Kris Boyd: joining Boro was a mistake

Joining Boro was a big mistake

By GRAHAM HILL

Published: 14 Mar 2011

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

KRIS BOYD admits quitting Ibrox for Middlesbrough was a mistake - now he's on a mission to prove he is not an expensive flop.

Boyd has played for four bosses in less than a year after joining struggling Boro in the English Championship.

But the striker aims to turn the tables after moving on loan to promotion-chasing Nottingham Forest - and show he CAN find the net in England.

Goal machine Boyd, 27, is the highest scorer in Scottish Premier League history with 164 goals and left Rangers for Gordon Strachan's Boro in the summer.

But it all went wrong when Strach was sacked in October and new manager Tony Mowbray, another former Celtic gaffer, rarely picked Boydy.

After netting just six times, the 27-year-old was farmed out to Forest last week - and Mogga claimed the move eased their finances with the high-earning star on £30,000 a week.

But Boyd refuses to carry the can for Boro's money worries.

He said: "Last summer I felt it was right for me to go to Middlesbrough - but looking back now it was obviously the wrong decision.

"It wasn't easy when I felt like I would leave Rangers last year, but I missed a large chunk of pre-season.

"Then I found my manager had been sacked, and a new manager came in which wasn't easy.

"I found myself out of the team when Tony came in.

"Everybody knows the financial problems there and, having spoken to Tony, I think that was probably the biggest factor.

"But it's not my fault. I don't know the politics of it, I know I just wanted to play football and wasn't given the chance. Sometimes a manager comes in and doesn't take a fancy to you, but there's nothing you can do.

"When I got the phone call to come to a side pushing for promotion, I jumped at the chance when Boro said they would let me go. Now my focus is on Forest and getting them to the Premier League.

"But I'm still a Middlesbrough player and if I have to go back next season then I will."

Boyd made his City Ground debut as a late substitute in the weekend stalemate against Doncaster Rovers, but spurned a glorious chance to win the game at the death.

But he defends suggestions he has not adapted to the English game.

He said: "It's easy to say, but the goals are still the same size - they're not bigger in Scotland.

"I'm sure if the majority of people who said that went and played for Rangers or Celtic, they'd find it's not as easy as they think.

"I didn't just score a few goals - it was a lot. So it wasn't a fluke.

"But I'm not there any more. I need to do it down here, I know that.

"You lose form but you don't stop scoring goals overnight.

"Better players than me get criticised, so it doesn't bother me."

But honest Boyd admits his form has suffered.

Advertisement

He said: "It's not been ideal, four managers in a year is more than some players have in their whole football career!

"It's been pretty uncertain but I know my form hasn't been good enough in the early part of the season.

"I can't sit here and make excuses, but if it was that easy I would have sorted it myself."

Boydy doesn't know whether there is a way back at Boro.

He added: "If the manager lets you go then I don't know if there is or not. But what can I do? We'll see what happens in the summer."

Forest boss Billy Davies reckons the loan signing of Boyd could define his club's season.

He remains confident the hitman can score the kind of winners he did at Gers - and fire Forest up into the Premier League.

Former Motherwell gaffer Davies said: "Boyd needs time, he is still a few weeks away from being in top shape, but I am convinced he will score important goals for this club.

"The players are edgy at the moment and they are showing it.

"There is a mental and physical tiredness about them and it shows. They need a rest and they need the support of the fans.

"But we've now hit the 60-point mark and we're only three points off the automatic play-off places, which is a fantastic position to be in."

Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll was impressed that his injury-hit side almost beat Davies' stars.

He said: "To come here and be a threat without Billy Sharp was a big plus for us.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3465106/Joining-Boro-was-a-big-mistake.html#ixzz1GWlIiHSA

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all he seems to say, "It's not my fault" "what can i do" "it's not been easy for me" He's always making excuses.

He says the goals aren't bigger up here and that scoring goals were not a fluke,He's right there.But i think what he seems to forget that. the English championship has much better defenders than the SPL does.

If Kris Boyd had left respectfully, looking to further his career in the EPL or another major league in europe then I would have respected him. The way in which he left, turned his back on us for a pathetic excuse for a football club, it just didnt seem right and I lost every ounce of respect I had for him when I found out he was joining boro. Even towards the end of last season his half arsed performances and face constantly tripping him because he obviously thought he was better than rangers and didn't want to be here sickened me. Kris Boyds career is over as far as i'm concerned, could have stayed and been a legend, but now he is a flop.

Almost everyone on here said this would be a big mistake for you, Kris. Now you're at a shite club who are farming you out to a slightly better, but still shite club. Nobody wants you. You made the biggest mistake of your career and I can't see you making a comeback. Hell mend you.

Two time European Cup winner. ;)

I don't think its anything to do with the standard of the leagues.

Its to do with his teammates, he is a player who needs chances created and when he was at Rangers he was getting that all the time.

Both leagues are pretty shit when it comes to quality and I think if he was in a team who created alot of chances and put teams on the backfoot the way we do up here he would score for fun.

Its alot more even and competitive league even tho the quality is poor.

People need to remember the form he was in up here before he left was awful and he couldn't even score up here.