I don’t do walki-Ng away

rangersxfc

By KENNY McALPINE and PAUL THORNTON

THIS is the millionaire mystery man who has vowed to bring the Euro glory days back to Rangers — IF he gets the go-ahead to snap up the crisis-hit club.

Singapore tycoon and lifelong Gers fan Bill Ng’s money-bags consortium are in pole position to rescue the stricken giants.

And last night the Far East businessman — who as a kid watched in awe as Gers landed the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1972 — revealed he won’t rest until another little lad watches his favourites lift another European crown.

The ex-stockbroker — whose nickname in the city was said to be BILLY BOY — is understood to have a personal fortune of £40million and also owns Singapore S-League club Hougang United.

In a pledge similar to Gers boss Ally McCoist’s defiant vow, “We don’t do walking away”, he promised his £20million bid would stand firm even if the club’s £130million debts kept rising.

And he added he would NOT become Rangers chairman if his bid is successful, instead appointing Scottish businessmen on to his board to help run the club.

Ng said: “My mission will be accomplished when another young boy watches Rangers lift a European trophy.

“My mentors taught me to shut up, don’t show off or blow hot air. I’m from the old school of thinking where you don’t conduct business in public.”

He added: “This is a chance to put Singapore on the world football map. We’re not just doing this for financial reasons.

“If we take over Rangers, we’ve got plans that will positively impact on Singapore football in the long run.

“Our population size is quite similar to Scotland’s so there’s plenty for us to learn from them in terms of football development.

“Rangers have 140 years of proud history and are the stuff of Scottish legends.

“It is not right for me to take over as chairman.

“I have already lined up a board of directors made up of Scottish businessmen to take over instead. I will still be involved with Hougang United.”

Ng’s defiant words came as Rangers administrators Duff and Phelps were last night expected to name him preferred bidder — after the Blue Knights, led by ex-Gers director Paul Murray, scrapped their offer.

He will now have a fortnight to strike a deal — which will bring £20million to the table — with creditors and current shamed owner Craig Whyte.

The businessman — who likes to conduct deals in secrecy — stunned fans when he broke cover to claim he’d been a Gers fan since the 1972 triumph.

And with very little known about him, supporters are worried given the nightmare they suffered under Whyte. He was billed as a BILLIONAIRE by his PR team before buying predecessor Sir David Murray’s stake in the club for £1 last May.

Last night a Rangers Supporters Trust spokesman said: “We don’t really know anything about Bill Ng and that’s an issue.

“If he’s serious about buying our club, it’s about time he comes out and reveals a bit more of himself and his consortium to the support. The sooner he does the better.

“We supported Paul Murray and The Blue Knights because there was transparency.

“But we WILL back Bill Ng if he is up front and his bid is in the interests of the club with the fans having a say.

“What we can’t ever have again is an unaccountable person like Sir David Murray running the club.”

Singapore journalist Sanjay Nair insists that Ng’s affection for Gers IS genuine.

He said: “I have spoken to friends close to him and they maintain this guy has a lifelong passion for Rangers.

“He said if Rangers doesn’t work out he is not going to move to purchase another football club.”

And he believes Ng has the Midas touch in business AND sport.

He said: “Before he took over Hougang United they were the perennial cellar dwellers. Within a year they reached the Singapore League Cup final.”

And he said of Ng’s Rangers bid: “He insists from day one it’s fully backed — £20million — not borrowing on anything.

“Even when there were reports debts were going to rise to past £130million he told me, ‘No, my bid stays firm’.

“Every time I speak to him he tells me, ‘I can’t wait for the day I can speak to Ally McCoist to discuss transfer signings’.

“I feel the passion in him. He’s a Rangers man through and through.”

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4263227/Tycoon-I-dont-do-walki-Ng-away.html#ixzz1sLiOPrPV

Ah! the all powerful rst.smile.gif

As much as they deserve criticism from time to time, I think those doubting Ng's credentials should absorb what the RST as well as people like Alistair Johnston and respected Asian journalists are saying about this consortium.

Yes, they've made a few fanciful comments in their domestic press but generally speaking it's good to know their bid appears serious and has the kind of unencumbered funding that is required to turn the club around.

As much as they deserve criticism from time to time, I think those doubting Ng's credentials should absorb what the RST as well as people like Alistair Johnston and respected Asian journalists are saying about this consortium.

Yes, they've made a few fanciful comments in their domestic press but generally speaking it's good to know their bid appears serious and has the kind of unencumbered funding that is required to turn the club around.

I have bought into the Ng deal for a while and have liked his comments of keeping ones mouth shut when doing business. I do believe rst will be moving heaven and earth to make best buddies with this man...yes I have a thing about rst and have given my views many times on here and it would take a complete clear out for me to change my views.

My thoughts and they are mine I hasten to add , is that I think the rst is an irrelevance to the proceedings of a new owner for the club.

My comment on johnston was based on his " contacts in the States and Singapore hav e ssaid he is a genuine guy" why o why did he not ask these contacts years ago when he was charged with finding a new owner for the club. No stone and all that.

I have bought into the Ng deal for a while and have liked his comments of keeping ones mouth shut when doing business. I do believe rst will be moving heaven and earth to make best buddies with this man...yes I have a thing about rst and have given my views many times on here and it would take a complete clear out for me to change my views.

My thoughts and they are mine I hasten to add , is that I think the rst is an irrelevance to the proceedings of a new owner for the club.

My comment on johnston was based on his " contacts in the States and Singapore hav e ssaid he is a genuine guy" why o why did he not ask these contacts years ago when he was charged with finding a new owner for the club. No stone and all that.

Don't disagree mate.

As much as our fans should have a part to play we're largely impotent with respect to who buys the club. Yes, our goodwill may be considered important and our opinions may affect D&P occasionally but if A, B or C want to buy the club they'll do so regardless of what you or I think.

Of course the success of their purchase is dependent on us thereafter so it makes sense for any bidder to have dialogue with the fans going forward.

Don't disagree mate.

As much as our fans should have a part to play we're largely impotent with respect to who buys the club. Yes, our goodwill may be considered important and our opinions may affect D&P occasionally but if A, B or C want to buy the club they'll do so regardless of what you or I think.

Of course the success of their purchase is dependent on us thereafter so it makes sense for any bidder to have dialogue with the fans going forward.

In agreement with all you say.

Re fans yes we need to have to be told the new owners views on the way forward, common courtesy never mind we will be our clubs biggest income source as it stands.

We all talk about to many governing bodies.saf/spl and sfl and that we should have one body, well i happen to believe it should be the same with the various fan groups under the one umbrella. Now that would give strength to the fans. Alas egos and self interest rules the roost with certain sections.

A spokesman from rst said it is time Ng and his people made it clear about their bid and who is involved, yet I am still in the dark as to what min and the tbk are all about re whose who and what is their full package.

If this continues the rst will be to the various bidders as paul mcride was to Scottish politics (always try to finish with a bit of humour)

Our fan groups are under one umbrella - the Assembly.

Unfortunately, as well-intentioned as their board are, I think it's weak and doesn't do anywhere near enough for our support. Obviously its 'official' status may limit it in that respect so it's probably best we do have an independent body as well which can do the 'dirty' work.

Generally, our fans are under-represented and that needs to change when the club is bought. There are a number of ways to do that and we should be lobbying for it.

Billy Ng opens up a bit and ppl start to jump on him,no wonder he wants to keep things quiet :rolleyes: If he pulls out who's left? the Americans,I've worked for US companies and all that matters is the mighty dollar,nothing else,not fans,not history,nothing.If Ng and CO buy the Club,he will want to sell us in the far east,a huge area and populous for commercial development of Rangers FC.All I'm saying is give the guy a chance,time will tell.