Papac Or Wallace At Left Back?

Broxi1872

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you play at left back?

• Papac
    • Wallace

Even with Lee Wallace/Papac as Left Back choices and Papac/Goian/Juhasz/Weir all as choices in the centre, that leaves Whittaker/Broadarse as Right sided options and I'd rather we found some way to replace those bomb scares. What's the story with Goian or Juhasz playing in and out of their preferred positions?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

papac he has done absolutely nothing wrong to be replaced. In fact he has been our most consistent player for years

before i start here, i do rate papac. Considering he switched position at such a late stage in his career he has been superb, he gets forward fairly well, but this is his faults and why Wallace should play ahead of him. When the ball is on his wing he never look sure of which direction to force his attacker so ends up backing off and lets players run at us (ie. That Caley goal at Inverness. Just saying that because i think thats the most memorable goal) He IS a good tackler, infact, excellent tackler, but this the main reason he should be dropped, the amount of goals we lose at his post is shocking, i wish i had actual stats ( if anyone can get them that would be amazing) because i believe around a quarter of ALL our goals come at that post. When the ball come down our right wing Papac he goes straight back to his natural defending instincts - centre bk. He gets sucked so far in (he also the worst ball watcher i have ever seen, honestly.) that the space where he should be is occupied by a right bk or right winger or both! We are so exposed when it happens, its the weakest part of our team imo. Alot of it can, and should be blamed on Whittaker and Bougherra, but i just know this wouldnt be nowhere near as big a problem with a natural left back in there. Once Wallace settles, he will be ours and Scotlands first choice left back. I very highly rate him. Best left back Scotland has produced since tom boyd.

Wallace for me.

I know people people are saying 'what has he done wrong' , 'he doesnt deserve to be dropped' etc, but - he has been playing average for a long time now. He sails under the radar every game by not doing very much wrong but then again, never excelling either. If thats your reason for wanting him to be in the team, then thank god you are not managers.

My reason for picking Wallace over Papac is that I feel Wallace offers so much more. Hes faster, more physical, has a great delivery and can run all day long. He is basically an overall better player, and thats what I want in the Rangers team, not just picking players for their consistently average performances.

Nothing against Papac, but he is distinctively average and should be producing the goods more often than he does.

IMO we didnt need to spend 1.5 million on a left back when we already had a left back now ally has a sore head deciding between our most consistent player and his new signing. Should have Spent the money better. PAPAC 5 x

This is the problem. Papac was, in my opinion, our best player against Hearts. He had a great season last year and has been solid for us for what seems like forever.

Now we've spent £1.5m on a replacement for a position we're already strong in. I hope Wallace moves up to LM and is there to drop back if Papac gets injured/suspended.

Papac doesn't deserve to be out of our team. He is one of the big unsung heroes of the 3IAR.

I'm shocked at the amount of people saying Wallace here!

Papac has been totally consistent for us for a good few seasons now. Mr Reliable. Why drop him for someone who, as far as I'm concerned, is a totally useless defender?

Plus, we're about to play St. Johnstone. Drop Papac, are you mad? Hattrick.

Maybe Coisty has a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-1-2 up his sleeve with Cuellar, Goian, Papac at the back and Whittaker & Wallace as wing backs?

Wouldn't be adverse to at least trying it, but with 3 of our 5 new signings (inc the triallist) right wingers/midfielders, maybe not.

McGregor

Cuellar Goian Papac

Whittaker Ortiz McCullloch Davis Wallace

Jelavic Naismith

Maybe Coisty has a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-1-2 up his sleeve with Cuellar, Goian, Papac at the back and Whittaker & Wallace as wing backs?

Wouldn't be adverse to at least trying it, but with 3 of our 5 new signings (inc the triallist) right wingers/midfielders, maybe not.

McGregor

Cuellar Goian Papac

Whittaker Ortiz McCullloch Davis Wallace

Jelavic Naismith

Everything you've just said :anguish:

Wallace is a better LB and as others have said move Papac into CB. Although it could be interesting if, as is being reported, we get Bartley back on loan.

Whittaker Boughera Bartley Wallace across the back could be good.

Never really been convinced by Wallace. Dont Know why we spent the money on him when Papac does the job required and were struggling to buy Goodwillie. Hope he proves me wrong,but i can see a position whereby we end up playing papac at full back and Wallace in midfield to accomodate them both. and hes definately not a midfield player imo

Papac has been our most consistant player for 4 or 5 seasons & has took concusion twice to stop the other team scoring.

Papac was offered a one year extension for his efforts meanwhile whittaler gets offered a 5 year deal, costs us 2 goals in two game...

yes, papac has been treated disgracefully particularly in regard to his contract this year. rangers, uncharacteristically, showed very little class in this respect.

that being said, i think wallace is rangers left back - that's why he was bought.

it was fuckin clear in the malmo game that larsson is too fast for both weir and bougherra. and if something is not done about it in the next game then we are well and truly fucked.

i'd drop weir and play papac, not at CB or LB but as sweeper. that would allow bougherra to commit on larsson aggressively and if he gets by him, papac, as you've accurately pointed is fast and good enough to stop him.

if ortiz is on the left side, and ally obviously likes him there i think its a mistake to play papac at LB because ortiz cuts a lot inside - which is more suitable for wallace's game. if ortiz is not on the left then i think there is more of a chance of papac geting a game at LB.

with our small squad papac is a great player to have available, i think the reality for him this year, though, is as a utility player at LB and CB - but an important one.

he should have been given a two year contract at least for his service - considering the money they've handed out to others, particularly whittacker.

Only thing I'm not sure of or don't agree with is the first two lines of your last paragraph - I think Ally's going for a 3-5-2 and Wallace will be LWB.

I could be wrong but it's looking that way with the attempted signings of 3 CB's.

It would make sense as Whittakers unchallanged for right-back yet he can't defend, he's good going forward though - wallace and whittaker wing backs in the 3-5-2? would make more sense that putting wallace at left back and whittaker at right back.

It then again may just be a long term plan to replace papac in his "CB" years and preparing for Bougherra and Weir being no more?

I suspect we'll see both formations at different times but should we bring in the Anderlecht boy and Cuellar - the prospect of a 3-5-2 starts to look tastey.

Especially if we bring in Verhoek to join bedoya in a new look midfield.

Ally's building long term in the first few months of his first season - I only wish our support could see it.

The Bosnian Bomber should get a testimonial btw in my opinion as he's been a first class servent out of the shambles that was the LeGuen era.

i think what you are saying is a real possibility also; whatever he's planned, his most critical strategy is stopping larsson - especially on break aways when we are committing ourself for the goal we need.

and, fuck yes, a testimonial for papac is the least we can do for his services.

I'm shocked at the amount of people saying Wallace here!

Papac has been totally consistent for us for a good few seasons now. Mr Reliable. Why drop him for someone who, as far as I'm concerned, is a totally useless defender?

Plus, we're about to play St. Johnstone. Drop Papac, are you mad? Hattrick.

Consistantly average.