Court Victory could finish Rangers

Surely the difference between Sion and Rangers cases was that although Swiss courts upheld Sion case that ruling only stands in Switzerland and being a UEFA competition Sion were "persuaded" to go to CAS who found for UEFA.

Then I think there was talk of sanctions including banning national side etc if Swiss FA did not take action against Sion which they had little option but to as told and Sion were deducted three points for every game they fielded an ineligible player. Despite the Swiss trying to replace Sion with a replacement team UEFA ruled in favour of Celtic :anguish: to avoid having to replay all the games presumably.

Sort went something like that if memory serves

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Greechan from the Daily Mail but it was some "leading sports lawyer" Dan Chapman that's been quoted in the article

That fanny Greechan has been giving us pelters for months now. Check out his picture in the Daily Mail, he looks as if he has sat on a No.2. Walloper.

It's the thing I absolutely hate about UEFA, FIFA... They simply ignore courts of law. Totally beyond me how they can do this. In any event, we need to keep at it and force their hand. Expulsion? Might be an option...but does anyone think they would have the balls?

It's the thing I absolutely hate about UEFA, FIFA... They simply ignore courts of law. Totally beyond me how they can do this. In any event, we need to keep at it and force their hand. Expulsion? Might be an option...but does anyone think they would have the balls?

They only ignore any court that doesn't come under eu law, they have never won a case in the eu court.

If you remember a couple of years back, Celtic got into the group stages of the Champions League despite losing the qualifying round because the other team had a transfer ban that was overturned by the courts and were therefore banned for fielding ineligible players. The football authorities eventually won their battle with the courts over the matter.

Last year. Europa League.

Been in #Rangers court hearing this morning. Judge will give his decision at 3.30pm. -- Cara Sulieman (@carasulieman)

Cara Sulieman ‏@carasulieman

There was lots of legal argument this morning - hard to get head round. Essentially #rangers think the tribunal's decision was unlawful.

There was lots of legal argument this morning - hard to get head round. Essentially #rangers think the tribunal's decision was unlawful.

They also discussed jurisdiction - SFA argued #Rangers should've appealed to Court of Arbitration for Sport, not to Court of Session.

But #Rangers say there is nothing in SFA rules which give them the right to appeal to CAS.

The other discussion centred around what would happen if the judge agreed with #Rangers.

#Rangers argued it should go back to start and be sent to SFA tribunal. SFA want them to send it back to appeal tribunal.

Of course, SFA actually want the petition dismissed and for the sanction to stand.

The arguments from both sides as to why sanctions should stand or not were given at hearing on Friday. #Rangers

Hope you can understand that!

Been in #Rangers court hearing this morning. Judge will give his decision at 3.30pm. -- Cara Sulieman (@carasulieman)

The hand wringing fhan boys urny gonny be liking that, :lol: :lol:

The arguments will probably not just be because the SFA have made a judgment that Rangers don't like and so take them to court. One of the leading argument may be that the SFA has as duty to act as a regulatory body when it comes to football matters, but can the sanctions the SFA seek to impose on Rangers mutate further than that and have consequences beyond purely football matters?

The way I read it, murder was only illegal on Wednesday afternoons in Cleethorpes.

©Shitty boss analogies.

It is a matter of interpretation what constitutes self defence. Or indeed, the distinction between murder and manslaughter. (tu)

It is a matter of interpretation what constitutes self defence. Or indeed, the distinction between murder and manslaughter. (tu)

If you murders caseyjones i would stand up in court for you and say it was Manslaughter. :sherlock:

The arguments will probably not just be because the SFA have made a judgment that Rangers don't like and so take them to court. One of the leading argument may be that the SFA has as duty to act as a regulatory body when it comes to football matters, but can the sanctions the SFA seek to impose on Rangers mutate further than that and have consequences beyond purely football matters?

i think rangers have a strong case. no other club anywher ein the world has ever been hit with a transfer embargo as a punishment for going into administration. The SFA claim it is due to non-paymnet of tax... the majority of clubs that go into administration is due to non payment of tax.

It also has to be considered that the registration embargo could breach EU trade laws. I say this after having read some of the legal issue surrounding the David Haye vs Derek Chisora fight this summer. The British Boxing Board of Control (a governing body in the UK for sport, much like the SFA) gace Chisora a ridiculous punishment of revoking his licnce and telling him he could re-apply elsewhere, or with them at a later date. To clarify, this wasn't a ban. If you are banned, you go on a banned list which is usually then respected by other governing bodies.

So, Chisora went and got a licence with the Luxembourg comission. However the fight is happening in London at Upton park.

There was alot of confusion with people wondering how he could be licenced by Luxembourg, unlicenced in the UK, and fight in the UK.

well, in europe we have 'trde laws' which allow people to 'trad'e anywhere within the union. So because Chisora is offially a boxer who is licenced by an EU comission, the trade alws allow him to to fight anywhere within the EU.

The british boxing Board of Control are completely powerless to stop it.

That's a good example of how courts & laws have authority over sporting bodies.

and in the case of UEFA/FIFA Vs FC Sion, FIFA ultimately won their case in the court of sport arbitration. Had they lost, they would have had to abide by the court.

i think rangers have a strong case. no other club anywher ein the world has ever been hit with a transfer embargo as a punishment for going into administration. The SFA claim it is due to non-paymnet of tax... the majority of clubs that go into administration is due to non payment of tax.

It also has to be considered that the registration embargo could breach EU trade laws. I say this after having read some of the legal issue surrounding the David Haye vs Derek Chisora fight this summer. The British Boxing Board of Control (a governing body in the UK for sport, much like the SFA) gace Chisora a ridiculous punishment of revoking his licnce and telling him he could re-apply elsewhere, or with them at a later date. To clarify, this wasn't a ban. If you are banned, you go on a banned list which is usually then respected by other governing bodies.

So, Chisora went and got a licence with the Luxembourg comission. However the fight is happening in London at Upton park.

There was alot of confusion with people wondering how he could be licenced by Luxembourg, unlicenced in the UK, and fight in the UK.

well, in europe we have 'trde laws' which allow people to 'trad'e anywhere within the union. So because Chisora is offially a boxer who is licenced by an EU comission, the trade alws allow him to to fight anywhere within the EU.

The british boxing Board of Control are completely powerless to stop it.

That's a good example of how courts & laws have authority over sporting bodies.

and in the case of UEFA/FIFA Vs FC Sion, FIFA ultimately won their case in the court of sport arbitration. Had they lost, they would have had to abide by the court.

It is also a very good example of how a sporting body is a regulatory body as long as it acts within its own parameters. The fact that Chisora acted beyond what his home sporting body could do clearly defines it as a regulatory body. The argument Rangers may have against the transfer embargo, is if it goes beyond mere regulation in a sporting context; or certainly beyond the SFA merely carrying out a football sanction.

The SFA is essentially a club, and like any club, if a member breaks the rules they are not obliged to retain them, no matter what the Court of Session says on the matter.

I agree with this in theory but the Rangers case is different IMO.

I think the SFA would have a nightmare of a time trying to expel Rangers. As I pointed out in an earlier thread re. SPL sanctions, Rangers are also a minority stakeholder in 'The Scottish Football Association Limited' and are therefore entitled to protection from unfair prejudice under the Companies Act.

If Rangers' membership of the SFA is terminated on the back of Rangers challenging the interpretation of a provision in the articles of the SFA, there is surely a strong case to be made that this would amount to unfair prejudice.

It is also a very good example of how a sporting body is a regulatory body as long as it acts within its own parameters. The fact that Chisora acted beyond what his home sporting body could do clearly defines it as a regulatory body. The argument Rangers may have against the transfer embargo, is if it goes beyond mere regulation in a sporting context; or certainly beyond the SFA merely carrying out a football sanction.

well, i think perhaps the strongest arguement is that the 'football sanction' in this case is the 10 point deduction. We accpet that. Everyone does, we all know the rules, you go into admin, you get hit with a 10 point deduction. Fair's fair.

but to then be stuffed with a further sanction, that isn;t laid out, but just made up by a panel, and a sanction that goes beyond a footballing sanction, it's a sanction on the businesses ability to trade and move forward from it's current financial predicament by replacing expensive players with cheaper ones. If i'm not mistaken, this embargo is actaully only a registration embargo. Meaning that Rangers can sign players if they wish, it's just the case that the SFA won't register them for 1 year, which ofcourse denies any signed players the right to work, if they are over 18.

Part of me wants the Scottish Fenian Society (SFA) to go ahead with this threat - football's top flight (SPL) would be dead before the start of the new season.

Another part of me wants us to win this case and for them to run away, too scared to do anything, tale tucked firmly between their fucking bandy legs.

The final part of me is hungry. :rolleyes:

Lunchtime. :P

Part of me wants the Scottish Fenian Society (SFA) to go ahead with this threat - football's top flight (SPL) would be dead before the start of the new season.

Another part of me wants us to win this case and for them to run away, too scared to do anything, tale tucked firmly between their fucking bandy legs.

The final part of me is hungry. :rolleyes:

Lunchtime. :P

Part of me wants to see Bogtrotter naked the big part i must add. :craphead: