Steven Whittaker

JCS

like most of you I have been following the Whittaker 'saga' wth considerable interest. Will he sign a new contract and stay, or will be join Kenny Miller at Bursaspor?

Let me say at the outset that I have never been a Steven Whittaker fan. The rare flashes of skill he shows going forward are far outweighed by the times I have cringed at his schoolboy defending. In my opinion he is a liability in defence and a luxury going forward.

However, the thing that angered me most was the rumour (and I stress rumour!) that he has been offered a salary in the region of 22k a week.

If that is true, then it raises serious concerns about the judgement of those at Ibrox - Ally chief among them.

Whilst it is imperative that we retain our top players, I do not see Whittaker in that 'bracket'. Steve Davis certainly; Bougherra as well - if he commits to Rangers, but not Whittaker.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I never knew we had two Whittakers at the team mate :craphead:

Seriously though i see the sun are saying that Rangers think he may sign a new deal this week. I would like him to stay but no way should he be breaking the 20kp/w mark

like most of you I have been following the Whittaker 'saga' wth considerable interest. Will he sign a new contract and stay, or will be join Kenny Miller at Bursaspor?

Let me say at the outset that I have never been a Steven Whittaker fan. The rare flashes of skill he shows going forward are far outweighed by the times I have cringed at his schoolboy defending. In my opinion he is a liability in defence and a luxury going forward.

However, the thing that angered me most was the rumour (and I stress rumour!) that he has been offered a salary in the region of 22k a week.

If that is true, then it raises serious concerns about the judgement of those at Ibrox - Ally chief among them.

Whilst it is imperative that we retain our top players, I do not see Whittaker in that 'bracket'. Steve Davis certainly; Bougherra as well - if he commits to Rangers, but not Whittaker.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I agree completely with your statement.There have been very few games where I would consider that he should get pass marks; terrible positional sense,poor judgement,passing and consistent lack of concentration in defensive areas.Going forward he looks better until he tries to cross a ball and he tends to fail to have the pace to track back. His limitations have been masked over the last few seasons by the unselfish covering done by Davis.People say that he should play in midfield but I think he is even more like a fish out of water there not knowing when or whether to track back or go forward; versatility has to be linked with competence.

Name me any Rangers player in recent years who has turned down more money elsewhere? If Bougherra could get more money elsewhere (or if anybody wanted him of course) he'd be gone. Same for Steve Davis. The fact that Whittaker seems to actually be considering a deal from us is indeed a first, ie Miller, Boyd etc etc. I doubt very much if we've offered him anything like the 20k + that's been quoted on here. Hope he stays.

Go. Offer Hutton the 20k if he is going for nothing from Spurs.

No doubt it would break the team morale wage stucture, id much rather match whatever Hutton's being paid at Spurs (35k-40k id reckon), then punt Whitty to Turkey. He isnt worth more than 10k. Cant handle Celtic or any Euro team. His positioning is absolutley brutal at times.

No doubt it would break the team morale wage stucture, id much rather match whatever Hutton's being paid at Spurs (35k-40k id reckon), then punt Whitty to Turkey. He isnt worth more than 10k. Cant handle Celtic or any Euro team. His positioning is absolutley brutal at times.

How would it? I think Hutton would be a key player for us again. He would merit the 20k that Whitts does not.

No. He's a very average player at best, inconsistent and rarely stops balls coming in the box. Sell him, he'll be back at Hibs in a few years if he does leave.