scottish players in the olympic GB team

Scottish players will be involved in Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic football tournament.

This is the message from The British Olympic Association who are hopeful an agreement will be reached to pick players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - which will legitimise their team.

BOA chief executive Andy Hunt says teams will include Scots including the likes of Charlie Adam and Alan Hutton - and Julie Fleeting, for the women - and get a chance to play for Olympic gold.

But Hunt indicated that failure to secure an agreement could mean the BOA deciding not to enter teams for fear of breaching Olympic anti-discrimination rules.

"I am incredibly positive that we will get to an outcome where we will field a men's and a women's football team.”

"I have been at this for over two years," Hunt told Inside the Games.

The sticking point has been the caution exercised by the SFA, and Welsh and Northern Irish football associations to sanction the selection of their players.

Fears exist about a dilution of power within world football governance - the loss of the FIFA vice-presidency guaranteed to one of the four home associations and their places on the International FA board - as well as pressure to unite permanently as Great Britain.

However, there is no law stopping a player from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland making themselves available for selection.

And Hunt's optimism is tempered by a warning that an English-only Great Britain team might see the BOA fall foul of International Olympic Committee rules.

"Any policy that is discriminatory would be in breach of the Olympic Charter - it's as simple as that," Hunt said.

"That's why it was never acceptable to us to have a selection policy that may have only been for English players."

The SFA have also been vociferous in their opposition to a team GB football including Scots at the Olympics.

charlie adam and alan hutton....no players who actually play in scotland.

im against us putting players in it

If it was Team GB instead of home nations, in my honest, non-bias opinion:

McGregor is better than Hart

Hutton is better than Johnson

Adam could probably get a game in midfield

What are the rules for the Olympics though? Under 23?

If it was Team GB instead of home nations, in my honest, non-bias opinion:

McGregor is better than Hart

Hutton is better than Johnson

Adam could probably get a game in midfield

What are the rules for the Olympics though? Under 23?

i think it is under 23, the problem is, it will just be an english team with maybe a couple of welsh, scottish or northern irish players, probably gareth bale.

although if england make the euros it might limit the number of english in it.

I'm all for entering a British team only for the Olympics. I understand the objections but i highly douby our national leagues would be in jeopardy and if worst comes to worst it means Rangers/Celtic playing in the Premiership after all. :P

I would quite like to see this TBH. I know it's only for under-23s, but you can have 2/3 older players I think.

Surely McGregor would be a candidate for an over-23 player, as he is IMO the best British keeper. Also, other than Sturridge the young English strikers are dire so perhaps Goodwillie would be in with a shout.

They should have to have an equal amount of players from each state to make it fair.

say 6 from 3 states and 5 from another to make a team of 23.

What a silly idea.

It should include the 23 best players.

Which imo would include maybe 5 or 6 non English players. (which would be 20-30%, more than our fair share based on relative populations of each country)

Imagine the BOC having to select a Scotsman, an Englishman, an Ulsterman and a Welshman for the 4x4 100m relay <cr>

What a silly idea.

It should include the 23 best players.

Which imo would include maybe 5 or 6 non English players. (which would be 20-30%, more than our fair share based on relative populations of each country)

Imagine the BOC having to select a Scotsman, an Englishman, an Ulsterman and a Welshman for the 4x4 100m relay <cr>

Why?

If the pick the 23 best players then about 20 of them will be English. Possibly 2 from Scotland, 1 from Wales and 0 from N.I.

Mayaswell call it the English Olympic Team.

Fleck, Wilson, Ness, Bannan, Goodwillie, Hutton, Wylde, Fyvie..........

Haven't got a chance mate, not ahead of Delfouneso, Welbeck, McEachran, Bale, Chamberlain, Henderson, Albrighton, Sturridge, Wickham, Rodwell, or Victor Moses.

I do feel that Ness is actually good enough to contend with the above... But it'll be an Englishman that picks the team.

I have no idea why anyone would be against Scottish U-23 players playing for GB in the Olympics.

Literally, no idea whatsoever. Unless it's just thinly veiled ignorance.

(tu)

Haven't got a chance mate, not ahead of Delfouneso, Welbeck, McEachran, Bale, Chamberlain, Henderson, Albrighton, Sturridge, Wickham, Rodwell, or Victor Moses.

I do feel that Ness is actually good enough to contend with the above... But it'll be an Englishman that picks the team.

I thought Sir Awex wanted to coach them? Surely he will be biased, like he is with Fletcher.

I would love for their to be a G.B team that included players from all the home countries. Hutton and Adam (as over-age players) would have a chance and Bannan could make it if he has a good season. There are not too many top class under 23's in England just now so if the likes of Wylde or Ness play for us in Europe they may have a small chance.

Alot of the events at the olympics are pretty boring (although I appreciate much of the fun of it is watching sports you wouldn't otherwise) and a G.B football team playing against the likes of Brazil and Argentina would generate alot of interest. Especially if the likes of Beckham play.