Bocanegra will quit if asked to take another pay cut

Carlos Bocanegra last night warned Rangers' administrators he will quit the stricken club if asked to accept another wage cut.

The American international defender is one of a raft of first-team players who agreed to cut up to 75 per cent from their salaries in order to keep the club alive.

With the Ibrox wage bill set to return to normal levels a week today, however, there are real fears of a first-team exodus unless the Charles Green consortium dig deep to fund a cash shortfall.

Urging administrators Duff & Phelps to sort out the mess, Bocanegra has a year to run on his contract and insists he would love to stay at the club under new owners.

Launching an outspoken attack on the actions of the discredited Craig Whyte, however, he won't tolerate being asked to renegotiate his existing deal for a second time in four months.

'I won't take another pay cut,' said the defender. ahead of Saturday's friendly international clash with Scotland.

'Hopefully, it will all be sorted out. That was a big decision for all the players to take - it wasn't just me.

'Everybody made a sacrifice and losing the 10 points knocked the wind out of us.

'Obviously you come to a club expecting a guaranteed contract. Then you have to change it and that's an unfortunate circumstance.

'But I still don't regret coming because I am really enjoying the club.

'That part (the wage cut) is a bit frustrating, but you have got to get on with it and luckily it was a short period of time, three months.

'So, hopefully, it will all be sorted mid-June and we can move forward and put that behind us.'

Green's consortium say they have the £8.5million in place to complete the Company Voluntary Arrangement with creditors.

Despite notice of a creditors meeting expected to be issued by Duff & Phelps today, hopes of a CVA being done by the target date of June 6 look optimistic.

Insisting he will give the new group every chance to keep him at the club despite the imposition of a 12-month transfer embargo, Bocanegra added: 'I haven't read anything about what is happening for a while. But apparently a consortium are buying it, so as long as they are not asking us again to take pay cuts I have no reason to want to go.'

Asked for his feelings on Whyte, the owner who - together with Sir David Murray - shares the burden of blame for the destruction of a Scottish institution, Bocanegra was scathing, accusing the venture capitalist of 'preying' on the club.

'Obviously, it's a horrible situation to be in,' he said. 'I'm not going to say exactly how I feel standing here. There would be quite a lot of expletives if I did.

'But it's too bad that there are people out there who take advantage and prey on other people. That's frustrating because it means taking someone's livelihood. We are footballers and, hopefully, we will find another job.

'But there are people in the front office or groundsmen or people like that who maybe can't pay rent next month.

'So that's where where you realise that someone's greed is going to affect so many people and yet they don't care. I don't know how someone can be like that.'

Bocanegra had only limited dealings with Whyte recalling: 'He came to the locker room one time and told us we were in administration. That was it.'

In the aftermath of administration in February, various parties - including countryman Bill Miller - declared an interest in buying the club.

And the American international was shaken by the 'Go Home Yank' banners which prompted the trucking tycoon to walk away.

'That could have had bad repercussions, but what do you say? A few people did that and it hurt a lot of people,' the American admitted.

'For sure, even myself being American and seeing banners in the stand saying, "Go Home Yank" was unfortunate - but I know it's not the feeling of the entire Scottish country.

'It's a minority of people and that stuff happens.

'The past few months have been more of a downer because of the situation.

'But I'm not disappointed because, hopefully, it will all be resolved and there will be the chance to win the league if we don't start with a deduction this year and qualify for the Champions League.

'I am in the final year of my contract and that would be cool.'

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't considered the impact that banner might have had on the American players before. I was against it anyway, but i wonder how much things like that affect them?

Can understand his point totaly. It would be so sad to lose Boca, hes 1 of our leaders on and off the pitch and we need that. Sad to see that the anti-Miller brigade made him feel that :(

No doubt the anti-Miller protesting bunch will tell us that Bocanegra is lying about the banners having an effect on him too.

Good player, I'd hate to see him leave.

The "Go Home Yank" brigade are a fucking disgrace.

I said to my dad when I seen the "Yanks no thanks" banner that they people doing it are fucking morons because at the time I think we had 2 Americans on the pitch with one on the bench.

Bit moronic if you ask me.

I hadn't considered the impact that banner might have had on the American players before. I was against it anyway, but i wonder how much things like that affect them?

It must do, players are humans too and it must of hurt him and Ale and Mo, especialy after the sacrfices made.

Surprised that he said that in a way. Usually footballers are masters of saying nothing in interviews. Would be fully supportive of him though. Deserves his wage more than most. Would be really uplifting if he could remain at the club. What a mentor for Ross Perry. Fingers crossed