14 Steven Naismith

16 Steven Whittaker

18 Nikica Jelavic

24 Madjid Bougherra

25 Neil Alexander

39 Gregg Wylde

40 Jamie Ness

41 Kyle Hutton

this is what our squad is likely to be at the start of next season before any signings

in alot of the things i have seen whyte talks about needing 5 players ,and i dont want this to be taken the wrong way is 5 players really enough to secure another league title next season .

imo we have struggled this season due to lack of strength in depth , and lets be honest with the amount of defeats we are lucky to still have a really good shot at winning the title this season

so for 7 playerslikely to be leaving in the summer including the loans ( weir , weiss, bartley, diouf , healy , foster and papac ) to bring in 5 leaves us with 2 less players than last season .

we need a few squad players as well so that when we get injuries we dont need to play players out of position.

i also dont see £25 mill over 5 years to be enough but that is another story

Ally will likely sign a few bosmans. I would be surprised if they were part of the five.

Tbf he's isnt exactly going to start waving his wallet about alerting everyone to what the bugdet is.

5 signings involving tranfer fees, a few bosmans and retain the spine of the side. Carlsberg dont do pre-seasons...

I would Imagine there will be some bosmans and loans on top of that becasue we are going to need at least 4 players for the defence plus 2 mids and possibly a partner for jelavic at least 5-7 new players I'd say depending on who is leaving though

Ally will likely sign a few bosmans. I would be surprised if they were part of the five.

Tbf he's isnt exactly going to start waving his wallet about alerting everyone to what the bugdet is.

5 signings involving tranfer fees, a few bosmans and retain the spine of the side. Carlsberg dont do pre-seasons...

(tu)

Plus maybe keep Papac, Try to get Weiss and Bartley back on loan if possible.

And/or another couple of good prospects from the top Premiership clubs.

:uk:

(tu)

Plus maybe keep Papac, Try to get Weiss and Bartley back on loan if possible.

And/or another couple of good prospects from the top Premiership clubs.

:uk:

Yeah you and the poster above you reminded me of the possibility of loan signings.

Given that I wouldnt be surprised to see 8 maybe even 9 players come through the door. Dependent on a few factors that should be obvious, of course.

We should be using some of the players who never got a chance under Smith, or move them on if they are not going to be included. If the past few years have taught us anything, it is that we can't buy success anymore.

Papac will get a new deal

McCulloch will move to central defence

Ally will try and get Bartley and two new defenders.

We will definitely get a new striker (possibly two)

Weiss will come back

I really hope McCulloch does not play centre defence, that is a horrific prospect. I doubt it would happen.

He doesn't have the legs for it and he doesn't have the positional sense and ability of Weir.

Plus Bougherra will unlikely be here and there to bale him out.

walter smith spent 40million in 4 n half years and we have 25 million for 5 years.....doesnt seem like much to me

Spent wisely it will be plenty - remember that walter wasted a fair wad of money - like 3.5 million for lafferty (i like him... But 3.5 million?) and 2.5 million on Edu, not forgetting such buys as velicka etc and compare with the sort of quality the scum managed to bring in on the cheap, like Izaguirrez, Kayal and Commons - players who are better than their counterparts in our team, and those 3 were bought at a combined price of less than Lafferty. It just goes to show, you dont always need to spend big to get quality.

walter smith spent 40million in 4 n half years and we have 25 million for 5 years.....doesnt seem like much to me

You are forgetting that he sold players too which was part of the 40m that you've mentioned

It's not much but it can be used wisely if our scouting is good. We haven't paid enough attention to the bosman market either is recent years.

Spent wisely it will be plenty - remember that walter wasted a fair wad of money - like 3.5 million for lafferty (i like him... But 3.5 million?) and 2.5 million on Edu, not forgetting such buys as velicka etc and compare with the sort of quality the scum managed to bring in on the cheap, like Izaguirrez, Kayal and Commons - players who are better than their counterparts in our team, and those 3 were bought at a combined price of less than Lafferty. It just goes to show, you dont always need to spend big to get quality.

Walter didn't spend his money wisely..... :lol:

We ar2 two games from 3 in a row FFS.....

Walter didn't spend his money wisely..... :lol:

We ar2 two games from 3 in a row FFS.....

GCL I admire your ongoing support of WS, he deserves all the plaudits but you cannot argue that Velicka, Beattie, Webster, Lafferty at 3.5 million, Edu at 2.5 million, Rothen, etc have been a good use of the money spent. I am a big supporter of Walter and in his second spell he has signed some gems, (Weir, Davis, Jelavic, etc.) but the fact cannot be ignored he has also signed some duds and wasted a fair bit of cash in so doing

Edit: I just checked his list of signings since coming back second time and actually the ones I mentioned above are really the only expensive flops. The rest were either bosmans or loan signings that all contributed and there are a fair few that we sold on for a profit..... So you have a point GCL. I retract my above comment

There are plenty players out there than can be snapped up on the cheap or, as some have said, Bosmans. Why we fail to exploit that part of the market is beyond me. Someone posted a link to the available Bosman's this summer and there are some really good players on there, so much so you could get 5 or 6 players that would improve the squad greatly, and all it would cost is a signing on fee and wages, and as a result very little of the £5mill is used.

We also have to continue to bring through good young players a la Ness, Wylde Hutton etc and trust them to perform, these guys could have handsome sell on value if they were to move on.

Lastly we have be smarter with our scouting, unfortunately the tarriers have been successful picking up decent quality for little outlay, we need to be as cute. This is gonna require better scouting and looking far and wide. These sort of signings sometimes open other commercial opportunities which could benefit the club.

He probably meant 5 first team signings. That wont include if we sold Boogie etc.

Personally i think we need

2 x CH

1 x LB

1 x CM

1 x RW

1 x LW

1 x CF

7 players in total plus some squad players

GCL I admire your ongoing support of WS, he deserves all the plaudits but you cannot argue that Velicka, Beattie, Webster, Lafferty at 3.5 million, Edu at 2.5 million, Rothen, etc have been a good use of the money spent. I am a big supporter of Walter and in his second spell he has signed some gems, (Weir, Davis, Jelavic, etc.) but the fact cannot be ignored he has also signed some duds and wasted a fair bit of cash in so doing

Edit: I just checked his list of signings since coming back second time and actually the ones I mentioned above are really the only expensive flops. The rest were either bosmans or loan signings that all contributed and there are a fair few that we sold on for a profit..... So you have a point GCL. I retract my above comment

a manager who signs players that don't work out...so the will make walter the same as every other manager in the world. Do the good outweigh the bad, yes, is the squad he built massively succesful, yes....what is the debate here again....

I just read your 2nd paragraph after writing my 1st.....retraction accepted..... ;):D

5 players is more than enough. A new owner does not mean we abandon our recent nature of keeping the squad compact and boosting it with players from our youth team. We don't need a Celtic-esque squad of 30 players, where about 8 of them (Juarez, Cha, Ljungberg, McGinn, Murphy, Cervi etc) never get near the team

(tu)

you can make morinho look like a tit if you only focus on his failures.

its a strange thing to do but people on here seem to love doing it.

We certainly don't want to be like the mhanky mob, www.webuyanyplayer.com i hope we bring in whats needed and keep the budget maintainable. It's already been proven that a 30 player squad isn't worth it financially.

Try to keep who we have, replace who ever decides to leave & some loan signings if need be. I just don't understand why ppl want to go out and blow huge amounts just because we have a new owner. Its that idealistic's that got us into the position we've been in for the past few seasons.