was joined by Nacho Novo - who netted a hat-trick - and John Fleck. Now Thommo is now in line to slot straight into the middle of the park.

A Rangers insider revealed: "He didn't play the full 90 minutes but he managed to come through it without any problems."

Smith will revert to his tried and tested 4-5-1 formation which he prefers to go with in European fixtures away from home.

It means new signing Jerome Rothen is likely to drop back to the bench to allow Naismith to operate wide on the left with a view to getting as close to Kenny Miller as possible when Rangers are attacking.

Kris Boyd is the second player that should find himself out of the starting line-up as Thomson is thrown into a three-man central midfield alongside Lee McCulloch and Pedro Mendes.

And McCulloch could be handed a key role as the player designated to man-mark Stuttgart playmaker Alexander Hleb, providing the Belarussian midfielder recovers from a knock that threatens to keep him out of the showdown.

Gers boss Smith said: "When you are operating in the Champions League you expect every game to be a difficult one. Stuttgart are a top side who have performed consistently well in the Bundesliga for quite some time.

"But you want to be playing in the Champions League and everyone connected with Rangers is looking forward to this campaign immensely."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...get_the_nod.php

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mculloch to man mark Hleb...:anguish:

The sooner Edu is back the better, got a bad feeling Big Lee will be reponsible for giving away far too many fouls.

Although to be fair he is the type of player to maybye grab a goal at this level and he has had plenty of experience.

I've got afeeling we might sneak a draw here.

And McCulloch could be handed a key role as the player designated to man-mark and kick Stuttgart playmaker Alexander Hleb, providing the Belarussian midfielder recovers from a knock that threatens to keep him out of the showdown.

Drop McCulloch, move Davis in one, put Novo on the right, and I'd be happy with that. :)

Even that (tu)

The best form of defence is attack, or is it the other way round :lol:

the best form of defence is to defend sit at the edge of you box for 90 mins and defend for your lives then run up the park and score

Copyright W Smith (2007/08)

Drop McCulloch, move Davis in one, put Novo on the right, and I'd be happy with that. :)

makes so much sense, getting more from davis in his natural position and novo seems to give that little bit more on european nights i like the sound of it BBS

I'd rather see Davis inside replacing McCulloch and Naismith coming in off the right with Rothen on the left.

I could see that, def.

Dont think Hleb will play, and, even if he does he wont be 100%

Why do people worry about individuals? Messi was going to destroy Broadfoot when we played 2 years ago, and, didnt happen

I still wouldn't read too much into this anyway. There may be a couple of surprises when the line-up is introduced.

I wish Edu was back, i just don't feel comfortable with McCulloch in that holding role against that kind of opposition :(

Mculloch to man mark Hleb...:anguish:

The sooner Edu is back the better, got a bad feeling Big Lee will be reponsible for giving away far too many fouls.

Although to be fair he is the type of player to maybye grab a goal at this level and he has had plenty of experience.

I've got afeeling we might sneak a draw here.

McCulloch never gets near an opponent to man mark; he lives in a world of his own on the pitch and lets the ball, the opponent and the game bypass him.

I would also be wary of the article as smith often misleads the press before big games…..

You're right.

I think we might see Charlie Adam on the left, Namouchi behind Kenny Miller and Hemdani come in for his first game of the season! :pipe:

I have to disagree with most people, I completely understand Smiths decision to drop Rothen. He's not even played a full match with us so still needs time to gel with team mates. Also, he looked somewhat of the pace on saturday.

I think there is a case for moving Davis inside, and bringin Novo in for big Lee. However, I think Walter is simply going for the most defensive starting line-up possible, and even though Davis is somewhat wasted on the RW, he definitely gives really good defensive cover.

Would much rather be seeing Edu in where McCulloch is though.