Mendes to Sporting CP?

j1mgg

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick! Let's all vilify Mendes for nothing!

:anguish:

Exactly mate I think it says on the article that he would have to take a paycut to go back to Portugal. There can be different circumstances behind it. Not sure if he is a Sporting supporter

Pedro is a good player and it is a dent on the squad to lose him

I think he found the scottish very physical type of football a bit alien to his style though (he admitted himself he held back)

would be nice to see him do well in Lisbon and get to the world cup

Mendes is an honest professional who has said fantastic things about Rangers since signing last season. All he is saying in that article is that if Rangers need the money for him then he is quite happy to leave for Lisbon as the deal would suit both parties.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Mendes is one of the most technically gifted players in the team, he is capable of winning games with a defence-splitting pass or a wonder strike. He has proved that last season. The likes of Thomson and McCulloch will do the donkey work but they lack the class and intelligence of Mendes. I wold be sorry to see him go but at the end of the day i'd rather him than Boyd moved to pastures new.

Mendes is an honest professional who has said fantastic things about Rangers since signing last season. All he is saying in that article is that if Rangers need the money for him then he is quite happy to leave for Lisbon as the deal would suit both parties.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Mendes is one of the most technically gifted players in the team, he is capable of winning games with a defence-splitting pass or a wonder strike. He has proved that last season. The likes of Thomson and McCulloch will do the donkey work but they lack the class and intelligence of Mendes. I wold be sorry to see him go but at the end of the day i'd rather him than Boyd moved to pastures new.

very true

Why not? everyone else seems fair game for that ;)

Then again, are you not one of the few that grasps the fat we are expecting different things from him and viewing him as an attacker, rather than defensive/sitting midfielder?

its the way things are done in our support :anguish:

Certainly seems to be the current trend.

I'll be sad to see him leave, if it does happen. If Davis gets injured and Mendes leaves then our midfield will be sorely lacking creativity.

I'll be sad to see him leave, if it does happen. If Davis gets injured and Mendes leaves then our midfield will be sorely lacking creativity.

Ness? Fleck? perhaps :)

very true

however 1.5million for an over 30 midfielder who was very inconsistent in scotland might be too good to turn down

and as i said above, if he goes the bye pedro and thanks for everything, your 4 goals last season made the transfer worthwhile

Even though in an ideal world the preference would be to retain all of our players, to me if anyone were to leave then I think Mendes would be one we could let go. Davis has started to show his class when being played more central and with players such as KT, Edu and McCulloch offering the grit in the centre then it's an area I feel we are covered in. Should Davis be injured there are options with Ness and Fleck for example or even push Bougherra into midfield with Wilson being played at the back.

Technically Mendes is probably our best player, and I feel is a true professional getting regular games in his homeland at this stage of his career could give him the opportunity to be playing in the next World Cup and this would probably be his last chance.

I could never begrudge him that and if he does move to Sporting I wish him all the best.

Then again, are you not one of the few that grasps the fat we are expecting different things from him and viewing him as an attacker, rather than defensive/sitting midfielder?

I am indeed.

People seem to think that he's an attacking midfielder, when in reality, we've been playing him 10-20 yards further up the park than he has at any time in his career.

I am indeed.

People seem to think that he's an attacking midfielder, when in reality, we've been playing him 10-20 yards further up the park than he has at any time in his career.

Absolutely, and, when you see him play back a bit, he is a totally different player. For me, that aspect is why so many seem to give him a hard time, because they are expecting what he isnt. Its probably a similar situation to Ferguson, as we did the same with him. i dont think Mendes is as good as some make out, but, at the same time, on his day, in his proper role, there is noone better in the SPL than him, not by a long way

And he is a dude!

Even though in an ideal world the preference would be to retain all of our players, to me if anyone were to leave then I think Mendes would be one we could let go. Davis has started to show his class when being played more central and with players such as KT, Edu and McCulloch offering the grit in the centre then it's an area I feel we are covered in. Should Davis be injured there are options with Ness and Fleck for example or even push Bougherra into midfield with Wilson being played at the back.

Technically Mendes is probably our best player, and I feel is a true professional getting regular games in his homeland at this stage of his career could give him the opportunity to be playing in the next World Cup and this would probably be his last chance.

I could never begrudge him that and if he does move to Sporting I wish him all the best.

Agreed. He is our best footballer and can do things that no other player can ?(e.g. score 30yrd blinders at the Piggery) However like many other posters i feel if Mendes going means we keep hold of David and Boyd then he's a sacrifice im willing to make as those 2 staying (+ Boogie) would see us winning the league again.

One problem with that is he is the guy you want in centre mid if we do get back to the CL - but hey ho needs must.

Mendes said: "I do not know if they have to sell. But if they do then I wouldn't mind moving if it helped the club.

"I'm aware Rangers are not in a good financial position but to what extent I'mnot sure.

"Sporting are one of the great clubs in Portugal and I would be open to a proposal if Rangers let me leave.

"So far it is all just speculation as I have not spoken to Sporting yet and there has been no contact from the directors."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21948272/

"Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player."

why the fuck nae cant we get players to come here on "reduced terms" and still enjoy 50,000 crowds and the limelight and champions league football. Wasnt mendes a so called signing in troubled financial times? yet now he will go to Porto for less wages than he is on for us quite happily. Shows how we've consistently been arseholed by players and agents for years, mendes would have taken £10-£15,000 a week to play for us,so we give him £20 grand a week, yet someone like Boyd is taking home £9000 a week and kick up the arse by the pro celtic press every week

Even darcheville was on way too much, and his time here set him up for life even tho he only started one game