David Weir to stay on until next summer...

Frankie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish and minstral, if you have seen any of our games this year then you will know that as soon as we got weir in the side all the crazy goals we were leaking under PLG stopped. He wins everything in the air, no more crosses caquse panic in our defence. You guys are off your head slaggin him off. He has been a great success and our best signing of the season by far.

Absolutely (tu)

Calm down fellas. Think a few people are interpreting things wrongly.

The majority of people are happy Weir has signed on for another year, as am I. If Walter had funds and could attract much better quality I would be pretty pissed off he has signed Weir, but that is not the case. Murray is not giving him funds therefore he has to work with what he has and Weir is definitely a good signing when you consider walter's circumstances.

This does not mean anyone has higher standards than me. I just do not expect Walter to sign the next Richard Gough with what he has.

I personally think it is bad news..........It shows that SDM is not willing to invest heavily in the squad in the Summer and would rather sign a 37 year old in Dave Weir, a injury prone defender in Webster and 2 raw talents in Broadfoot and Gow instead of releasing funds to bring in some real quality.

I am beginning to dread the Summer........ Who will we replace Dado with? who will we bring into midfield?

I personally think it is bad news..........It shows that SDM is not willing to invest heavily in the squad in the Summer and would rather sign a 37 year old in Dave Weir, a injury prone defender in Webster and 2 raw talents in Broadfoot and Gow instead of releasing funds to bring in some real quality.

I am beginning to dread the Summer........ Who will we replace Dado with? who will we bring into midfield?

Why so worried about Dado?his contribution on the field this season has been,well "not an awful lot" to put it mildly.Where as David Weir's contribution has turned our season around. (tu)

Brilliant news (tu)

Not just for on the park but off it too and for the youth and younger players.

Think he and Webster can form a great partnership.

I want to be a winner

Speaks volumes about the guy, a leader and a true winner!

if weir can do a job in the SPL next season or provide great cover, wouldnt you rather we spend what money we have if any on other areas? no doubt defence needs improved and i hope it will be but with webster maybe signing weir broadfoot and papac getting an extended run. i can see our defence staying the way it is.

i feel this shows a total lack of ambition for our club unless a younger version of him is comming into the team and he is there as a teaching role for the younger signings

A dont think it shows a lack of ambition he has been rock solid for us and also think that David Weir is perfect player to learn from hes played in the Premiership, he still plays for Scotland and he has experience which he can pass onto the younger players like Svensson, Broadfoot, Perry etc etc who can only learn from him

It's no coincidence that the amount of soft goals we've conceded has dropped considerably since Davie Weir and Ugo Ehiogu signed up. They might not be the most glamourous footballers around but they do a solid job, that's for sure.

It's no coincidence that the amount of soft goals we've conceded has dropped considerably since Davie Weir and Ugo Ehiogu signed up. They might not be the most glamourous footballers around but they do a solid job, that's for sure.

Its also no coincidence that playing a 4-2-3-1 in most games and the full team shutting up shop and playing for a 1-0 win has contributed to us not conceeding many sloppy goals either.

If you play dull, unadventurous, boring, lacklasture football with no real tempo and commit fouls all over the park, allowing 9 men (Exception Kris boyd) to get behind the ball and defend so deep, then you are going to sneak games and conceed very little.

Yes Dave Weir can defend, But if we open up (Which we will be expecting next season) and he gets isolated against good, fast, strong players..... Do you feel confident that he will be able to nulify the threat?

I dont......

he was found out in europe this term , so itll be no diffrent next term in that aspect .

still a good player for spl fodder. but can be found out aswell at times.. due to tiredness.

old heids are good for morale and bonding , but old legs aint.

the georgia / scotland game was another instance.

I don't think anyone is suggesting David Weir is the best defender in the world. There is no doubt he has his faults and the pace/quality of the European competitions can leave him exposed.

However in terms of his character, experience and ability; those 3 virtues will help the likes of Svensson, Hutton, Smith, Webster and even McGregor who are all under 25. Even Ian Murray (26)and Sasa Papac (27) lack genuine high-level experience and will benefit from Weir presence.

For free and minimal wages, he's a very useful acquisition.

I don't think anyone is suggesting David Weir is the best defender in the world. There is no doubt he has his faults and the pace/quality of the European competitions can leave him exposed.

However in terms of his character, experience and ability; those 3 virtues will help the likes of Svensson, Hutton, Smith, Webster and even McGregor who are all under 25. Even Ian Murray (26)and Sasa Papac (27) lack genuine high-level experience and will benefit from Weir presence.

Finally a voice of reason!

Do you think at his age he's going to last 2 months without an injury ? Super optimist you are ! We need a big no nonsense centre half P D Q ?

Completley agree. Even if he doesn't feature in every game, his general presence around MP will only do good. Everyone needs someone to aspire to.

:)

Much rather see even a 40 year old Davie Weir play than Papac or Svensson.

(tu)

Anyone slagging of weir is mad. First quality CH we have had since Boum. It would cost something like 3+ million to bring in a replacement for the man.