Our youngsters

Tumshie

Maybe someone can enlighten me. Had a arguement with my mate about this after the game on Tues night. I'm in favour of bringing some young players with my arguement being that they can't be any worse than the likes of McCulloch. Just wondering if anyone watches the reserves/under 19s on a regular basis. How highly do you rate the likes of Wilson, Ness, Fleck, Shinnie, Loy etc

I think some of the reserve-squad youth have a great deal of potential (most of whom came to our attention during the 19's league/cup double season - e.g. Fleck). The current batch of under 19's aren't anything special as far as I can tell, they were completely played off the park in the Youth Cup Final by the Hibs team - of whom only six were considered to be good enough for progression to the Hibs reserves.

Saw quite a bit of the likes of, Danny Wilson, Jamie Ness, Gregg Wylde, John Fleck, Rory Loy, Andrew Shinnie....when I used to go to the youth/reserve games.

Heard a lot of good things about Andrew Shinnie last season - don't know if he's injured, but he had a very good season in the 1st division, and tbh, there aint much of a step up, especially when you see the likes of Falkirk, Hamilton, St. Mirren....and compare them to the likes of Dundee, Livingston, ICT....

Always been impressed with Danny Wilson, he's performed at every level to a high standard, and he's also impressed when on international duty. Said this a year or so ago on here, but he reminds me of a young, up and coming Christian Chivu - in that I don't mean as good, or is going to be as good, but the similiarities are there, IMO :) He needs to bulk up a bit, as he can be a bit lightweight at times.

Make what you wish of John Fleck? He's not impressed me, but I thought he had a good game yesterday, and needs more games. Certainly a better option than some of our current 1st team players.

Gregg Wylde is another player I like the look of. Can play either left back or left midfield - I prefer him in midfield. He has pace to burn, can beat a man, deliver a ball, and his distribution is pretty crisp. He also has the energy needed, and because he's played at left back, has the ability to defend. Again, still a little lightweight, not a dig, but he's still a bit behind in that area.

Jordan McMillan impressed me at both RB, and CB at a young age, but I have not seen him in a bit.

Alan Lowing has never impressed me, and IMO, will never make the grade at Rangers.

Jamie Ness is also a player who can't be too far away from getting a chance, especially at this moment in time. Tall, strong, a bit of pace....he likes to get on the ball, and look for openings. He's been on the bench before, so like I said above, can't be too far away.

I just wish we played our youth players in their natural positions. I don't want our youth players to be jack-of-all trades masters of fuck all. Play Fleck in centre midfield, play Little up front etc

Yes, but WS will never play them except in emergencies.

I'd say our current situation is close to an emergency given we have so many players out injured so the time to play the youngsters could be imminent

Na Walter would rather play old heads out of position than bring in youngsters in their natural position

Yes, but WS will never play them except in emergencies.

I'd say our current situation is close to an emergency given we have so many players out injured so the time to play the youngsters could be imminent

Na Walter would rather play old heads out of position than bring in youngsters in their natural position

But we're running out of the old heads!

Guest therabbitt

Elideldo, who goes to watch all the youth matches and has a fantastic blog about it said this there the other day...

Every time there is a bad result people stop thinking and come out with some ridiculous ideas. If we did what you are suggesting it would not be unreasonable to expect is to lose to Hibs by a record score. The youths have failed to beat Falkirk, Motherwell and Hamilton at youth level this season. So how do you think they would fare against Hibs first team ?

Out with the old firm clubs can play youngsters and lose 4/5 games in a row and nobody bothers (with the exception of a couple of thousand of their own fans). Rangers have to be competing to win the league, a single defeat is a crisis, in the media and message boards just like this.

So who realistically could come in to the squad , as someone who takes more of an interest in the youths than most, here is my opinion on whats available.

Alan Lowing - Out of contact in January, not likely to be considered.

Steve Lennon - injured (broken foot), unsuccessful loan spell at Thistle, future lies elswhere

Paul Elmslie - On trial at Beveren future lies elsewhere

Rory Loy - A possible, even though his loan at Dunfermline was mixed but probably less need for a forward

Jordan McMillan - Could come in a full back, but if was going to make it at Rangers would have done it before now

Andy Little - Injured (Hamstring) , but I still see him as a striker

Thomas Kind Bendiksen - Long term injury hardly played in past year

Stephen Stirling - Not quite ready in my opinion, but midfield is becoming short in numbers, so could be a possible

Andrew Shinnie - Injured (broken foot), would have featured this season I am sure

Youths

John Fleck - Will no doubt come in over the next few games, will the support give him a chance to learn ?

Danny Wilson - Great prospect will come in sooner or later, but he is 17 and would rather see him coming in to a confident team

Jamie Ness - Injured at the moment, but like Wilson will come in some time soon.

Gregg Wylde - Not ready for first team still got a lot to learn.

Non of the others at youth level are remotely near ready for the first team. So forget the hysterics, realistically with the injuries mentioned, its the first team squad plus John Fleck & Rory Loy with at a push McMillan and Stirling if we really short on numbers, and looking to bring in Wilson at the right time.

Elideldo, who goes to watch all the youth matches and has a fantastic blog about it said this there the other day...

Every time there is a bad result people stop thinking and come out with some ridiculous ideas. If we did what you are suggesting it would not be unreasonable to expect is to lose to Hibs by a record score. The youths have failed to beat Falkirk, Motherwell and Hamilton at youth level this season. So how do you think they would fare against Hibs first team ?

Out with the old firm clubs can play youngsters and lose 4/5 games in a row and nobody bothers (with the exception of a couple of thousand of their own fans). Rangers have to be competing to win the league, a single defeat is a crisis, in the media and message boards just like this.

So who realistically could come in to the squad , as someone who takes more of an interest in the youths than most, here is my opinion on whats available.

Alan Lowing - Out of contact in January, not likely to be considered.

Steve Lennon - injured (broken foot), unsuccessful loan spell at Thistle, future lies elswhere

Paul Elmslie - On trial at Beveren future lies elsewhere

Rory Loy - A possible, even though his loan at Dunfermline was mixed but probably less need for a forward

Jordan McMillan - Could come in a full back, but if was going to make it at Rangers would have done it before now

Andy Little - Injured (Hamstring) , but I still see him as a striker

Thomas Kind Bendiksen - Long term injury hardly played in past year

Stephen Stirling - Not quite ready in my opinion, but midfield is becoming short in numbers, so could be a possible

Andrew Shinnie - Injured (broken foot), would have featured this season I am sure

Youths

John Fleck - Will no doubt come in over the next few games, will the support give him a chance to learn ?

Danny Wilson - Great prospect will come in sooner or later, but he is 17 and would rather see him coming in to a confident team

Jamie Ness - Injured at the moment, but like Wilson will come in some time soon.

Gregg Wylde - Not ready for first team still got a lot to learn.

Non of the others at youth level are remotely near ready for the first team. So forget the hysterics, realistically with the injuries mentioned, its the first team squad plus John Fleck & Rory Loy with at a push McMillan and Stirling if we really short on numbers, and looking to bring in Wilson at the right time.

From what I've seen and heard I would say Fleck, Wilson, Shinnie, Ness, Little and Wylde have all got a chance. The facts are there. We have to bring these payers through. There is no other alternative available. Just don't want to see the fans gettin on their backs whenever they slightly fuck up as they will do once in a while

Saw quite a bit of the likes of, Danny Wilson, Jamie Ness, Gregg Wylde, John Fleck, Rory Loy, Andrew Shinnie....when I used to go to the youth/reserve games.

Heard a lot of good things about Andrew Shinnie last season - don't know if he's injured, but he had a very good season in the 1st division, and tbh, there aint much of a step up, especially when you see the likes of Falkirk, Hamilton, St. Mirren....and compare them to the likes of Dundee, Livingston, ICT....

Always been impressed with Danny Wilson, he's performed at every level to a high standard, and he's also impressed when on international duty. Said this a year or so ago on here, but he reminds me of a young, up and coming Christian Chivu - in that I don't mean as good, or is going to be as good, but the similiarities are there, IMO :) He needs to bulk up a bit, as he can be a bit lightweight at times.

Make what you wish of John Fleck? He's not impressed me, but I thought he had a good game yesterday, and needs more games. Certainly a better option than some of our current 1st team players.

Gregg Wylde is another player I like the look of. Can play either left back or left midfield - I prefer him in midfield. He has pace to burn, can beat a man, deliver a ball, and his distribution is pretty crisp. He also has the energy needed, and because he's played at left back, has the ability to defend. Again, still a little lightweight, not a dig, but he's still a bit behind in that area.

Jordan McMillan impressed me at both RB, and CB at a young age, but I have not seen him in a bit.

Alan Lowing has never impressed me, and IMO, will never make the grade at Rangers.

Jamie Ness is also a player who can't be too far away from getting a chance, especially at this moment in time. Tall, strong, a bit of pace....he likes to get on the ball, and look for openings. He's been on the bench before, so like I said above, can't be too far away.

In the 3rd division mate!

Interesting post Rabbit and seems to contradict what people on here who hardly see the youths seem to think.....but hey it's another stick to beat the manager with so why let that get in the way

I am sure you will sniffing arround walters arse to protect him from that stick!

In the 3rd division mate!

They weren't last season when Shinnie was on loan at Dundee.

Interesting post Rabbit and seems to contradict what people on here who hardly see the youths seem to think.....but hey it's another stick to beat the manager with so why let that get in the way

Everyone I've spoken to recently has agreed that Fleck was infinitely better than McCulloch's recent performances, but why let that get in the way of one of GCL's smug witticisms?

Surely Lowing has to be better than Whittaker and Broadfoot worth a chance.

I would like to see them all given a shot surely they cant do worse than we have been recently?

Im forever hearing statements like "but these guys must be better than the diddies we've got on the pitch just now". There's zero logic in statements like this. We're talking about teenagers and slightly older boys who are used to competing against players who arent good enough to get a game for the likes of Hamilton and Falkirk. Take a guy like Danny Wilson - now Ive never seen him play, but centre half is the position where physical strength and experience are most important. Wilson might well be a talented player, but that wont stop him being bullied by the likes of Lee Miller and Kevin Kyle because they are big, physical, aggressive grown men, up against a teenage boy.