First Away Day memories

BigBearAl

With the first away day of the season upon us to Easter Road, my memories go back to my very first away day. I don't think we ever forget our first away day adventure supporting the Bears:

4th October 1980

Rangers v Morton

2-2

Cappielow

Aged 5 at the time and staying in Johnstone. My old man loaded me into his motor for the short trip doon the clyde tae Greenock. My memories for some reason seem to be in black and white, maybe that was due to Greenock being cloudy and a bit gloomy that day.

The part of Cappielow I was in was mobbed and for the entire game I was hanging on to my dads trouser leg, freezing cold as he jumped about like a maddie. Didn't see much of the game or even remember much about it apart from the score and the fact that I was promised a bag of chips afterwards.

Cappielow.JPG

Cappielow = Freezing toilet - Take me hame da.

Anyone else like to share their first away day memories??

I can't remember my first away games, I've been going to games pretty much since I was born. Theirs a story about how my maw took me to Ibrox, freezing cold day when I was only a few months old!

Mines was an away game in 94/95 away at Firhill with my da as it was just 5 minutes down the road from were we stayed in Possil at the time, i was about 5-6.

I don't remember much apart from being in the old terracing behind the goals at Firhill and moanin tae my da i hud a sore arse fae sitting on the Terracing railings :lol:

Got a vague recollection on seeing Gazza with the peroxide hair.

With the first away day of the season upon us to Easter Road, my memories go back to my very first away day. I don't think we ever forget our first away day adventure supporting the Bears:

4th October 1980

Rangers v Morton

2-2

Cappielow

Aged 5 at the time and staying in Johnstone. My old man loaded me into his motor for the short trip doon the clyde tae Greenock. My memories for some reason seem to be in black and white, maybe that was due to Greenock being cloudy and a bit gloomy that day.

The part of Cappielow I was in was mobbed and for the entire game I was hanging on to my dads trouser leg, freezing cold as he jumped about like a maddie. Didn't see much of the game or even remember much about it apart from the score and the fact that I was promised a bag of chips afterwards.

Cappielow.JPG

Nice story. (tu)

my first ever rangers game was ayr utd away,i was about 7 or 8,so about 24 years ago(1986 ish).pre season friendly i believe. my dad and uncle took myself and my cousin away for the day and pretended to us that wee were going golfing with them but when we arrived at ayr and the place was packed with rangers fans my dad told us that we were going to see the mighty rangers.well i still remember that smile on my face to this day.

from what i remember from that game super ally scored a curler from the edge of the box right into the top corner and rangers won 3-1. at half time there were 3 rangers players standing on the half way line and the kids were encouraged to go out and get their autographs, after from some coxing from my dad i went and got an autogragh from my hero at the time davie cooper.

brilliant memories and cant wait to do the same for my wee boy when he is at that age,as he's only just turned four he's more interested playing football than watching it.

my first ever rangers game was ayr utd away,i was about 7 or 8,so about 24 years ago(1986 ish).pre season friendly i believe. my dad and uncle took myself and my cousin away for the day and pretended to us that wee were going golfing with them but when we arrived at ayr and the place was packed with rangers fans my dad told us that we were going to see the mighty rangers.well i still remember that smile on my face to this day.

from what i remember from that game super ally scored a curler from the edge of the box right into the top corner and rangers won 3-1. at half time there were 3 rangers players standing on the half way line and the kids were encouraged to go out and get their autographs, after from some coxing from my dad i went and got an autogragh from my hero at the time davie cooper.

brilliant memories and cant wait to do the same for my wee boy when he is at that age,as he's only just turned four he's more interested playing football than watching it.

Wonderful surprise!

I've only been to one away game, and it was last season. Falkirk away with my mate, but we had to get the train from Johnstone upto Glasgow, then to Bridgeton. I was shiting myself to be honest because I had no idea where we were going or whom we were meeting once we arrived. Eventually, after a long wait outside Walkers pub, a small white mini bus arrived. I followed at my friend on, ticketless, and waited nervously at the front of this mini bus with people I had never met in my life. Time goes on a bit, and my mate texts his contact for the tickets...no reply.

The driver starts driving the bus to Falkirk, and to say I'm panicking is an understatement. We'd came all the way to Bridgeton, for the first time, without tickets - heading to Falkirk away. The bus is full and we're by this time on the motorway, I nudge my mate and text into my phone, "Iain for fucksake this isn't funny, where are the tickets?"

He shrugs it off, and says it'll be fine. Then he texts the guy after he's beginning to panic himself.

Fortunately, he gets a text from his contact saying rather calmly, "I'm up the back of the bus you cock." :lol:

We arrived at a local pub, pints were served, and started our walk to the stadium. Rangers won 4-1 that day and although not the most glamorous away fixture, it was my first and I loved every minute of it.

Hopefully, Hearts away in October with another friend.

Kilmarnock away, 07/08 season, we won 2-1, Darcheville and Beasley for us, Naismith for them :lol:

Best memories of that day are doing the bouncy and literally feeling the stand shake underneath my feet, and shouting abuse at the Killie neds :D

Love away games :D

My first away game was hibs 2 seasons ago. we won 3-0,brilliant atmosphere,and we played brilliant that day aswell.

Bougherra,and miller got 2. I have been to aberdeen once and that was last season and we got beat 1-0. been to a few away games,but they two stick out,for me.

living in england dont get up to as many games as i would like but the first away game was st mirren v rangers at love street. souness had only just left, 2 or 3 league games left(cant remember) managed to scrap a 1 nil with a really late goal.

cant think who scored but can still recall standing next to a guy asking me if i wanted some of his vodka every couple of mins

until he was cought with the offending bottle and was shown the exit. i was only 12 or 13 at the time.

living in england dont get up to as many games as i would like but the first away game was st mirren v rangers at love street. souness had only just left, 2 or 3 league games left(cant remember) managed to scrap a 1 nil with a really late goal.

cant think who scored but can still recall standing next to a guy asking me if i wanted some of his vodka every couple of mins

until he was cought with the offending bottle and was shown the exit. i was only 12 or 13 at the time.

Sandy Robertson scored (tu)

4th October 1980

Rangers v Morton

2-2

Cappielow

Cappielow.JPG

first away game was at dunfermline we lost 2-0 way back in the 60s think it was 64/65 season

canny mind my first, but my worst was berwick away when eck was in charge

think it was a wed night, fucking absolutely baltic, food places round the ground were boggin

and the gers werent much better that night either, 0-0 and absolutely garbage

the funny part of the night is that a fair few of us in the cow shed that was the terrace realised that the bovril was fucking howling, so we only bought them to try and heat ourselves up by holding them in our hands against our bodies :lol:

no as if we were gonna spill any from jumping about anyway

think it was a wed night, fucking absolutely baltic, food places round the ground were boggin

the funny part of the night is that a fair few of us in the cow shed that was the terrace realised that the bovril was fucking howling, so we only bought them to try and heat ourselves up by holding them in our hands against our bodies :lol:

Fuck, I remember watching that in Sydney at fuck knows when in the morning

In the mid 70s, I was 10 and living in a rough tough Glasgow housing scheme on the south-side, one Saturday Rangers were playing Clyde at Shawfield in a Scottish Cup tie, I didnt know where Shawfield was , the other side of the world? I noticed a guy who went to the same school as me, i didnt know him. He was wearing a scarf and was with his Dad. I just followed them, on the public bus and got to Shawfield. I dont remember how I got back though. That was my first Rangers away game.

One of our worst ever performances, and Flo was pish that night. And to be honest Berwick could have beat us that night.