Ferguson and Lies

The amount of lies upon here about Barry Ferguson and his power at Rangers are staggering. For an ex-Rangers captain, someone who played through injury etc. for the club, some fans on here are dragging his name through the mud on the basis of hearsay.

Firstly let me say I am not a Ferguson fan. The few members on here that personally know me will testify that, I thought he brought virtually nothing to the team since his return from Blackburn. But even I would never stoop to the level some "fans" on here are about our ex-captain.

Before the bias-remarks flood in, I have fully acknowledged Fergie's part in the PLG downfall. I accept this, but this incident has been the basis for anyone to slander his name and for it to be accepted as fact.

Such remarks as:

Ferguson held back youngsters such as Efrem etc. with negative criticism (absolute BULLSHIT, I know a friend who was one of the caterers at Murray Park, he said Ferguson would often eat with the youngsters at meals and encourage them/advise them on how to progress)

Ferguson refused Mendes to be paid higher wages than him (at the time, Rangers offered Mendes approximately £28,000 a week inc. appearance, match win and goal bonuses). The fact that the Mendes deal was all but completed when Ferguson was on a family holiday should confirm this. Does anyone honestly believe Walter wouldn't of told Ferguson to get the f*ck out of the club if he'd came in and spat the dummy out?

Ferguson called Murray park his "own" etc. Apparently this was a running joke between players, with himself, Boyd, McCulloch and McGregor all creating nicknames for the place depending on who was retrospectively performing the best. It would be the joking equivalent of "Mount Murray" replacing Henman Hill in tennis.

I don't overly appreciate Ferguson as a player since his early days, but I think some fans who seem to hate him more than their love for the intergrity of Rangers need to take a hard look at themselves. Posting slanderous statements with no quotes/basis is something i'd expect of Tims, not Rangers fans.

All in all i'm glad hes left us, but the abuse he takes is shocking and disgusting for an ex-Rangers captain.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there's a strange amount of slandering that goes on towards him.

However! My personal favourate thing I know about him is when he signed his first big contract with us he'd burn £20 notes in front of my flatmate and his friends to piss them off :lol:

i didnt rate him

didnt want him back

and im glad hes away

btw hes not a legend in my eyes, he was "captain" of a really poor side during one of our most turbulent and mediocre periods.

:cheers:

I agree there's a strange amount of slandering that goes on towards him.

However! My personal favourate thing I know about him is when he signed his first big contract with us he'd burn £20 notes in front of my flatmate and his friends to piss them off :lol:

Haa thats brilliant! When I was a trainee chef, my friend who was at Murray Park for work experience said Fergie used to do the classic "loosen the caps off salt and vinegar" before offering it round to the youth players. Now thats just a laugh, feck it i've done that hundreds of times! How this can be basis for him being a "big bad bully" is laughable IMO! Guess i'm a bastard and all :sherlock:

And in response to a later poster, Ferguson is nowhere near a Rangers legend in my eyes. But as a captain of our club for years he at least deserves a teaspoonful of respect...and any personal attacks on him should be taken with a pinch of salt :craphead:

Deserved criticism at times, quite rightly as have other players past and present. Was a bit too arrogant at times in the past but by all accounts sorted himself out in that respect does a lot for charities, will always love Rangers, and he is playing pretty well at the moment in his new club so people should just let the past be the past.

The amount of lies upon here about Barry Ferguson and his power at Rangers are staggering. For an ex-Rangers captain, someone who played through injury etc. for the club, some fans on here are dragging his name through the mud on the basis of hearsay.

Firstly let me say I am not a Ferguson fan. The few members on here that personally know me will testify that, I thought he brought virtually nothing to the team since his return from Blackburn. But even I would never stoop to the level some "fans" on here are about our ex-captain.

Before the bias-remarks flood in, I have fully acknowledged Fergie's part in the PLG downfall. I accept this, but this incident has been the basis for anyone to slander his name and for it to be accepted as fact.

Such remarks as:

Ferguson held back youngsters such as Efrem etc. with negative criticism (absolute BULLSHIT, I know a friend who was one of the caterers at Murray Park, he said Ferguson would often eat with the youngsters at meals and encourage them/advise them on how to progress)

Ferguson refused Mendes to be paid higher wages than him (at the time, Rangers offered Mendes approximately £28,000 a week inc. appearance, match win and goal bonuses). The fact that the Mendes deal was all but completed when Ferguson was on a family holiday should confirm this. Does anyone honestly believe Walter wouldn't of told Ferguson to get the f*ck out of the club if he'd came in and spat the dummy out?

Ferguson called Murray park his "own" etc. Apparently this was a running joke between players, with himself, Boyd, McCulloch and McGregor all creating nicknames for the place depending on who was retrospectively performing the best. It would be the joking equivalent of "Mount Murray" replacing Henman Hill in tennis.

I don't overly appreciate Ferguson as a player since his early days, but I think some fans who seem to hate him more than their love for the intergrity of Rangers need to take a hard look at themselves. Posting slanderous statements with no quotes/basis is something i'd expect of Tims, not Rangers fans.

All in all i'm glad hes left us, but the abuse he takes is shocking and disgusting for an ex-Rangers captain.

Well theres plenty of undercover timmys here who are ready to slander someone like yous who hassae bravery to stand and say what a lot of us are thinking.

interesting, how many of the Folk that say the past is in the past say the same things about past Rangers captains :pipe:

so when someone says he isnt a patch on John Greig do we all go , PISH thats in the past, I look to the future :pipe:

just out of interest :sherlock:

It would be fair to say I'm not his biggest fan. Heard a couple of stories about him being Barry Bigtime but heard others about him being quite a sound guy.

He was a good player for us. Certainly wouldn't rank him in the all-time greats such as Greig, Baxter, McCoist etc though. I can't imagine the great Rangers captains of the past being involved in half the rubbish he was during his time at the club.

Having said that as much as he did wrong at rangers I won't forget the contribution he made, particularly in his first stint at the club

Such remarks as:

Well theres plenty of undercover timmys here who are ready to slander someone like yous who hassae bravery to stand and say what a lot of us are thinking.

You crack me up <cr>

I'm of mixed opinion on this one. Prior to him going down south to Blackburn, i genuinely thought the man was destined for "John Greig" like greatness but sadly he moved on to pastures new and it didn't work out for him. At this point i still had the greatest respect for him. You can't knock someone for showing a little ambition and wanting to try something else. It was his then return from Blackburn that soured my opinion on him. He came back a different player indeed but a more negative player. "Square baw Barry" is the nickname given to him by my friends and i. He just didnt bring much to the team as an attacking threat like he used to. Then the whole PLG thing really fucked it for him. No player is bigger than a club. I really think if PLG had gotten his wish and got rid of him then we would be a much better off team today. Barry had his clique at Rangers, Shagger, boyd, Mculloch, those were in his clique. I don't like this idea of "Them and us" attitude in any football team. Barry had to go, was a great player but now he's just another ex-Rangers player not a legend.

Never a legend, never a leader!

I've seen him out on the drink, and he is a grade a :wanker:

The amount of games he dragged us through and won for us would suggest differently. Did you miss the 2002/03 season or something?

As for him being a wanker, I couldn't really care, to me it only matters what he does on the park. What he does/is like in his own time is none of my concern.