***The Official Manchester United v Rangers Thread***

Muff

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one will be offended but i think if we played a 4-4-2, for example, we would be beaten by a few as they have far better players than us middle to front. An extra midfield and hitting them on the break with weiss and miller would make the most sense to me...

I would tend to agree. Last season Walter used the 4-5-1 tactic away from home and it arguably served us better than the 4-4-2 tactic we tried at home...

People who are asking us to open up at old trafford and attack must have forgot last years CL....

I don't get this argument myself mate.

The only time I saw us 'open up and attack' during last year's campaign was when we bossed Stuttgart off their own park in the second half of the opening group game........

No one will be offended but i think if we played a 4-4-2, for example, we would be beaten by a few as they have far better players than us middle to front. An extra midfield and hitting them on the break with weiss and miller would make the most sense to me...

We don't need to play a 4-4-2, but we won't get a penny change out of them if we play a 5-5-0 or a 4-5-1 with no-one within shouting distance of Miller for 90 minutes.

Playing a 4-5-1....

It was a proper 4-5-1 though. We had people up in support of Kenny Miller.

Christ, I even saw Papac sneak into the back post to just mistime a header from a superb Rothen cross in open play.

But you know as well as I do that we don't usually do it that way.

We don't need to play a 4-4-2, but we won't get a penny change out of them if we play a 5-5-0 or a 4-5-1 with no-one within shouting distance of Miller for 90 minutes.

That's when Weir lets us down. Everyone is scared to push up incase they leave him exposed at the back.

So what would you play....

As i said weiss should play and a support miller, i agree if he is totally isolated we wouldn't do anything but a 4-5-1 doesn't mean the forward is isolated if played correctly.

So what would you play....

As i said weiss should play and a support miller, i agree if he is totally isolated we wouldn't do anything but a 4-5-1 doesn't mean the forward is isolated if played correctly.

I'd play Weiss on whatever side Neville or O'Shea is on. He's quick, but Evra is like shit off a shovel.

With that in mind, the usual back four protected by Lee and Edu. In front of them, a line of three with Naismith, Davis and Weiss behind Miller.

I'd maybe be tempted to put Lafferty on the side with Evra as we need to consider all possibilities and he'd be a good 'outball', given that he's a foot taller than the wee Frenchman.

I hope we rise to the occasion for this one, cause if we play like we did on Saturday it'll be a long night, I'm confident of a 1-0 win though. I reckon it'll be 4-5-1 with Miller up top and we'll hit them on the break. :crabflute:

I'd play Weiss on whatever side Neville or O'Shea is on. He's quick, but Evra is like shit off a shovel.

With that in mind, the usual back four protected by Lee and Edu. In front of them, a line of three with Naismith, Davis and Weiss behind Miller.

I'd maybe be tempted to put Lafferty on the side with Evra as we need to consider all possibilities and he'd be a good 'outball', given that he's a foot taller than the wee Frenchman.

Naismith could be a good outball. For a guy of his size, he is pretty good in the air. I'm sure he has been used in that sort of role before.

Id definitely go with that team, Lafferty is too much of a gamble in this kind of game, plus I think Evra would happily let him bring it down then take it off him. Also Naismith is better than him in the air.

I think this Man Utd can be stifled, and Berbatov/Rooney can get easily frustrated if the defense is doing its job but the game wont finish 0-0. If we counter with conviction 1-1 is achievable.

Is that not a 4-5-1..... :lol::P

Is that not a 4-5-1..... :lol::P

Oh aye, more or less.

I've always enjoyed the 4-5-1 played properly, I've even thought we should go with it in the league. Most of the big teams play a version of it, but the one Smith often deploys in Europe is just utterly awful.

If we could play it right, I'd honestly do that every week.

IMO if we want to take anything from this game then Weir needs to be dropped , we can't afford to sit on the 18 yard line for 90 minutes while Kenny runs around trying to win the ball while our 5 midfielders chase shadows over the 70 yards of pitch exposed by our deep lying back 4 ....

IMO of course and this is not having a go at Davie Weir (tu)

And yet wee Evra would still win the header :lol: although fair play to the lad for his assist at the weekend

I agree we need to play Weiss on whatever side Evra is not on, my main concern is playing Weir against Rooney and whoever else they play up front.