Hutton on his position, his awful role model bar busquets, his idol

Boab

Mar 13 2011 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

Steven Gerrard is Kyle Hutton's idol but the Ibrox kid knows he must put graft before craft and model himself on anchorman Lee McCulloch.

The 20-year-old would love to be an attacking midfielder in the mould of the Liverpool captain.

However, after a heart to heart with boss Walter Smith his future has been mapped out as a holding player in the engine room.

Tough-tackling McCulloch is the best at the club playing that role and Hutton hopes to prove he is the 32-year-old's natural successor.

As he prepared for today's SPL clash against Kilmarnock, Hutton said: "I've spoken to the gaffer and he sees me as a holding player.

"So I've just got to concentrate on improving that side of my game, the defending aspect.

"Last year in the Under-19s I played in a holding role in midfield so it's not new to me. I just need to learn more about it from the likes of McCulloch.

"Sergio Busquets is also brilliant in that role for Barcelona.

"My midfield idol was always Steven Gerrard but he plays more as an attacking midfielder and that might not be what I have to model myself on. It looks like I'm going to take a step back.

"Years ago I played as a striker. I've moved about a bit, playing right-back and in midfield.

"It's taken some getting used to. When I first came to the club I loved playing up front and scoring goals.

"When they told me to move back I didn't really know where I was going to end up. I've sort of made midfield my own position now and hopefully I can improve on it.

"Playing in front of Davie Weir, who's great at talking you through games, helps make my job a whole lot easier.

"Jimmy Sinclair, the head of youth development at Murray Park, has spoken to me about it and said that's where Ally McCoist and the coaching staff see me in the future, taking over from McCulloch.

"It's good to hear there is something mapped out for me, a future role if I can prove I'm good enough. It gives me confidence to hear they are thinking about me in their plans.

"Since I heard that I've been watching a lot more of what Lee does in his position, how he reads the game. He was brilliant for us this season before getting injured.

"His positional sense makes a big difference. Lee has a wealth of experience and I can only learn from that.

"Ian Durrant has also been an amazing influence. I worked under him in the reserves. He's a great coach and good at taking me aside and telling me what I'm doing right and wrong.

"He keeps you in the right frame of mind. He has told me how to open up my body better. Ian used to say I took the ball without getting the position of my body right. Over the years he's taught me how to do it properly."

Last week Hutton signed a new, improved contract and is now tied to Gers until summer 2014.

He played the full 90 minutes of the 0-0 midweek draw at PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League and hopes to have impressed enough to keep his place for this afternoon's vital Ibrox clash.

Hutton said: "I think our title chances are good.

"If we win our games in hand then hopefully we can keep going until the end of the season and win the league.

"All the boys are confident we can do it.

"We've had bad results against Celtic but we've suffered a few injuries so once we get a full squad back we can do the business.

"I heard Madjid Bougherra say Rangers are the only team that can stop Celtic because they're on a great run and beating most of the other teams.

"Celtic have momentum from playing well and scoring goals so I think we'll have to beat them at Ibrox.

"I'd love to be involved. At the start of the season I never thought I'd be playing in European games.

"I'm delighted with the way it has gone so far and hopefully I can get a few more breaks and keep progressing."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2011/03/13/my-idol-is-steven-gerrard-but-boss-sees-me-as-a-holding-midfielder-says-rangers-kid-kyle-hutton-86908-22986900/

I'd love to see him to start more, good prospect and player right now.

Also, someone give him a video of Hemdani in Lyon at the very least...

Read this earlier , being lined up as a replacement for mcculloch who has another 2 years left in his contract if I'm right . Not all that hopefull Of him keeping big lee out the team while he is here wheather he deserves it or not

Some people aren't impressed with him but I like the him , he isn't a flair player and he isn't going to spray 25-30 yard passes like ness , he puts in a good tackle and plays the simple ball .

He should be getting more gametime between now and the end of season and if he keeps his performances up should become a regular starter next season

The holding midfielder is the modern day sweeper and a good one can be the difference in some teams!

He looks like hes got a good engine and can pass the ball well.

If we played 3 in the middle he would be good holding with Davis and Ness just in front of him!

Hutton holding, Ness and Davis with Naismith and Weiss on the wings with Jela upfront.

That's our strongest side in the coming weeks and the side I'd play at the Final

This!

Some of the best teams in the world play 4-5-1/4-3-3 but you need to have pace out wide and CM's willing to get forward but still be able to get back as well. As much as i dont like Edu he ticks a few boxes and will probably play before Ness and Hutton.

McCulloch/Hutton

Weiss Davis Ness/Edu Naismith

If we are looking at Conway i think he would be a good signing!

Thing with playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 is that if we want to change it up we can change it to 4-4-2 because we still have the wingers and midfielders.

how depressing .

so your a striker son , well how about you start playing as a midfielder ?

yeah ok , ive always been an admirer of stevie g.

no , no , no . dont be silly son , i mean a defensive midfielder . and id like you to try and copy lee mcculloch !

utterly depressing .

how depressing .

no , no , no . dont be silly son , i mean a defensive midfielder . and id like you to try and copy lee mcculloch !

utterly depressing .

so your a striker son. truth is your slow and not very mobile your only scoring goals because your bigger than the rest.

we think you can be a great midfielder tough.

why are people so determined to see the worst.

so your a striker son. truth is your slow and not very mobile your only scoring goals because your bigger than the rest.

critism is always easier to some than praise

we really have a diverse bunch of supporters

haha , ok.

so hes slow and not very mobile , yet he can be a great midfielder ? and imo it doesnt matter a fuck if hes only scoring goals because hes bigger than the rest , hes still scoring goals . thats called playing to your strengths .

how depressing .

utterly depressing .

Alan Hutton played striker all his days until Rangers asked him to play at the back, that didnt work out too badly did it?

Kenwyne Jones haad a trial with us as a CB and played as a CB before going on to play ST...

Its not that uncommon!

Anytime I seen Hutton I always thought he was better than Ness.

I think him and Ness are the future midfield of Rangers.

I don't get the first bit there.

I've NEVER watched Hutton and thought he was better than Ness. I think he's a decent big player, but seems a bit meandering still. I think that sharpness will come with the games though.

Alan Hutton played striker all his days until Rangers asked him to play at the back, that didnt work out too badly did it?

Kenwyne Jones haad a trial with us as a CB and played as a CB before going on to play ST...

Its not that uncommon!

Ronaldo (Brazilian one) started out as a goalkeeper and Schmeichel started out as a striker as well.

i like the look of Hutton, hes a big guy and with experience and sharpness he could hold his own as a defensive midfielder IMO. But to me i have never seen him play and thought he is better than Ness.

Not quite being as good as Ness isn't exactly a criticism either by the way, as Jamie is probably the most gifted young Scottish footballer I've seen since barry Ferguson.

I maybe should have added that to my post aswell, just because hes not got the same ability as Ness doesnt mean he wont make it here, Hutton still has talent and will be here for years to come with Ness i feel, by playing in europe and in the first team he can only improve. With the youngsters we have seen this season and last, the future does look bright IMO.

http://www.dailyreco...86908-22986900/

I'd love to see him to start more, good prospect and player right now.

Also, someone give him a video of Hemdani in Lyon at the very least...

2 wee points stuck out - the regard for McCulloch and the Regard for our captain WEir.

Lets hope Hutton continues to do well

Anytime I seen Hutton I always thought he was better than Ness.

I think him and Ness are the future midfield of Rangers.

I personally think Ness is better than Hutton but both are different types of midfielders.I am sure they will go on and have good futures at Rangers.