New deals for McGregor, Papac and Miller?

Ibroxblue

RANGERS are close to tying down a trio of prized assets with Allan McGregor, Kenny Miller and Sasa Papac all ready to sign new deals.

And in another boost to boss Walter Smith, who just weeks ago looked like having his squad decimated by big-name departures, Lee McCulloch has already signed a two-year contract extension that will keep him at the club until 2013.

McCulloch's commitment comes in the wake of interest from Ipswich and Blackpool, who were keen to lure the player south of the border again.

The former Motehrwell man said: "I know Rangers are trying to secure the payers who are going to be out of contract next year and there are efforts being made to bring in new faces."

But it's the news over McGregor that will most thrill Gers fans.

he is one of the club's most sellable assets and a string of Premiership outfits were believed to be preparing a raid.

The Ibrox No. 1 again proved his class on his international recall against Sweden on Wednesday night when he prevented a 3-0 beating from turning into an annihilation.

And to swell the feelgood factor Miller and Papac - who are in the final year of their existing contracts - are also poised to agree new deals as Smith further plugs the Ibrox exodus.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/2010/08/13/rangers-set-to-tie-up-new-deals-for-mcgregor-miller-and-papac-86908-22484396/

Good News!!

Can not help but get that sinking feeling of a statement at the end of this transfer window which says....

"We tried our best to get players in but were priced out, at least we tied down some first team players" <cr> <cr>

I know feck all though and hope I am a million miles wrong! Just hit me that the season starts tomorrow and after all the shouts of money to spend...no one has signed and the squad has been severely depleted :(

What a crap few weeks really!! rather than look forward to good footballers coming in all you flippen read is "sell on values" "wage structures" etc etc.... more like financial fans than football fans!!

Fingers crossed something happens today though, im just feeling pretty pissed off with it all and need to get a life LOL!!

Big Lee is one of those players who's attributes seem to pass by most fans, because he is not a creative midfielder there is no "pzzazz" to his play then everyone thinks he is a donkey.

McCulloch does the dirty work in the middle of the park, him and/or Edu fighting to get the ball and release it to Davis or the wide men (if we ever get any) to actually create the attack.

For me, Lee is an essential tool in any managers toolbox and he should be appreciated more.

On the OP, i am interested to see that we now seem to tying up other players into longer term deals, what is confusing me is that when Thomson left, the reason given was that he couldn't hold onto until after the window because Rangers couldn't offer him a new deal until then ... so what's changed ??

Over & above, it is good to see we are tying up our better players.. including McGregor, who is a lynchpin in our defense of the title.

Bring on 54.

It would surprise me if McGregor were to be offered an extension already given that he signed a contract not that long ago to 2013.

As for the others, well maybe this will go some way to appeasing the panic merchants on here who were going off their nut that McCulloch had been offered an extension and no-one else had...

It would surprise me if McGregor were to be offered an extension already given that he signed a contract not that long ago to 2013.

As for the others, well maybe this will go some way to appeasing the panic merchants on here who were going off their nut that McCulloch had been offered an extension and no-one else had...

Happy to see new contracts for all 4 players - good news. Makes you wonder though how we can see to new deals for 3 x 30 somethings but not our 25yrd old international midfielder? Do the Rangers staff think Thomson's injuries are more serious long term than we thought?

Happy to see new contracts for all 4 players - good news. Makes you wonder though how we can see to new deals for 3 x 30 somethings but not our 25yrd old international midfielder? Do the Rangers staff think Thomson's injuries are more serious long term than we thought?

Or maybe the management realised that at 25 Thomson was as good as he was ever going to get and that he was a player that was easily replaceable?

Or maybe we had unofficial discussions and were never going to be able to match his demands so thought it best to just cash in while we could?

Or maybe its just as simple as Thomson didnt want to stay! Who knows!

Big Lee is one of those players who's attributes seem to pass by most fans, because he is not a creative midfielder there is no "pzzazz" to his play then everyone thinks he is a donkey.

McCulloch does the dirty work in the middle of the park, him and/or Edu fighting to get the ball and release it to Davis or the wide men (if we ever get any) to actually create the attack.

For me, Lee is an essential tool in any managers toolbox and he should be appreciated more.

I can totally see where you are coming from but he is no where near good enough IMO and a 2 year deal was too far.

Also, good news about contracts though I'm not that keen on Miller getting a new contract, think he's on way downhill.

Why now?

Why all of a sudden has the club now opened negotiations with 4 of our top players when just a few weeks ago we couldn't offer anyone a new contract?

Is it because privately they know the Jelavic deal is dead and doubts remain over Beattie and Smith.

Is this our "4 new signings".

And are their new deals coming out of this years budget?

Why now?

Why all of a sudden has the club now opened negotiations with 4 of our top players when just a few weeks ago we couldn't offer anyone a new contract?

Is it because privately they know the Jelavic deal is dead and doubts remain over Beattie and Smith.

Is this our "4 new signings".

And are their new deals coming out of this years budget?

Your being too cynical mate.

This is good news. I don't believe that we couldn't afford to give anyone new deals.

We tried to make Boyd our highest paid player at the club and he left for Middlesbrough for 4 grand a week more.

Wilson wanted away.

Thomson is the biggest mystery, he obviously wanted a lot more than the wage cap allowed.

Papac won't be a problem to deal with, same as McCulloch wasn't.

McGregor and Miller will be more aware than most about the wage cap and if they are ready to commit then nothing else comes into it. No alterior motives or cynical moves by Rangers beacuse they might not get Jelavic.

Your being too cynical mate.

This is good news. I don't believe that we couldn't afford to give anyone new deals.

We tried to make Boyd our highest paid player at the club and he left for Middlesbrough for 4 grand a week more.

Wilson wanted away.

Thomson is the biggest mystery, he obviously wanted a lot more than the wage cap allowed.

Papac won't be a problem to deal with, same as McCulloch wasn't.

McGregor and Miller will be more aware than most about the wage cap and if they are ready to commit then nothing else comes into it. No alterior motives or cynical moves by Rangers beacuse they might not get Jelavic.

I think it is justified in the present circumstances.

I said from day one we wouldn't be signing Jelavic and so it is proving to be.

And i don't recall any quotes saying Thomson turned down a new offer or demanded too much either.

Something has happened behind the scenes these last few weeks that we are not being told.

I am still to be convinced we will make any more than 1 signing with 2 or 3 bosmans or loans.

See the doom and gloomers pick and choose which reports they listen to :rolleyes: at th beginning of pre-season Walter said we would be offering deals to those that we WANTED TO KEEP at the club in the coming weeks/months but hey why listen when you can peddle your bile :D

And i don't recall any quotes saying Thomson turned down a new offer or demanded too much either.

Something has happened behind the scenes these last few weeks that we are not being told.

I am still to be convinced we will make any more than 1 signing with 2 or 3 bosmans or loans.

If that's what you want to think then that's upto you.

Maybe the Thomson sale was even Walter Smith's decision to save him making a big decision about what 2 from 4 central midfielders to pick and bring a few million into the kitty? might not even be he got the chance to reject a new contract.

You said yourself, stuff's happening that we don't know about, so we are all free to make our own assumptions. Personally I feel we have stuck all our eggs in the one basket with a couple of signings that haven't materialised and now we are chasing our tail a bit to get the right people in on time.

That doesn't mean that the club is fucked, in my eyes.

i don't recall any quotes saying Thomson turned down a new offer or demanded too much either.

Sir Walter Smith had this to say

"However, there are two sides to the Thomson deal in that he is going into the last year of his contract and, from the player's point of view, Middlesbrough can maybe offer more long-term security than he can have here.

Thomson thought the financial rewards for playing in a fud league most important of all for his career progression. Personally, I was delighted his new career got off to such a brilliant start :lol:

thought shagger had 2 years left along with davis and bougherra

those (8) out of contract this year are papac, miller, mcculloch, weir, velicka, webster and 2 others

all getting older and slower and more injury prone, i would let them all go

free up loads of wages for Ally to play with and build his own younger team

If that's what you want to think then that's upto you.

Maybe the Thomson sale was even Walter Smith's decision to save him making a big decision about what 2 from 4 central midfielders to pick and bring a few million into the kitty? might not even be he got the chance to reject a new contract.

You said yourself, stuff's happening that we don't know about, so we are all free to make our own assumptions. Personally I feel we have stuck all our eggs in the one basket with a couple of signings that haven't materialised and now we are chasing our tail a bit to get the right people in on time.

That doesn't mean that the club is fucked, in my eyes.

And you are right...it's all about opinions.

And you are actually not that far off the mark regards Smith take on Thomson :wink:

reading through this thinking its good to get these signed up, but cant help thinking you are hell bent on your fantasies and thoeries regarding rangers and the going on that may not be happening but you are adamant that something is, it seems to me or comes accross that you are very fast at wanting answers for things that may not be there, i understand you may not be drawn in with the walter we trust category of things but why is there always gotta be a lie or mis-leadings towards the fans etc