Spurs Reject 22 Million From Chelsea For Modric

The formal offer was rejected by Tottenham Hotspur within two hours, but the Stamford Bridge side are expected to return with improved terms imminently.

Abramovich is desperate to add more creativity to Chelsea’s midfield and reduce the average age of the club’s squad, leading the Russian and his coterie of advisers to identify the Croatian international as their priority transfer target.

Chelsea’s owner is determined to press ahead with the signing despite the fact that he is yet to appoint a replacement for manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Modric has confirmed in recent weeks that Spurs’ failure to retain their Champions League status came as a substantial blow to his ambitions and it is believed Harry Redknapp and Daniel Levy, White Hart Lane’s manager and chairman, now face a fierce battle to hold on to their prize asset.

Source

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/8578385/Chelsea-make-22m-bid-for-Tottenham-Hotspur-midfielder-Luka-Modric.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a piss-take considering the sums of money changing hands for untested English youngsters these days.

Then again, how depressing is it that £22m can be considered a derisory bid for a football player? :anguish:

if henderson is worth 20 million then modric is worth at least £40 million

At least £60m for me!

Not saying he is worth £60m right enough but for me he is a fantastic player. Love him

The EPL is a law into itself now

Ridiculous sums of money for average players

Jesus Christ , what would bryan robson , lothar matheus , Socrates etc be going for nowadays If 19 yr olds who haven't even saw a full season or a full international cap go for £20m

I'm sick of it all tbh

Guys like my dad can't afford to go and watch the games live now and he was brought up going to the games as all your dads did when it was a real working mans game

It's not our game anymore , it's the corporate and sponsors game

A bit of a piss-take considering the sums of money changing hands for untested English youngsters these days.

Then again, how depressing is it that £22m can be considered a derisory bid for a football player? :anguish:

Too right, your eyebrow would raise at that kind of cash a few years ago. It seems standard now

Is it just me or has Modric over his time with Spurs not performed consistently as he should? granted I have not seen too much of Tottenham.22 million is a lot of money but considering Andy Carol 35m ect perhaps it is the over inflated going rate.

It's impossible to even guess transfer prices nowadays with EPL Clubs.

There are so many factors that make the price fluctuate nowadays.

Age, potential, nationality ect.

dont forget that the likes of phil jones and jordan henderson have been bought for their future potential

when man united bought smalling for 10mill, everyone laughed, but if he continues playing and improving the way he has he will be next in line for international honours once the current crop retire

so effectively man united have potentially bought a future england centre half for 10mill, which is a helluva lot less than the 30mill they paid for ferdinand

clubs like man united and liverpool are buying potential,

i do believe however that modric is an absolute gem of a player, but he needs a creative manager at chelsea if he goes there, redknapp was good for him because 'arry likes free flowing, "we'll score more than you" type of football

The EPL is a law into itself now

Ridiculous sums of money for average players

Jesus Christ , what would bryan robson , lothar matheus , Socrates etc be going for nowadays If 19 yr olds who haven't even saw a full season or a full international cap go for £20m

I'm sick of it all tbh

Guys like my dad can't afford to go and watch the games live now and he was brought up going to the games as all your dads did when it was a real working mans game

It's not our game anymore , it's the corporate and sponsors game

Aye, but the money wasn't there back then so obviously they weren't going to be purchased for that.

The money only becomes obscene when clubs can't afford it, and Liverpool CAN afford £20m for Henderson, Man City CAN afford £400k a week for anyone and Chelsea certainly CAN afford £40m for Modric.