5 players up for the goal and 4 of them offside . . .

BLUEDIGNITY

5476564786_37433f18d9.jpg

"A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (i.e. last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."

No players were closer to the opponents goal line than the ball. Easy

As the shot shows, it is CLEARLY onside. I can't get a close up of the first pass though as they never had the camera angle.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5476564786_37433f18d9.jpg

"A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (i.e. last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch."

No players were closer to the opponents goal line than the ball. Easy

As the shot shows, it is CLEARLY onside. I can't get a close up of the first pass though as they never had the camera angle.

You have killed this thread with facts and common-sense :craphead: .

As far as the rules go it's onside as the cross is a new "phase" whatever that means. so that Edu was offside from fosters pass to Healy is irrelevant according to the rules.

In my opinion it should be offside as we gained an advantage, but by the rules the goal is legit.

Mind you I'm from the school of thought that if you're beyond the last defender then you're offside, the only exception is if you're in a crumpled heap on the touchline. If you're on the pitch you're seeking an advantage.

That's what the rule states but I remember seeing a game where the keeper had rushed way out of his box at a corner and totally fucked up. Now the ball fell to an opposing player who belted the ball against the crossbar with a defender standing on the goal line...the ball rebounded to a team mate of the striker who had hit the crossbar (who was standing beside him at the initial shot)

Now at this stage I would have said by the letter of the law that the second attacker was onside when the striker rifled the ball against the crossbar...so it was with some amazement that when the second striker lashed the ball into the net, the referee chalked it off because he said the second striker was seeking to gain an unfair advantage by being there.

The reason I remember this was because Rio Ferdinand was the "expert commentator" and he was gobsmacked when the Referee chalked it off.

Right enough, he didn't do himself any favours when his comment was..." How could he be offside when there was a defender on the goal line?" Maybe because there was only one defender between him and the goal, Rio!.

These are the silly 'Grey areas" that I talk about that need clarifying.

I wasn't insinuating that 'jonny' doesn't know the rules or that he was wrong in his comment...More that what we see as technically correct isn't always how officials see it.

That's not really a grey area though. The position of the keeper has to be taken into consideration as the rules state that you have to be not closer to the goal line than 2 opposing players when the ball is played. I believe that to be the case anyway. :D

Hansen would have been in his glory picking holes in the defences for all goals, the last one was a classic, four Lisbon players all chasing down Healy and four stripey bears at the back stick, i must admit at normal speed i was half expecting our celebrations to be cut short by a raised flag or a whistle.

Hansen would have been in his glory picking holes in the defences for all goals, the last one was a classic, four Lisbon players all chasing down Healy and four stripey bears at the back stick, i must admit at normal speed i was half expecting our celebrations to be cut short by a raised flag or a whistle.

Indeed as was I Mate, but we got the decision, very unusual ! :sherlock:

That's not really a grey area though. The position of the keeper has to be taken into consideration as the rules state that you have to be not closer to the goal line than 2 opposing players when the ball is played. I believe that to be the case anyway. :D

Yes mate! I know what the rules are as they are written for the offside rule, but the "grey areas" come about with the different interpretations from referees.

The "Grey" area I was pointing out in the story was that the guy who put the ball into the net from the rebound off the bar technically wasn't offside at all , but the referee deemed him to be, while another referee would have let the goal stood... AND the point that Rio Ferdinand by his comment doesn't know the offside rule.

Anyway, Mo Edu's goal was legal and that's all I care about...So ends my participation in this thread. :pipe:

They were all onside they were all behind the ball (healy) when it was crossed along the box for a tap in. Doesn't matter if they were off or not when Healy recieved the ball it's when Healy passes the ball and even tho theres no defenders the offside rule states that unless the keeper is behind the ball when he passes that to edu then it's a goal. The keeper was in his net so it is a legit goal.

WTF?

Are you a woman who hangs around Richard Keyes and Andy Gray, influencing their views on female intepretations of the offside law?

If the keeper is infront of the ball and just say all 10 men on both sides are behind him then if they play a pass then their offside, it may be this is just a rule in the box but it definetely is a rule.

:rolleyes:

Jesus! You're clearly making this shit up.

Next you'll tell us that it doesn't matter as long as there's a purple sock in the strawberry blancmange.

:rolleyes:

Jesus! You're clearly making this shit up.

Next you'll tell us that it doesn't matter as long as there's a purple sock in the strawberry blancmange.

Im fuckin sure the keeper has alot to do with it, most yous thought our goal was offside so no gonnae expect yous knowing about the goalkeeper one im on about. It happened in a game I remember and the linesman got praised for it.

Im not gonnae sit here and argue with you because I know am right and unless there footage on yt or a rulebook for the offside rule then I can't prove myself and im no wastin my time just to prove im right.

Im fuckin sure the keeper has alot to do with it, most yous thought our goal was offside so no gonnae expect yous knowing about the goalkeeper one im on about. It happened in a game I remember and the linesman got praised for it.

Im not gonnae sit here and argue with you because I know am right and unless there footage on yt or a rulebook for the offside rule then I can't prove myself and im no wastin my time just to prove im right.

rofl.gif

Then there was the ambulance chasin, a skill perfected by sleasiest football management and fans in the world ! :sherlock:

In fairness, they don't use that every time.

They only used it for their former player of a few seasons and few dozen games from about a decade previously.

They didn't use it for their then first team coach, former player of 14 years and 350 odd appearances and former manager of 3 years.

I recall some cynically minded fellows claiming that they only did so because postponement was in their interest in the former case,

but against it in the latter.

Who could think such a thing of a man and club renowned for such high sporting integrity?

In fairness, they don't use that every time.

They only used it for their former player of a few seasons and few dozen games from about a decade previously.

They didn't use it for their then first team coach, former player of 14 years and 350 odd appearances and former manager of 3 years.

I recall some cynically minded fellows claiming that they only did so because postponement was in their interest in the former case,

but against it in the latter.

Who could think such a thing of a man and club renowned for such high sporting integrity?

Ave always like you Mate despite what people may think ! :sherlock: