Transfers

While Gareth Bale seems to edge ever closer to a world-record transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid, officials at Southampton must be wincing at the thought of missing out on a bumper windfall.

Bale left St Mary's to sign for Tottenham in 2007 for £5 million, plus £5m in potential add-ons, and a sell-on clause guaranteeing Southampton 25% of any future transfer away from White Hart Lane.

But the Saints renegotiated the deal when they found themselves in financial difficulties in 2008, accepting £3m to waive any future income from Bale, whose proposed transfer to Real Madrid is anticipated to break the £80m record the Spanish giants paid for Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009.

The prospect of missing out on £20m or more may sting, but the move did at least help to secure Southampton's future. The club was bought and had its debt cleared in 2009, sparking a rise from League One to the Premier League.

And there's always Theo Walcott - Southampton still have a similar clause in place should the Arsenal forward ever leave the Emirates.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/226447.html#eiT52iPYBMJtP3EP.99

Not surprised by the fhilth again ,

Celtic unsettled Lee Tomlin during game, says Darren Ferguson

Peterborough United have accused Celtic of unsettlingstriker Lee Tomlin on the day Posh lost their first game of the season.

The 24-year-old was substituted at half-time during the 2-0 home defeat by Crawley Town in League One.

Posh manager Darren Ferguson said: "I can confirm that Celtic have made a bid on the day of a game - three times.

"In fact, they made one bid during the game. It completely unsettled my player, but he's going nowhere."

I used to be a Celtic fan. Not after today! What a day”

Darragh MacAnthonyPeterborough United manager

Celtic were looking to add another forward player despite securing the transfer of Finland striker Teemu Pukki from Schalke 04 earlier in the morning.

They were hoping to bolster their attacking options having progressed to the Champions League group stage with their midweek victory over Shakhter Karagandy.

But, with the Scottish transfer window closing at midnight, two days before their counterparts in England, Celtic's interest is now dead.

"If that's how they do their business, a big club like Celtic, then so be it," Ferguson told the BBC.

"It's completely unsettled him clearly in his performance, but he's not for sale, so they can bid as much as they want."

Ferguson was not laying any blame at the door of the player, who joined Peterborough from Rushden & Diamonds in 2010.

"I'm not being critical of Lee at all," he said.

"We want to get out of this league, Lee's a very good player, but he's been clearly ill-advised about this again.

"Any player who has left this club, it's never been the first bid."

Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony waded in with more criticism of Celtic on Twitter.

"I used to be a Celtic fan. Not after today! What a day," he said.

I thought he retired years ago. :lol:

To be fair I thought the same!

How old is he now? They must be quite desperate.

38, cant be real. It was on Wikipedia that I saw it right enough, had a wee look online and couldnt see anything. Someone must be at it :lol: